PDA

View Full Version : Help! Save these dogs!

Amethyst Rose
June 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
This was just posted on freecycle.... if anyone can help save these dogs, please do! I'm sure if you can find the means you can take one, no matter where you are otherwise, people in Alberta would be the best bet.

"Long-time Mini Dachshund breeder, William (Bill) Roper recently
passed away leaving his breeding kennel of dachshies in need of
homes. The dogs vary in age & colors; all are in excellent health; &
are CKC registered (whether or not the CKC papers can be located &
transfers obtained I do not know).

The Companion Animal Hospital has been providing vet services for
all of Bill's dogs & would probably be able to provide vet records
(306-783-3349).

Apparently Bill's son has allowed one week for the dogs to be placed
otherwise he is planning to have them euthanized. There are over 30
dogs in need of homes.

CONTACT PERSON:
Lorie 780-423-7655 - Or toll free number 877-260-6515 and ask for
Lorie. (This is the law office of Field Law in Edmonton where Lorie
works)."

I'm horrified that these dogs will be killed if they can't find homes....please, help if you can. Unfortunately, in my town only 2 dogs are allowed per house hold, or I'd take one.

BlueMoon13
June 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Damn, that sucks....Can the CKC find another breeder to take them, or at least some of them? Did you post this in Critter Chat,too. Poor pups.......

Amethyst Rose
June 17th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I donno....all I know is what was posted in that email on freecycle. I posted here to get the traffic... (bad, Amethyst, bad!!)....but if it gets moved, that's okay.

~*Ginger*~
June 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM
A Mini Dachshund!
I just wish!

Strega Del Vento
June 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM
:( I can't believe they'll be euthanized if they're not adopted out. That's cold. I'd definitely take one if we were able. But right now, we're holding off with pets until about another year, or we get a house. Whichever comes first.

Lunacie
June 17th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I wonder if they would be willing to ship a couple to Kansas? And I wonder how well the dogs would handle being shipped? We've been looking into getting another dog and were thinking a mini daschie would be nice. Heck, they're little, maybe two would be even better.

~*Ginger*~
June 17th, 2005, 11:14 PM
ooh, Lunacie, if they do, (consider shipping) let me know, ok...?

Willow Rosemerta
June 17th, 2005, 11:38 PM
OMG those poor puppies :(. I'd tell my mom about them, but we already have 14 dogs and my dad would KILL me. Heh. I hope that they do get a good home. Why does he want to euthanize them? He could just as easily put them in the SPCA and have people come and look at them. Unless he's already put them in there? :(

Lunacie
June 18th, 2005, 01:26 AM
There are several Dog Rescue places here in the US that take dogs like this and keep them until they can be adopted. I don't know if they have Dog Rescue in Canada. It sounds like Bill Junior doesn't have the time to take care of these dogs until homes can be found.

Lunacie
June 18th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I found an email addy for Animal Rescue Foundation in Alberta and sent them an email containing a copy of the post from freecycle. Hopefully someone will check their email tomorrow and check out the situation.

fangedeshana
June 18th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Poor babies... I'd love to take one... however getting to flown to Australia would be abit of an issue...

Amethyst Rose
June 18th, 2005, 01:47 AM
I found an email addy for Animal Rescue Foundation in Alberta and sent them an email containing a copy of the post from freecycle. Hopefully someone will check their email tomorrow and check out the situation.

That's wonderful, Lunacie!! Thank you!

Rua
June 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Can you send dogs through the mail? Ive wanted one of those dogs for years.

Valkie
June 18th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I'm going to copy this and repost on another pet forum I'm on.

Isil Darkmoon
June 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Can you send dogs through the mail? Ive wanted one of those dogs for years.

Mail, no. However, dogs can be transported by airplane as cargo, although it's usually in the range of $100-$400.

Also, if you're interested in getting one, look into the "drive for life" program--volunteers set up a relay of drivers, in about hour/two hour shifts to get companion animals away from high-kill shelters, being on 'death row', etc, to fosters, rescues, and forever homes.

There's a LJ community for the program here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/driveforlife/ (http://www.livejournal.com/community/driveforlife/)

They may be able to help you get a transport arranged or tell you where to go to set one up. (I've only worked with them on the driving end, so I don't actually know the process of setting up a drive.)

Rua
June 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Cool, thank you. I will definitly check that out.

Mail, no. However, dogs can be transported by airplane as cargo, although it's usually in the range of $100-$400.

Also, if you're interested in getting one, look into the "drive for life" program--volunteers set up a relay of drivers, in about hour/two hour shifts to get companion animals away from high-kill shelters, being on 'death row', etc, to fosters, rescues, and forever homes.

There's a LJ community for the program here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/driveforlife/ (http://www.livejournal.com/community/driveforlife/)

They may be able to help you get a transport arranged or tell you where to go to set one up. (I've only worked with them on the driving end, so I don't actually know the process of setting up a drive.)

Smiley Girl
June 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Awww... I live 3 hours away from Edmonton... and I want a puppy!! I always have. But... no money right now :( No job either. SO so so so sad :( I would take them all if I ONLY just had a job! :( I feel guilty...

Do they cost anything? I might be able to sucker my dad into getting one for me and keeping it until I get back... hehehe Possibly. But other than that, we won't be back for another 3 weeks :(

Isil Darkmoon
June 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM
This was just posted on freecycle.... if anyone can help save these dogs, please do! I'm sure if you can find the means you can take one, no matter where you are otherwise, people in Alberta would be the best bet.

(306-783-3349).

dogs in need of homes.

CONTACT PERSON:
works)."

I'm horrified that these dogs will be killed if they can't find homes....please, help if you can. Unfortunately, in my town only 2 dogs are allowed per house hold, or I'd take one.

Amythist, I hunted down some more resources for you:

http://www.wienerdogrescue.com/ (http://www.wienerdogrescue.com/)
canadian rescue based in Ontario. I know it's a good day's drive from you, but they might be able to arrange a mass pickup/transport for the little guys

http://www.doxie.org/ (http://www.doxie.org/)
A doxie-only group similar to "drive for life", transporting dogs across the U.S. and Canada. They sound like they could help get these guys to adoptive homes, if not the whole lot to the above rescue.

~*Ginger*~
June 18th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Isil Darkmoon, your a doll!

I've been running around online trying to figure out how to help these little feller's myself.
I want one sooo bad!

And can hardly stand the idea that they might not live if they don't get some help, it's made me moody all day...

ororo
June 19th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Those are my dream dogs! I've wanted one since childhood! I can't take one, but if anybody needs help, I'll try if I can to help you save them! My money would be best spent on them, then on trivial things for me. Contact me, anyone, if you need help. I'll see what I can do.

Lunacie, let us know if they help out. I just want to be able to sleep better at night knowing the dogs are safe.

What a cruel son! Bad karma should take its toll if he truly deserves it. What kind of extinuating (did I spell that right?) circumastances would force him to do such a thing?

Edit: I had to had the word "circumstances". I forgot it. Oops.

Lunacie
June 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately the email I sent to the rescue folks bounced back. *sigh*

I may try calling the person listed in the freecycle ad tomorrow and ask her about shipping a couple of the dogs to us in Kansas. If there are any that have already been spayed or neutered so that we wouldn't have to add that cost we might be able to afford to get them air-shipped.

bladeraven
June 19th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I just read this and was shocked!! Hopefully any better news than what was posted...*sending postive energy that a humane method can be found* what a horrible thing to do to pets that his dad loved!!

Amethyst Rose
June 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Do they cost anything? I might be able to sucker my dad into getting one for me and keeping it until I get back... hehehe Possibly. But other than that, we won't be back for another 3 weeks :(

Hi :) As far as I'm aware, because they were posted on freecycle, they are free. You're not allowed to post things there if there's going to be a charge for them, soooo.... That's why they're such a great deal...they're purebred, registered and they're free.

puppydoglove
June 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM

(306-783-3349).

dogs in need of homes.

CONTACT PERSON:
works)."

I would love a puppy but mom /ginger no but she wishes....