PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of Buddhism

CloudedMoon
May 10th, 2005, 01:55 AM
I have recently learn as much as possible about the Buddhist path, even though I am a committed pagan. I tried to think of ways to incorporate my new learning into my recent pagan lifestyle. A friend of mine, though, told me that I would not be commited to my pagan lifestyle and that the ideals would become overwhelming. I happen to not think this is a issue or problem as long as I take it a step at a time, however I would like to know how others feel about this. Thanks!

AmbivalentMirage
May 10th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I don't see how it could interfere with living a Pagan life. A Pagan life pretty much allows for the incorporation of anything! Buddhist principles are certainly not beyond the scope of that acceptance. I, too, have been reading a lot about Buddhism lately. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my curiousity. ;)

CosmicWhispers
May 10th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Buddhism has a lot to offer your pagan path. I do not think it
clashes with paganism. Especially since you can consider it
a life philosophy or a tool to help end personal suffering.
Buddhism has been adapted and modified by many cultures
such as Bon Po (I think that's what it was called) to make
Tibetan Buddhism and with Taoism to create Ch'an or Zen.
I have found many of the Buddha's teachings useful in my
pagan practice. Mindfulness has been extremely helpful for me.
Training and calming one's mind is not just for Buddhist.

Luminessence
May 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem. If you feel drawn to exploring Buddhism, then by all means do it. If you decide you want to integrate Buddhist ideals into your pagan path, then you should do that too. Otherwise you'll be letting your spiritual growth stagnate in the name of keeping your path pure.

BenSt
May 12th, 2005, 10:32 PM
One of the best things about Buddhism is that it is very fleixible, and by the time it has taken prominance, if it does that is, it teaches a whole different way of mind. I think it is very possible to incorporate Buddhist ideals into your Pagan practices becasue after all Buddhism teaches a way of life that reaches inwards for enlightenment...Paganism, although in a crude way, does exactly the same. The only real difference is that Buddhism seeks enlightenment through non attachment, while Paganism teaches soemwhat the opposite...that being said however the ideals are not so different. I suggest looking at the many differeing Buddhist traditions and see which one already corresponds with your beliefs...chooseing a tradition that is strictly Atheistic when you are a polytheistic might not be the best...perhaps Zen or the Vajrayana which does have Gods and Goddesses in it. Namaste

Tobias