PDA

View Full Version : Is it Safe to ask Your God/esses about other deities ?

Euphoria
October 16th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Hey,

Is it safe/right/wrong to ask your god/esses about other deities.
Personally i have often asked one of my patrons Bastet about some of the other goddesses and she has always explained to me and told me the Truth. I was just wondering what other peoples views were

Charysma

Twilight Garden
October 16th, 2001, 02:07 PM
This sounds like a *poll* question somehow. :D

Myst
October 16th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Why wouldn't it be?

Especially if you know She hasn't stricken you down for doing it already?

Euphoria
October 16th, 2001, 06:30 PM
i see what you mean although my goddesses havent striken me down for mixing and matching and people still say its right/wrong

Charysma

Danustouch
October 16th, 2001, 06:58 PM
"Hey...Artemis..have you run into Dionysius recently? Yeah..he was at a party with me and Bacchus last year..but I haven't seen him around...how's the guy doin' anyway?" kinda asking? ;)

Mairwen
October 16th, 2001, 08:25 PM
:rotfl:!

Myst
October 16th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Yeah but you didn't ask about mixing and matching, you asked about asking one deity about another.

Some people will tell you everything you do is wrong. Mixing and matching is up to you, unless your deity tells you otherwise (for instance Ann Moura mentions in one of her books how her current matron let her know what she thought of her new one).

seawitch
October 16th, 2001, 11:04 PM
i think absolutly. if you can't trust your deity, and feel open and honest with them you have a problem.

Avena
October 17th, 2001, 05:59 AM
To be honest my complete pagan path so far is the outcome of asking current deities which other deities could be helpful for me in the future. You know, when I felt like my "relationship" (in lack of a better expression) with e.g Athena would come to an end soon, I asked her for a lil hint who to "contact" next. I went good with it so far.

amberlaine
October 17th, 2001, 10:02 AM
This is a very interesting idea to me.

It would never have occured to me to do such a thing (since I'm a firm monotheist), but its interesting to hear what polytheists have to say about the matter.

Very interesting!

Xander67
October 17th, 2001, 11:37 AM
first of all, what right does anyone have to make a judgement on your spiritual well being? "everyone tells me im wrong" .......HUMBUG Chary! you can find justification or condemnation if you really look hard enough... but then again, why would you choose to seek aproval from your peers in that respect.......
to me that is a form of oppression or control.... we are all in this world together and should have the freedom to learn for ourselves... incidently, enlightenment is a very touchy subject for some.. and as far as mixing and matching....
well, I feel that sometimes , as you travel along, you grow, and you learn, and things you learn at one point is applicable to things in another....

and in respect to those who have the gall to tell you that you are wrong..... what is thier status, ...are they experts? I am no expert by any means but i see things as they are in my life and I thank the powers that be for MOL and all the moderators here at MW for provideing a place where we can all learn and share our expierences....

Mairwen
October 17th, 2001, 11:46 AM
BRAVO! Excellent post!! Excellent post!

kittiepoetrygod
October 17th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Myst
Why wouldn't it be?

Especially if you know She hasn't stricken you down for doing it already?

They might be conflicting deities. Lets say that you worship Loki, and then ask him what he thinks about Odin as your next Patron. I think he might be a little n-yay, don't you?

Not all goddess and gods are alike. If your patron is Yahweh, he might just think a little different than you about talking to Diana. Some might mind, most probably don't. However, you can't ignore that former bit because the majority don't.

Xander67
October 17th, 2001, 04:15 PM
wait a minute, conflicting dieties? sounds a bit political to me :)

Adrenaline Junkie
October 17th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by seawitch
i think absolutly. if you can't trust your deity, and feel open and honest with them you have a problem.

Well said.

loopy
October 17th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch
"Hey...Artemis..have you run into Dionysius recently? Yeah..he was at a party with me and Bacchus last year..but I haven't seen him around...how's the guy doin' anyway?" kinda asking? ;)

Hee! I've done that. :D:D

My opinion is, it never asks to hurt. I would assume that your God or Goddess knows you're doing it with the best intentions in mind, so even if you accidentally inquired about a deity they didn't necessarily embrace, they probably wouldn't set your house on fire.

Your cat, maybe...

;)

Euphoria
October 18th, 2001, 08:30 AM
OK personally my views on it are that you CAN ask your patrons about other deities ... they might not like it but if they dont then they will probably tell you .. in fact i was just making conversation and thought that it would be interesting to see other peoples take on it

I agree with that aswell ... perosnally i can trust my deities 100% and have never had any problems asking them anything

"everyone tells me im wrong" .......HUMBUG Chary

I never said that everyone tells me i'm wrong ... i said that some people say that mixing and matching are wrong ... and on the other hand poeple also say its right

you can find justification or condemnation if you really look hard enough...

That is also very true .... you can find what you want to find if you look hard enough

Yeah but you didn't ask about mixing and matching, you asked about asking one deity about another.

That again is true but i was only using mixing and matching as an example of conflicting views

"Hey...Artemis..have you run into Dionysius recently? Yeah..he was at a party with me and Bacchus last year..but I haven't seen him around...how's the guy doin' anyway?" kinda asking?

You never know that could happen lol

:heartthro Charysma :heartthro