PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Cat Resuce Experience

MorningDove030202
May 2nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
I had a sad experience today with a cat, I found a cat nearly dead lying in the median of a very busy highway. My husband saw the cat and asked me if he should turn around to get it. I said, sure, I'm a vet assistant, I feel obligated. Well, I walked up to this cat and it didn't budge and wasn't looking at me, so I thought it was dead, but when I got close it rolled over as if to atack, and then just went limp. I knew something was very very wrong, but I didn't want to get bitten (helllo Rabies?) so I scrufted the cat, and carried him back to the truck, wraped it up in a jacket. He was covered in ticks, and wasn't all there mentaly, I was afraid he was feral. But soon he relaxed and started to kneed the coat, so then I knew he was friendly and understood that I was there to help. He was very thin, but I didn't want to mess with him in the car (ie didn't want to get bit). So I called into work, "Hey it's me, I found a cat covered in ticks, let the Doc know I'm coming in ASAP, he's not acting normal, but not bleeding." Well, I rush into the hospital and take in to the back to get a proper look. I was going to do a FIV/Leuk test first, but the Doc took a look at his mouth. "He's an old cat, missing lots of teeth, very very very dehydrated, and probably in renal failure." Anne, another nurse, said this cat should be put to sleep, he's not going to make it. Now, I just lost a cat to renal failure, so I knew when I heard that, there was no hope. So, we had to put him to sleep. He was so dehydrated that the Doc had a hard time with it. I named him Mercy as I feel all cats should have a name on the day they die. I still feel like I rescued him, as least he didn't have to spend one more night out in the rain alone suffering.

Goddess Bless you Mercy! I'm glad I could be there to end your suffering. In the end you were loved.
Dove

ravenmyst
May 2nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
:sadeyes: :hugz:

ajna
May 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
:rubhead:
I'm glad you were able to make the cat's last moments better than they could have been.

enchancea
May 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
You did a wonderful thing

Ben Gruagach
May 2nd, 2005, 10:14 PM
You did a very special thing to help ease that cat's suffering. Thank you!

Valerie
May 2nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
:hugz: You eased his suffering, and that was all you can do at that point. He's in a much happier, pain free place now. :hugz:

Arinya
May 2nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
I think you gave him a few moments of happiness before he died, and you gave him someone that cares.
That's more than he would have gotten if left on the street to die.
:hugz:

ArKane
May 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
Wow. I have to thankyou for giving a defenless animal some diginity when it dies. No one deserves to die alone, especially not animals.

Have lots of karma.

Magicfuzzies
May 3rd, 2005, 01:34 AM
What you did was a beautiful thing.

You made the last moments of a cat that had obviously been going through a lot of suffering full of love and compassion.

I believe that the cat was thanking you when it was kneading your coat.

You were both blessed to have found each other and to have shared that moment of love. :hugz:

wolfos3d
May 3rd, 2005, 01:47 AM
You did a great thing! You eased its suffering. Made it so it wouldn't have to through anymore. :)

Flar's Freyja
May 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM
I'm sorry that the kitty had to be put to sleep, but glad that the Goddess used you to ease his transition.

Blessed be, Mercy.

BlackMagicalCat
May 3rd, 2005, 04:51 AM
That was sweet of you morning dove ,to show kindness to a lonely and dieing cat.Bless you.

ap Dafydd
May 3rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Agree with what everyone has said on this. It would have been easy to have just passed by and assumed it was dead already and who knows how long it would have lingered?

I hope she is reincarnated in your next kitten.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

evilslinkycat
May 3rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
:sadeyes: :hugz: The cat knew he was loved and cared for at the end.

MorningDove030202
May 3rd, 2005, 08:33 AM
I hope she is reincarnated in your next kitten.

That would be very cool. Maybe I will have to name my next cat Mercy.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, and sharing my sadness with me! :heartthro

Dove

Sowelu
May 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
I had a sad experience today with a cat, I found a cat nearly dead lying in the median of a very busy highway. My husband saw the cat and asked me if he should turn around to get it. I said, sure, I'm a vet assistant, I feel obligated. Well, I walked up to this cat and it didn't budge and wasn't looking at me, so I thought it was dead, but when I got close it rolled over as if to atack, and then just went limp. I knew something was very very wrong, but I didn't want to get bitten (helllo Rabies?) so I scrufted the cat, and carried him back to the truck, wraped it up in a jacket. He was covered in ticks, and wasn't all there mentaly, I was afraid he was feral. But soon he relaxed and started to kneed the coat, so then I knew he was friendly and understood that I was there to help. He was very thin, but I didn't want to mess with him in the car (ie didn't want to get bit). So I called into work, "Hey it's me, I found a cat covered in ticks, let the Doc know I'm coming in ASAP, he's not acting normal, but not bleeding." Well, I rush into the hospital and take in to the back to get a proper look. I was going to do a FIV/Leuk test first, but the Doc took a look at his mouth. "He's an old cat, missing lots of teeth, very very very dehydrated, and probably in renal failure." Anne, another nurse, said this cat should be put to sleep, he's not going to make it. Now, I just lost a cat to renal failure, so I knew when I heard that, there was no hope. So, we had to put him to sleep. He was so dehydrated that the Doc had a hard time with it. I named him Mercy as I feel all cats should have a name on the day they die. I still feel like I rescued him, as least he didn't have to spend one more night out in the rain alone suffering.

Goddess Bless you Mercy! I'm glad I could be there to end your suffering. In the end you were loved.
Dove

AWW!!!:rubhead: You have a huge heart! There needs to be many more people like you in the world!:heartthro

Catiana
May 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm glad he had someone like you with him in the end. :hugz:

LadyAutumnCat
May 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
:hugz: I'm crying here. What you did was wonderful. Mercy died with respect, love, and in warm loving arms.

Rowan Darkmoon
May 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM
:hugz: Your story brought tears to my eyes. He had someone who cared in the end. :hugz:

spooky
May 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM
that is the kindest thing i've heard of.

Isil Darkmoon
May 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Dammit. Now I'm sitting here crying >_< You did a wonderful, wonderful thing for Mercy, and you made his last day safe and secure and full of love and compassion.

The world needs more people like you.

DaNcInG_WiNd
May 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
http://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies2/frfrown2.gif:Ghttp://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies2/icon_petting.gif