PDA

View Full Version : 5 week old kittens have fleas!

Hope3645
May 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM
My cat is an outdoor cat, and had a three-kitten litter 5 weeks ago. I have been keeping her in the house (with the babies) because I want to get her fixed before she gets pregnant again. I also want to get homes for the babies, but I need to make sure they don't have worms, and to get rid of their fleas. I am thinking about giving them a rosemary bath because I've read that it kills fleas. All of the flea shampoos in the store (that I have seen) say that the kittens have to be at least 12 weeks old, and no longer nursing. Does anyone know about the rosemary? Any other products or advice?
Thanks!
Hope

ravenmyst
May 16th, 2005, 08:38 PM
cedar is supposed to repel them, how many are there, could you pick them? you would need to completely change bedding and treat mom at the same time.

halfwaynowhere
May 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
i think there is a shampoo formulated especially for kittens... i remember running into that problem when i had a litter of 5 3 week old kittens, i'm not sure how old they were when we did bathe them, but i'll go run out and check and see if i can find their shampoo and i'll tell you what it says...

ravenmyst
May 16th, 2005, 09:17 PM
that would be great, have impending kittens here too, unfortunately, didnt get money to fix them saved in time

halfwaynowhere
May 16th, 2005, 09:33 PM
okay, i found the shampoo we used.. it isn't a flea shampoo, just a cat shampoo, and its safe for cats all ages... its Sargeant's Cat Shampoo... the new stuff might have a different name, but its the plain Seargent's shampoo... its gentle enough for the kitties, and although it won't kill fleas, even just shampooing a cat can scare the fleas away...

Psypress
May 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
You can supposedly drown the fleas. You just have to immerse each little kitten's body into warm water for several minutes, or until the kittens toes start to wrinkle (kidding). But, seriously, the fleas should drown. I'm not really sure how long it would take for that to occur, though.
This method was something someone told me in passing, and I don't really know if it works. Might help to add rosemary oil to the water if you say that also helps.

It's a no-cost alternative, and worth a shot.

Good luck!

Hope3645
May 17th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will go to the pet store tomorrow to find the shampoo. Maybe I will add rosemary just in case. I bought a flea comb, and have been brushing them everyday for a week, but I just can't get them all. Now that I think about it though, when one picks fleas, or dips the comb, one drops the fleas into soapy water so that they will sink. So probably regular kitty shampoo will kill most of them. :)

MorningDove030202
May 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM
My mom (who isn't a Wiccan or a Witch LOL) always said that Bayberry repells fleas. There are also electronic gizmoes that repel fleas, which would be a good chemical free alturnative. You can also cut down on flea infestations by treating all the adult cats/dogs with one of the "back of the neck" flea products. If they jump to an adult they will get killed that way.

Dove

Anubis
May 21st, 2005, 02:40 PM
DO NOT USE ESSENTIAL OILS ON CATS OR KITTENS!!!!! To do so can cause liver damage or death!!!

On young kittens use Pert Plus Shampoo (yeah the people kind). It will kill most of the fleas .. also it is recommended for use on Greyhounds.

A single drop of Advantage (the one for cats) can also be used on kittens (I called the company about it a few years ago).. they cannot label it for use on young kittens in the USA because they have not run all the clinical trials... but it has been tested in Germany and the UK with positive results.