PDA

View Full Version : To eat protein or fat...

Adrenaline Junkie
October 30th, 2001, 07:33 PM
I'm interested in getting bigger. Well a bigger muscle mass that is.

Should I eat protein or should I eat fat? or eat more of both?

Myst
November 2nd, 2001, 02:49 AM
Agh eat fat????? Are you nutty? Sorry, I know you're not :D

Muscle is made of PROTEIN

Eating fat will only make you gain FAT

Eating protein will help you gain MUSCLE

PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN - lean chicken, eggs, milk, cheese, even some pork n stuff! Ugh but not fat!

Silver Venus
November 5th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Yep I agree! Protein is the way to go :D
Eat all those yummy protein filled dishes as much as you can but try and stay of carbs and fat as much as possible but still balanced.

Demeter
November 5th, 2001, 07:07 PM
I'm an Atkins dieter. I lose weight eating a low-carb diet, because my metabolism is completely screwed up by carbs. I get lots of protein from meats, fish, chicken, and eggs, and what carbs I get are from leafy green vegetables (LOTS of leafy green vegetables) and some fruits. I get healthy fats from meats, butter, cream, olive oil, and fish (I try to avoid nasty corn oil, but there are times when you have no choice, unfortunately). No sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, corn or other really starchy stuff.

If you take a look at the literature, you will find very little actually supporting the theory that eating fat makes you fat. In fact, despite the low-fat diet espoused by the FDA and AMA, Americans are fatter than ever. In the days when meats and fats were a large part of the diet, but sugars and refined carbs were rare, people had much healthier cardiovascular systems.

If you are trying to gain muscle but don't otherwise have a weight problem, I'd advise lean proteins, chicken, fish, and eggs, lots of veggies, and whole grains (not refined white glop).

UnSolon
November 5th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Hey...

If you want to get muscle I would suggest protein... but you NEED good excercise or it wont do anything for you.

And North Americans are too fat because they eat too much. It doesent matter whether they eat too much protein or whatever (mind you we do eat WAY more meat than anyone else in the world) we are just gluttons.

lol... but life goes on...
Peace

Dellit Tandannon
November 6th, 2001, 12:56 AM
i suggest you go out to your local butcher and buy all their left-over fat. take this fat home and eat it. do this at least four times a day. you'll see results very quickly (most likely about two seconds after you eat it).

Myst
November 6th, 2001, 08:11 PM
btw I mentioned this thread to my fiance who's a bodybuilder (hellfire here at MW) and he went into this big lecture about what you should be doing for lifting and eating and supplements and he went on for like 2 mins then I said "hon, you're not getting it. all he wanted to know is if he should eat fat or protein" and then he wandered off with a building magazine... hehe :)

geo320
November 7th, 2001, 03:16 AM
if your're trying to put on muscle mass your going to need a healthy supply of protein (animal and non-animal). Fat is the most abundant source of energy to your body so don't skimp on vegtable fats like vegtable oils, because they'll help you. Animal and highly processed (hydrogonated fat) will not be as beneficial. Carbohydrates are what "made" you fat in the first place. First never eat carbs at least around three hours before you sleep! Because your body converts the complex sugar into adipose tissue....fat! Only eat carbs when you need quick energy...snacks...before a work out....etc. well a decent diet with some good aerobic/anarobic exercise should build you right up!

Nyx
November 7th, 2001, 05:56 PM
You should remeber too, that there are two types of carbs, simple and complex. Those simple ones (sugars) can make you fat, but you do need carbs! Cutting them out completely is, in my opinion, a bad idea.
Carbs are your body's BEST source of energy. Protein is a horrible energy source, but it needed to build muscle and repair the body. (so, yes, protein over fat!) Cutting out both types of carbs, can, over time, destory your kidneys. Excess protein is a hard thing to process. Also, in order to get the most benefit from protien, you need carbs. They work best when they can be used together.
Also, you do need a certain amount of fat in your diet. Keep that in mind. Fat does serve a useful purpose, as long as you don't eat it in excess. (insulation, amongst other things)
So, cut back on those simple carbs, eat your protien (but don't over do it, 50% protien in your diet is far too much. 12%-15% in recommened, but I'd bump it up a bit if you plan to lift.), and be sure too keep you over all diet balanced. If you do plan to start working out hard, adjust your daily caloric intake accordingly. The more you work, the more energy you'll need.

WARNING: I am not a certified nutritionist! Any and all diet questions should be handled by a licensed professional! If you have any serious questions or any medical conditions, see your doctor before you make drastic changes in your eating habits!
It's better to be safe than dead.

~~Nyx~~

Silver Venus
November 7th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Thanks Nyx :D can you tell me more about complex and simple carbs? Are comples like rice and grains? & simple like bread and pasta?

Demeter
November 7th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Complex carbs are found in whole grains (brown rice, with the hull, not white, and breads made from whole grains, for example), veggies, fruits (although there's a lot of simple sugar in fruit too), nuts, seeds, and beans.

Simple carbs are found in most breads, baked goods, potatoes, white rice, pasta, anything made with white flour or sugar, honey, molasses, corn, dairy products, and eggs.

Nyx
November 7th, 2001, 09:11 PM
I think Demeter's said it all! :)

~~Nyx~~

Silver Venus
November 8th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Thank you both :D Thats a great help!
Ill stock up on brown rice now!
I love wholre grain bread so no change there.
I thought eggs were Protien though?
:sunny: