PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Reiki Class

Tangle
May 22nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
This summer Iím thinking about taking a Reiki class that my local Community Collage offers. It's costing a whole $150 for the first class then another $200 for the second part of the class. The thing is that the first class is only 8 hours long, split into two, four hour days, and same with the second class. Part of me tells me Iím getting ripped off when I could just purchase a good book on Reiki and learn from it, but a good friend of mine told me the person that teaches the class is very good and its well worth the money. Does anyone think that I $350 worth of classes will benefit me more then a good book(s) and asking questions from others? Is Reiki easier to learn about when it's being presented to you or by reading it out of a book?

Atena
May 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
I believe you can learn allot about reiki from a book, and you can certainly develop your reiki skills further using books, but to learn reiki you need a class.

I think you should follow your intuition and learn from a teacher that you feel good with. The person teaching the class may be wonderful, but if their energy does not agree with yours then it is not the right person for you.

The price seems average though there are those who charge more, and those who charge less.

There is a lot you learn in Reiki that you CAN NOT learn from a book. And you cannot practice reiki if you are not attuned to the energy by a reiki master. Nor can you move to the next level and receive the next attunement without proof of receiving your first.

You will need a good teacher to help you through the cleansing period between reiki levels. You will need a teacher to ask questions and you will need your fellow students for moral support, as well as for practice and sharing your experience, and sometimes for validation.

For me, Reiki is as much a technical learning as it is a spiritual journey. You can get the technical from a book.

Reiki attunes your body to a higher vibration frequency through a series of attunement practices. During an attunement, the aura of the student and master are joined and the student's vibrational frequency is permanently elevated. It is not something you feel on the physical, it is something you experience spiritually.

Reiki can help you develop spiritually as well as psychically. A good teacher will be there through this adjustment any time you need them. You cannot get that from a book.

Atena :)

Sage Rainsong
May 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM
I have seen it to be much more expensive. The attunements don't really feel like they do if you just try it yourself. My reiki sesstion was eight hours each. That is actually good. I saw one that went for an hour and a half and cost 250$

Aurin
May 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM
As mentioned before you must learn Reiki from a teacher - My level one attunement cost $200, my level two cost $250 - so your price is better than mine =).

Books can indeed be helpful but you need an attunement to actually perform what you'll read in the books =).

Lunacie
May 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
That's what my teacher charges for those classes and attunements. There are many ways of using energy to do healing work and for most you don't need any attunement, you just learn how to tap into the Universal energy. I was doing healing work for many years before getting my Reiki attunement. The way I work now isn't exactly Reiki but it is different than the way I was working before. I was drawing on personal energy and earth energy before, occasionally I would draw on lunar or star energy. I like using Universal energies and pretty much use them for any energy work I do now.

~Elise~
May 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Wow--I'm not charging enough then...I charge $35 for Level 1 and $50 for L2 and $100 for Master Level.

My Level 1 class takes a min. of 5 hours with just two students and more if there are quite a few students.

Hmmm....

Elise

Aurin
May 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Heh.. I think now that Reiki is becoming more accepted and teachers becoming more available the prices for classes are going down to reasonable levels - and then some. Pearls, for a 5 hour class I'd charge more than $35 - just for the time, you know? Ah well, that's just me =).

ruadhan
June 20th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I completely agree with everyone that said you must be attuned by a teacher in order to truly learn Reiki. Someone mentioned that Reiki is a spiritual journey as well as a technical one, and that was beautiful! I know the books can take you step by step in the process, but they can't answer questions, and they certainly can't provide that attunement process. It's well worth the money! If that is more than you wish to pay, I'd suggest doing some more research and seeing if someone else offers the class for less money. But money is only one part of it. Once you are attuned, you will have developed a very spiritual and real connection with your Reiki Master. Be sure that whoever teaches you is someone of good character, who you truly like, and someone that you respect.

Bright Blessings,

lover_m47
July 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Hello and blessings
I'd like to respond to your question about Reiki. I received my training and attunements from Dr.Gayle Kimball Phd, you can google her name and see all the books she's written. She is involved with so many different projects including energy balancing workshops, Reiki, and psychic awareness skills classes. She is amazing, but before I get off track (and I will) she charged me only $50 per level for my Reiki training. My point being (and somewhere I have one) if you look you will find someone desiring to get more healers in the community rather than making a lot of money. Also I have mixed feelings about a community college offering the classes, this is not math or science. And as everyone else for the most part said...Reiki can not be achieved from a book alone.

Peace and blessings and enjoy your journey

Bill (lover_m47)

Morgandria
July 19th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I noted that nowhere did Tangle say they would be getting an attunement - is this part of your class? If it's not...well, I wouldn't be paying that much for it.

Lunacie
July 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Ah well, attunements cannot be gotten from reading books, but not everyone needs the attunements to use the natural energies to heal. I was doing energy work for a dozen years before I took a Reiki One class and got my attunements. There are many systems in use for doing energy healing, and Reiki may be the only one that says we need an attunement.

ShamanFeather
July 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
La Ho Chi you need an attunement as well as tons more includig Karuna KI and many many more.

RedRaven
July 20th, 2005, 12:05 AM
go look around in yahoo groups. you can find groups of teachers who do attunements and training for free. I started reiki not too long ago, great teacher, didnt cost me a dime.

RR