PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Witch Editorial Cartoon

Wyrdsister
November 1st, 2001, 01:16 AM
Merry Meet, all:

I've just read the post below in one of my Yahoo!Groups. It was posted and authored by a friend of mine, Scout, who lives in Toronto, Ontario. It's worth checking out the link below and worth having your say.

Wyrdsister

NOTE: The link below may not work! Try this one: --> Terrorist Witch Editorial Cartoon (http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=2cbbf82e737d35c6&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1002664932001&call_p)

Date: Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:51 pm
Subject: Terrorist Witch cartoon

Greetings,

The Toronto Star recently published a editorial cartoon of bin Laden portrayed as Witch. Not only is this an affront to our religion and our portrayal in the community, it is also in horrific bad taste!

Check out the cartoon at:

http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServerGXHC_gx_session_id_=2cbbf82e737d35c6&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1002664932001&call_p

It's a long addy, so ya might have to copy and paste it into the address bar of yer browser. I strongly encourage everyone to send a message to at least voice your outrage (assuming you are outraged). Some of the email addy's to send to are:

city@thestar.com
editorial@thestar.com
lettertoed@thestar.com

*Sigh*

Blessings,
Scout An Sionnach

Wyrdsister
November 1st, 2001, 01:26 AM
And here is the email response several people have received after emailing letters of complaint to The Toronto Star. This message is from The Star's Ombudsman.

Thank you for your e-mail about Theo Moudakis' recent editorial cartoon. As you probably know, editorial cartoonists use grotesque exaggeration, ridiculous stereotypes, and wild images to make their points. Those points are often satirical in nature, and not intended to be taken seriously. To me, anyway, the target in this case was Osama bin Laden, not peaceful wiccans. Regardless of what I think, The Star has published at least one letter from a wiccan who objected to the cartoon.

Regards,
Don Sellar
Ombud
416-869-4950

How about that "regardless of what I think" quip. He's the Ombudsman, for heaven's sake! It's not supposed to be about what he thinks! So much for even an illusion of objectivity. :rolleyes:

Wyrdsister

Swanspirit
November 1st, 2001, 01:52 AM
Bright Blessings
I feel it is necessary to inform you that the cartoon picturing a
terrorist as "witch" is extremely unfair and prejudicial to those of
us
who engage in Earth Based Religious practices who use the word
witch to describe our spiritual path.....
It has been difficult to continue to attempt to overcome the
common sterotypes that are portrayed in the media of witches as
"wicked " but this passes all understanding and is bigoted and
intolerant.
To be identified with this personification of evil is
heartwrenching and insufferable to those of us who are patriotic and
who have suffered and ARE suffering the effects of this terrorist
attack along with every other AMERICAN........... and who THIS
VERY HOLY NIGHT of SAMHAIN are revering our beloved ancestors
in ceremony and ritual and honoring as well those who passed at
the hands of the monster you so casually portray as a witch.
I am asking you to correct this grievous error that contributes
to the continued intolerance and bigotry and stereotyping shown to
the neo-pagan community .........who are more commonly known as
witches wiccans and druids and pagans.........it is completely
unfair .......
and not amusing...... I dont imagine anyone from any other
religion ... and we ARE a recognised religiion......would find
identification with a cartoon character portrayed as a terrorist
amusing ......or tolerable .....
Please correct this horrible and erroneous impression .......
Thank you
Love and light
Blessed Samhain
SwanSpirit

who knows ..... maybe they will do something else.......

Myst
November 1st, 2001, 08:16 AM
Well, for one thing bin Laden was shown as the stereotypical image of a Witch. Since we know we aren't the stereotypical Witch then to me it's no big deal. It would've been different if they had put a picture of him up labelled Wiccan. I can see why some people would be upset, but I don't take this anymore seriously then those decorations that look like a stereotypical Witch slammed into a tree.

Seriously that's the first time I've found anything in Canada prejudiced against Pagans. I have friends who have been shot at or attacked for their beliefs; heck our ancestors were tortured and hung for theirs; I know some people protest against these sort of things because they don't want the Burning Times to happen again, but to me one satirical cartoon isn't *that* big a deal. Just MHO as usual.

Dellit Tandannon
November 1st, 2001, 12:35 PM
its a cartoon. nothing to worry about.

Euphoria
November 3rd, 2001, 07:00 PM
it may only be a cartton ... but u would never have seen him prtrayed as a christian . it would be "an affront to religious beliefs of the modern world" but they are more than happy to label him a witch

Dellit Tandannon
November 3rd, 2001, 07:22 PM
come on. someone had to see this coming. remember, people fear what they don't understand and the general public is pretty damn stupid which would mean that they fear a lot of things. when they fear something, they tend to over-exaggerate or just make stuff up. rather then taking offense we should be laughing at them for their idiocy.

Myst
November 3rd, 2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Euphoria
it may only be a cartton ... but u would never have seen him prtrayed as a christian . it would be "an affront to religious beliefs of the modern world" but they are more than happy to label him a witch

Probably because Christians were never portrayed as broom riding Satan worshippers while Witches were.

Xois
November 3rd, 2001, 08:06 PM
hehehe for some reason this reminds me of the exchange between a witch and a non-witch

non: What religion are you
witch: oh I am a witch
non: oh that's ridiculous...there is no such thing as witches...I don't believe in witches
witch: (with sly grin) oh thats ok if you don't believe in witches...don't worry, we believe in you

hehehe

I love that!

Xois

ps. dumb cartoon...but only becuase I am sick of the political cartoons at the moment...and might I add, REALLY unoriginal!

seawitch
November 3rd, 2001, 09:15 PM
i agree with myst and dellit. i don't find it offensive. and it is around halloween i am not surprised

Sequoia
November 5th, 2001, 06:24 AM
forgive me, but in my opinion, this is an aweful lot of hullaballoo over a silly drawing. I, for one, cracked up when I saw it. That was funny.

Look. You know you're not flying around on a broomstick with a freaky wig and pointy shoes and big butt, right? (hey, you could be flying on a broomstick. . . ^^;; it could happen ;) ) Yes, some cartoons are in bad taste. But I honestly am getting a little tired of people jumping around every stereotypical witch image. They're really cute half the time, and I seriously DOUBT that we're going to see any plushies that cackle when you squeeze them wearing ritual garb with a tag that says "Hi, I'm Belinda the Good Wiccan Witch. I come with an anarchy tatoo and I say ten phrases including 'Darn that Christ!' and 'Satan is the King.' "

c'mon. It's halloween season. There's gonna be stuff like that. It's people's way of trying to lighten things up. You wrote to the editor, s/he responded fairly, and stated that it was just a cartoon, a sarcastic satirical cartoon. It's not anti-Pagan. That's like saying a jolly drawing of Santa eating cookies is saying that all fat people are that way because they pig out on sweets. So don't sweat it. Because you know it's not true, and nobody's looking at it going "ooh, there go those darn witches! they're allied with Bin Laden!" They're just laughing at the sillyness of it.

Sometimes you need to just laugh. Because it's not all serious. Gods forbit if it were! ^_^ hehe

Illuminatus
November 5th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Better you should complain about having a stupid lame cartoon, rather than an offensive one. The thing looks like it was done at 3 in the morning with a print deadline at 4. I could make a better cartoon in MS Paint, and that's saying a lot.

kittiepoetrygod
November 5th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Hehe ... i think its pretty harmless .. I laughed and wasn't offended, so...

If they're going to attack Osama, then at least they are doing something fake rather than him in a circle with the Goddess standing next to him or something ... alot of people won't even associate the two ... my friend Elena refuses that Wiccans and Witches are even related ... and alot of people agree. I don't, bnut thats beside the point...