PDA

View Full Version : Much Needed Advice!

LadyTrinity
June 8th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Okay I had some advice in a previous thread. But Ive been emailed this..

Dear Jenny;

We are pleased to tell you that your book is one of the
few we have selected from our great number of submissions
over this past 30 days. We are looking forward to publishing
your book and working with you.

Your communications thus far have indicated that you are
very serious about your book's success.

We are excited to get to work with you on editing your
book, the cover design & your book's marketing plan.

Attached is the copyright form, and in the next e-mail
your publishing contract. Please sign the copyright form
as the author and owner of the copyright. Please complete
sections 1-6 only. Please mail it back to us
along with the signed publishing contract, and enclosed returnable
deposit for $780 to American Book Publishing at P.O.
Box 65624, Salt Lake City, Ut 84165

If you have questions about the returnable deposit please read again
the page that you used to request our submission template
to submit your manuscript. We must sometimes ask deposits
of new never published authors, or authors who do not have
an agent or consumer reputation or following developed as yet.
Please read at: http://www.american-book.com/authorinfo.html (http://www.american-book.com/authorinfo.html)

Honestly.. I dont have that kind of money :yikes:
Is there a way to bargin with publishers. Like ask them to take that fee out of whatever sells :nuhuh:

LadyTrinity
June 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM
:awilly:

Yasmine Galenorn
June 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
This is a vanity press. Vanity presses are not in the business of selling your books, they're in the business of making money off your dreams. Did you read any of the advice I gave you before? A legitimate publisher pays YOU...not the other way around. A legitimate publisher does NOT charge you a fee for publishing your book.

If you want to self-publish, which is different than going through a legit publisher, there are cheaper ways to do it. You have to start reading up on the subject because this is a legal contract and nobody but a lawyer can or should give you legal advice.

Vanity presses do NOT promote your books, the books SELDOM reach bookstores, and they seldom make back the initial investment.

Read this: http://www.sfwa.org/beware/subsidypublishers.html and then rethink it.

I don't mean to sound abrupt, but if you want to be in the book business, you HAVE to know what you're doing, and you HAVE to start studying. You can't just pound out a book, stick it in an envelope, and send it off hoping for the best. Publishing and writing don't work like that. It's a business, it's a craft, and it takes a lot of specialized knowledge which you can teach yourself, but you have to make the effort to do so.

Yasmine

LadyTrinity
June 8th, 2005, 09:13 PM
How do i find out which ones are vanity press and which arent. will it say on their site :smooch:

Yasmine Galenorn
June 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
How do i find out which ones are vanity press and which arent. will it say on their site :smooch:

Okay, here it is:

If they charge you any sort of fee UP FRONT...before your book comes out...then they are either a vanity or subsidy press. And a 'deposit' counts as a fee.

Not all publishers give advances (money given to you before the book comes out), but all traditional publishers pay for all the costs of producing that book before it comes out.

I want you to do something--go to the library. Look for the book Writers Market in the reference section. Start looking at all the different presses listed and see what they require. I also want you to start reading The Writer magazine, which you can usually find at the library. Okay? These will help.

Gotta run, have a conference tomorrow and I'm swamped.
Lady T, I'm just trying to save you a world of heartache and disappointment. I had a friend scammed for $8000 because he fell in with a vanity press. That's a lot of money.

Yasmine :colorful:

LadyTrinity
June 8th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Okay, here it is:

If they charge you any sort of fee UP FRONT...before your book comes out...then they are either a vanity or subsidy press. And a 'deposit' counts as a fee.

Not all publishers give advances (money given to you before the book comes out), but all traditional publishers pay for all the costs of producing that book before it comes out.

I want you to do something--go to the library. Look for the book Writers Market in the reference section. Start looking at all the different presses listed and see what they require. I also want you to start reading The Writer magazine, which you can usually find at the library. Okay? These will help.

Gotta run, have a conference tomorrow and I'm swamped.
Lady T, I'm just trying to save you a world of heartache and disappointment. I had a friend scammed for $8000 because he fell in with a vanity press. That's a lot of money.

Yasmine :colorful:

Thank you hon! I will go tomorrow! :bothsides