PDA

View Full Version : Biden says he'll run for president in 2008

Laisrean
June 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8278461/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8278461/)

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Joseph Biden said Sunday he intends to run for president in 2008, two decades after he dropped out of the race amid charges he plagiarized a British politician's speech.

"My intention now is to seek the nomination," Biden, of Delaware, said on CBS television's "Face the Nation." He said he would explore his support and decide by the end of this year -- a sign the race may get off to an early and competitive start.

"If in fact I think I have a clear shot at winning the nomination, by this November or December, then I'm going to seek the nomination," he said.

Biden is the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a frequent critic of President Bush's Iraq policy.

If Kerry has shown us anything, it is that Senators do not make good presidential candidates, because their voting record is available for all to see and criticize.

memnoch
June 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM
he would be great, make it another republican victory

Evendusk
June 24th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Does Biden think people have forgotten about the plagiarism charges that caused him to drop out of the run for the 1988 Dem presidential nomination?

Trithemius
June 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Looks like '08 might be a pretty interesting election. Biden throwing his name in the hat, continued speculation about Hillary, and Tom Tancredo has said he'll run if the Republicans don't come up with a viable candidate.

Darkdale
June 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Looks like '08 might be a pretty interesting election. Biden throwing his name in the hat, continued speculation about Hillary, and Tom Tancredo has said he'll run if the Republicans don't come up with a viable candidate.

Biden has also said that he would like to be Mark Warner's Vice Presidential pick. If he runs for president, he might run against whoever runs against Mark and then after doing enough damage, drop out and hope that Mark pays him back for the favor.

banondraig
June 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Does Biden think people have forgotten about the plagiarism charges that caused him to drop out of the run for the 1988 Dem presidential nomination?

i had, of course, i was only 12 then . . . which puts me, now, at the lower end of the age bracket that actually votes.

Saggitario
June 25th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I wonder if Pat Robertson will try to run for president again as well.

Sleet
June 25th, 2005, 04:35 PM
If Kerry has shown us anything, it is that Senators do not make good presidential candidates, because their voting record is available for all to see and criticize.

Bingo. And the necessary compromises it takes to make a good legislator hand context-free soundbite ammo to the opponent, on a silver platter.

TYRRHENUS
June 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Point the First, he's a Senator, and as Laisrean pointed out, the American people haven't elected a Senator for President since Kennedy. Biden's no Kennedy.
Second, he's a flip-flopping careerist far worse than Kerry.
Third, he's such a Republican collaborator he makes Joe Lieberman's brown nose pale by comparison.
Fourth, he's so wrapped around the finger of the Pro-Israel lobby that the entanglements he would create for this nation would be irreparable.
What an incredibly bad choice Biden would make.

Storm Moon
June 27th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I wonder if Pat Robertson will try to run for president again as well.

*runs to the bathroom and vomits*

stephy-sama
June 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I guess I'm too young to remember what this guy did wrong. Without me having to wikipedia this, does anyone mind filling us younglings in with their own words? I'm curious...

TYRRHENUS
June 28th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Well he voted for the war and he voted for the Patriot Act, which means he will never get the support of Democratic voters.
If the Democratic Party is so entrenched in the caucus system that it can not leave, the same caucus system which has failed liberal America so miserably the last 30 years, Biden will be able to spread money around the Iowa (or perhaps New Hampshire) Caucus. We will then be in the same position we were with Kerry in January 2004... we will have a candidate which the rank and file of the party itself can't get excited about. Most Democratic voters would show up to vote for him, but their lack of enthusiasm will be obvious to swing voters and susceptible Republicans. There is no way in hell the millions of liberal Democrats who haven't voted in years will be motivated to return to the party for Joe Biden. Young Democrats won't bother to knock on doors or drive the old ladies to the polls. Dean was able to do all these things, but that's another story...
As for the other thing, read this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/biden.htm).

DebLipp
June 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Biden doesn't have any support in the Democratic base. He's sided with the Republicans too often and his vote on the Bankruptcy bill (the Screw the SickŪ bill, that is) will haunt him. He won't make it out of Iowa.