PDA

View Full Version : The Norse Sagas Thread

Darkdale
June 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Just curious as to which Sagas everyone has read and which ones were their favorites?

misty
June 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
The only one I have read is Beowolf. I read it in High School English Lit class, actually. I rather enjoyed it :).

Mjollnir
June 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Sagas of Icelanders(there are 18 total in it), Njals Saga, Sagas of Warrior Poets, Saga of the Volsungs,King Haralds Saga, Heimskringla( I guess you could count that also).

As far as faves? Egil's Saga, Njals Saga and a slew of others.

Rick
June 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
After 50 years, who still keps count? :smile: Favorite? Hrolf Kraki's Saga

Bethra
June 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The only one I have read is Beowolf. I read it in High School English Lit class, actually. I rather enjoyed it :).

Basicaly the same hear though I have also looking into Lokie and his stories. I think Beowolf is my favorite so far. :D

Mjollnir
June 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Basicaly the same hear though I have also looking into Lokie and his stories. I think Beowolf is my favorite so far. :D

Not to nitpick but Beowulf is an Anglo-Saxon poem whereas the Norse Saga's are Scandanavian mainly taking place in Iceland. If you want tales of Loki Bethra read any of the Norse myths or the Poetic Edda as Loki is in a number of the Eddic lays.

misty
June 9th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Not to nitpick but Beowulf is an Anglo-Saxon poem whereas the Norse Saga's are Scandanavian mainly taking place in Iceland.

:foopsies:

Rick
June 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM
:foopsies:
Aw, it's OK, I don't know Kemetic from Babylonian or witchy from Wicca... :alol:

Gyda
June 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Currently readnig Saga's of the Icelanders, have read the Vinland Saga's, I think thoughs are my favorite so far.

KellyP
June 24th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Wow. I am with Rick in not being able to keep up. Egil's Saga is my current favorite.

Even though it is Anglo-Saxon, Beowulf rocks! Can't wait to see it made into film.

Mjollnir
June 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Even though it is Anglo-Saxon, Beowulf rocks! Can't wait to see it made into film.

You know there are 3 in production.

Karma Chameleon
June 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Sagas of the Icelanders