PDA

View Full Version : question

metaphys
October 29th, 2001, 03:51 PM
I recently saw a shwo called scariest places on earth on YTV (a tv station in Canada) They were discussing an ancient druid chant that was only recently discovered to open a "portal" to the other side. The show centred around a family (the Olsen family) spending a nite in chillingham castle in new england. Im doing a report on spirits/ghost superstitions wanted to add this chant to my presentation. Im wondering if 1) anyone saw the show and 2) does any one know this chant or how I can find it. Any help that you can give me is greatly appreciated. thanks

Demeter
October 29th, 2001, 04:12 PM
The first thing to remember is that whenever someone talks about an "ancient druid" anything it is most likely something someone made up recently. Very little is known about the practices of the actual ancient druids. Modern druidism goes back (I think) to the Romantic movement of the 19th Century and is based on very spotty knowledge. I have found that the more ancient the alleged provenance of something, the newer it is.

Do you remember anything about how the chant went? Even a single phrase might help to identify it if it is a modern one.

Danustouch
October 29th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Chances are that was simply made up, if even the language was true. Chillingham Castle is in England, btw, not New England ;)

Xander67
November 4th, 2001, 05:51 AM
there is a sect of druids, claiming to preserve the ancient ways of the celts ..its called the OBD (order of ovates bards and druids) I think there are a few more knowledgeable on the subject than I am ...I do remember reading about a ritual called "the summoning of merlin" in which there was a circle cast of carved pumpkins with a candle in each, and a bonfire in the center of the circle, and a chant.... supposedly merlin's spirit would appear within the flame... Whether or not this is a true celtic ritual or a modern day made up ritual ... I dont know... but the ritual was supposed to be done at one of the "in between times" fog, midnight, dusk, dawn, or during a bad storm...

I remember the show you were talking about...if im not mistaken some creepy things happened to the family but then later on they found out it was all staged by the caretakers...I did not see all of the show just the first part

Danustouch
November 4th, 2001, 11:04 AM
If you are interested in Druid Chants...might I suggest the druid forum?

Some other books you might be interested in looking at, though I do not know how accurate they are, are...

The 21 lessons of Merlyn,
and..
The Lost Books of Merlyn

By Douglas Monroe.

Maggie
November 4th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch
If you are interested in Druid Chants...might I suggest the druid forum?

Some other books you might be interested in looking at, though I do not know how accurate they are, are...

The 21 lessons of Merlyn,
and..
The Lost Books of Merlyn

By Douglas Monroe.

These particular books are not well thought of, at least parts are based on known forgeries.

The OBOD is based in large part on the druid revivals of the 18th and 19th centuries. Since the old celtic society in general and the druids in particular were an oral society, there really isn't much in the way of specific practices known for sure. For history try authors such as Hutton, Ross, Piggot, and Ellis.

Regards,

Maggie

Danustouch
November 4th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Thanks Maggie. But..the chants and poetry in those books are nice, and can be adapted into a ceremony, just as anything else. But I agree that it is historically innacurate (I've read them both). It's just another of those sources that it's nice to file away, in case you might be able to adapt them into a ceremony, or something.

Maggie
November 5th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Danustouch
Thanks Maggie. But..the chants and poetry in those books are nice, and can be adapted into a ceremony, just as anything else. But I agree that it is historically innacurate (I've read them both). It's just another of those sources that it's nice to file away, in case you might be able to adapt them into a ceremony, or something.

I know some people who use them for that purpose, and even people who have totally trashed the books do admit there are some pieces in there useful for inspiration. The problem comes when those who are unfamiliar with history try to use them as a source of fact......the druids were NOT male vegetarians, for instance....and Monroe doesn't even hint that what he writes isn't in fact history.

Regards,

Maggie

Xander67
November 5th, 2001, 04:39 AM
that was the book LOL
21 lesons of merlin
that was where I read the ritual about summoning Merlin