PDA

View Full Version : What is your fav novel/author/reading style??

Starlight
October 18th, 2001, 02:14 PM
I was just wondering about everyone's favourite book/author/reading style in general was? My favourite Book in the whole world is Lightning By Dean Koontz. It's science Fiction/suspense. I also like Anne Rice. I love Vampire stories.

Lavender
October 18th, 2001, 02:41 PM
I love science fiction/fantasy books. I have several fav authors. Charles De Lint, Elizabeth Cunningham Anne Mc Caffery are some of my fav authors.

MammaStar
October 18th, 2001, 04:10 PM
hmmm....hard to really nail just one style or author down.

I like Anne Rice a lot and of course, Tolkien's books. LOVE LOTR!!!!! I just started reading Terry Brooks (see thread of that name) and Eshallet introduced me to the Dragonlance chronicle books, I like the Tracey Hickman & Margaret Weiss books best.

But I like to read all kinds of fiction. One book that I like very much was called White Oleander. I forgot who wrote it & i'm not home to check, but that was a good book. And this other book that I recently read, was called God on a Harley. That was prettygood too.

Then anything non-fiction about musicians. I'm such a groupie. LOL.

can't think of anything else right now. Brain on overload from work. :rolleyes:

Danustouch
October 18th, 2001, 04:25 PM
I like time period novels. I love medeivil novels...some fantasy..but only the ones along the lines of Mists of Avalon, etc. I am not a HUGE fan of the genre...only specific ones.

I mostly like love stories...what I call.."The great american novel". Ones with an "Americana" feel, along with a romantic plot. Like Bridges of Madison County, by Robert James Waller.

Beauty in the words, is verrrrrrrry important to me. Lots of description..beautiful, flowing, poetic lines. That's what gets to me.

Ever see City of Angels, the whole section where he is talking about that author (geez..can't recall the name of the author's) ability to describe what he's eating, and what he's feeling at each moment? Well...that's what I like in books. Books that are so artfully done, that it becomes almost a physical experience.

I also really love the classics. Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and I love Anais Nin.

Mythrel
October 18th, 2001, 05:18 PM
I love Fantasy novels.
I currently have 2 favorite series...
1. The Swords and the Lost Swords Series by Fred Saberhagen
2. Anything Dragonlance by Margret Wiess and Tracy Hickman

Mythrel

loopy
October 18th, 2001, 05:56 PM
I don't have a favorite book or author really (too many to choose from :D) but I tend to gravitate towards the new releases and bestsellers. Generally I just go with whatever sounds interesting. My collection is a smattering of classics, teen angst, comedies, Shakespeare, and sci-fi, with some horror and series that are technically for ages below mine but that I love anyway thrown in. :D:D

Starlight
October 18th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch

Ever see City of Angels, the whole section where he is talking about that author (geez..can't recall the name of the author's) ability to describe what he's eating, and what he's feeling at each moment? Well...that's what I like in books. Books that are so artfully done, that it becomes almost a physical experience.

I think his name was Hemmigway! :)

michellef
October 19th, 2001, 04:58 AM
my collection covers everything from classics from Austen to sci-fi. I don't have a favourite genre, but my favourite authors have to be Stephen King, Robert Jordan and Bill Bryson

BB
Michelle

Shy Hawk
October 19th, 2001, 12:14 PM
I just like books in general. I devour them, and spend all my money on them. Oh to work in a book store. Maybe I should demonstrate my devotion to their cause. :D

My generes are uh...oh I suppose fantasy, mythology, horror, and TONS of nonfiction.
My favorite sorts of nonfiction are History (all kinds), religion, philosophy, and oh I guess anything informative.

I am drawn to the classics, love Shakespeare....love Grimm's tales, love Around the World in 80 Days,...love Tolkien, Bible stories, poetry,...I guess most everything I can get my hands on.

I'm prone to fall for romantic writers. Not to be confused with romance novels...8O

Shadowulfe
October 19th, 2001, 12:42 PM
I would have to say my Fav book: "The Wishsong of Shannara" by Terry Brooks whom is also my fav author! my fav type of books is scifi/fantasy

blessings,
shadowulfe

Armitage
October 19th, 2001, 07:16 PM
I like modern fantasy, ie. Gaiman, Poppy Z. (I know she's more horror...) and cyberpunk, ie. Gibson, and Neal Stephenson.
Just picked up Wraeththu by Storm Constantine. Kickarse so far.

Starlight
October 20th, 2001, 10:44 AM
I'm reading a good one by Anne Rice called "Pandora" right now.

:shift:

Swanspirit
October 20th, 2001, 11:55 AM
This would be hard to pin down.......
I like "literature" ...... usually because it has something of worth....... while there is still style and readability.....
most of my favorite Authors are poets......
Emily ......stands out.... Elizabeth B.B.......
Willie is very cool....... there are SO MANY lol........
I just finished Marija Gimbutas "The Living Goddesses......remarkably well written ....
I like fiction only if really well done.....
I do like period novels .........sometimes.....
The Earth Children Series was well done......
and I LOVE really well written short stories .....
Love and Light
Swannie

Andromeda
October 20th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Starlight~ I read Pandora a few years ago and loved it. She is a great writer. I'm sure your love it. :)

Starlight
October 20th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Oh I do love it. this is my second time around. I also love :heartthro her "Interview With the Vampire" and "Vittorio":heartthro.

Siren
October 20th, 2001, 02:31 PM
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Swanspirit
October 20th, 2001, 03:13 PM
I remember it ......... and it has been many years......
Love and Light
Swannie

Lavender
October 20th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Siren
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Oh yes! I love that one too!