Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: have you got to belive in jesus to be christian?

have you got to belive in jesus to be christian?

I tried asking already on a christian forum and they threw me out,
    I donno why I mean I thought they always want poeple to become
    christian.

Anyway the thing is that I been thinking lately about how
    I don't realy fit in here with alot of things, I been raised pagan but
    its not like nothing I ever read of here and I been thinking how it
    must be OK to be a christian and be able to go to church with every
    one beliving the same thing and all praying together and everyone
    I know but my dad and me are christian and they all seem happy.

I mean we go to church somtimes but its cos its a real small town
    and everyones christian so we just go. So that no one talks.
    But we just laugh about it after and joke about the preacher and its
    a southern baptist church and it creeps me out. But anyways I was
    wondering if you realy got to belive in Jesus and the bible to be a
    christian, cos I'd realy like to find a church to go.

But I don't belive in Jesus at all and the bible don't mean nothing to
    me so I guess I'm realy asking if thats somthing real importent to
    them or is being a christian more about feeling the right things, cos
    I think in alot of ways I'm more like a christian in how I belive then
    a pagan, but that I don't belive in jesus or the bible.
    Last edited by lil_suzie; July 12th, 2005 at 01:24 AM.
    <center> <i> <br>
    .: with a sort of mental squint :. <br>
    </center> </i>

I'm not allowed to use PMs no more and if you send one I cant read it or reply

Um, yeah. The whole basis of Christianity is the belief of Jesus Christ--thus the name of the religion.

I know what you're saying, but you really can't be Christian unless you go along with the whole Jesus/Bible thing.

Have you thought of looking into other spiritual areas? Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, or any of the other 'isms' out there? Remember, there are many, MANY avenues to explore and maybe you can just take a little from column 'a' and some from column 'b' and form your own thing. You don't have to pigeon-hole yourself into just one religious direction...you can just take a little from each and enjoy it in your own way.

-----------><-------------
    Say it with me: Peace, Prosperity, Persistance.
    THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

Classic Flar: have to go asphyxiate clown
    SMILE! Irving loves you.
    HURRICANE PET HELP: Don't Forget The Pet!!!~~ Petfinder: Hurricane Site

Procrastinate Now, Don't Put It Off--Ellen DeG.

Jesus loves pipe-cleaners.
    Wtchy's Mood: I didn't mean to break Ernesto!

Ah... the question of the ages...

Suzie... You are asking a very valid quesion... and I hope I will be able to answer it for you. If not, then I will sincerely apologize, and pray someone else will be more able than I.
    The thoughts you are having are the
    exact same questions that Christians (even "good" Christians) ask themselves every single day of the year. They are the same thoughts that I have had for most of my life, and still have... despite the fact (or maybe because of the fact) that I am an ordained Christian minister. They are the same questions my son is asking himself every minute of the day (although he chose a path that I am not happy with).
    Actually, before I get into giving you my take on your post, let me give you a really short lesson on the life and times of Ringo:
    I was born to a "fake" Catholic who went to Mass every Sunday... that she felt like... and a Lutheran who didn't care about religion in any manner. My mother (the Catholic) was born to a devout Catholic (every day Mass, and all the trimmings), and a Pentacost- Tell me HER life wasn't hosed. I was almost 3 before I was baptised because they couldn't agree on which G-d I was going to serve. The Papist side won out, and I was an altar boy, and I was going to be a priest until I had sex and realized I would NEVER want to give that up.
    Fast forward through a Marine Corps career, and a nosedive away from the Church, and I found myself searching for...
    something I checked out all of the major Christian denominations, including the "non-denominational" churches that treated Sunday service like an Amway rally (no disrespect intended), and worried more about how many people you brought over than what was in your heart. I also checked into being a pagan, and learning the ways of the druid, and barking at rocks, and whatever the heck else I could find... and at the end of the day... I realized that it was what was in your heart and not on your resume that counted with the ethos.
    As time went on, I got married and had children, and knew I wanted to raise them with a healthy respect for a higher being/purpose, and with a religious upbringing of some sort, and went back to my roots, and had them baptised Catholic, and sent them to classes, and all of that. My intent was to allow them to decide when they turned of age what was right for them. After their mother and I split, I did some soul searching... again and found that the world of religion did not mesh with my views on G-d. I started reading my bible and did some praying (well, more like asking whomever was listening) to give me
    some kind of hint. The Absolute gave me a friend who began discussing G-d with me and made me realize that I didn't have to follow any organized religious path as long as I did what was right as often as possible and made amends when that wasn't possible.
    To put a cap on that, I am now an ordained minister and follow my own thoughts and beliefs into the afterlife. I still instill the same concepts of citizenship that we all attempt to give our kids, and rather than setting up a building where people can pretend that they are Christians, I set up a ministry where I work with people who no one else wants (Teens, bikers, "not our type of people", whomever wants to join in). I don't teach them about how MY G-d is the only one, or about how pagans and all of the others are going to sizzle and fry, or anything. I teach them about being decent human beings and about living the Golden Rule every moment of every day.
    Over the past 39 years, I have known people from all over the world, and all over the religious spectrum, and have found pagans to be more Christian acting than too many of the Christians that "truly believe". Yes, you need to believe in Christ Jesus, and His words and works to be a Christian, however you don't need to be a Christian to act like one. My thoughts are that none of us truly have it right, and that in the end, if we do follow the Golden Rule as often as possible, then we'll do OK.

Oh, BTW... if ANYONE tells you that they have the secret to spiritual success and that they are the only ones that know how to reach the afterlife, and happiness forevermore... HAUL YOUR COOKIES OUTTA THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope It Helps
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has a lot of people very unhappy and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

is offline Talula Fearie Dust ...sometimes
    On earth, near water, breathing air and loving the sun.
    I think you ought to research how the Bible was written and who the people were that wrote it, and then research how the Bible has been changed and interpreted over the ages.
    I think then that you realize that it was all founded totally in Paganism and it is all mythology, just as almost all, most famously ( I think, and love) the Greek Gods...Jesus is the same. He is based on someone and stories were passed and changed and yadda yadda.
    I took some random class in college and learned all that stuff! I had no idea I was taking that kind of a class! It was the best one I've ever taken!
    Anyway, I think if you are trying to be a Catholic type without believing it may not work. But if your doing the 10 commandment route...and adding a little freedom to it, that is a pagan mind frame.

Jesus was the first Pagan!

Quote Originally Posted by WtchyChick13
    Um, yeah. The whole basis of Christianity is the belief of Jesus Christ--thus the name of the religion.

I know what you're saying, but you really can't be Christian unless you go along with the whole Jesus/Bible thing.

Have you thought of looking into other spiritual areas? Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, or any of the other 'isms' out there? Remember, there are many, MANY avenues to explore and maybe you can just take a little from column 'a' and some from column 'b' and form your own thing. You don't have to pigeon-hole yourself into just one religious direction...you can just take a little from each and enjoy it in your own way.
    Well its not that I dont know what I belive cos I do and its just that its
    difrent then what most pagans belive and christians to, I'm not looking
    realy to take alittle from each. I guess I just want to be able to worship
    with other people and talk about my faith and not have to worry over saying
    the wrong thing and making poeple mad or saying I'm going to hell.
    <center> <i> <br>
    </center> </i>

I get what you're saying and I've also read the other posts--I think there is some excellent advice there. What I was really trying to say is that there are many paths in life and actually, many paths within the Christian faith. There is such an abundance of information out there that sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming when you're trying to search for something that will be just the right fit for you.

But maybe what you feel is in your heart may already be principles in a religion that you hadn't considered before. You sound like a very special person and even though the belief in Jesus isn't in you, your other beliefs may be those of say Buddhists and you didn't realize it.

Maybe check out the religion and spirituality forums right here at MW--we have many different types here and many special souls. You never know what you may find and that "ah-ha" moment that you're looking for maybe closer than you think.

I'll let you in on something--I was a very, VERY devout Christian for many a year. I went through every phase of it--from feeling forced to go to church as a kid, to becoming almost born-again and skipping my lunches in high school to go to mass. I went 9 times a week! Then a few things happened in my life that made me realize that it just wasn't for me and the teachings of the church didn't hold true to my belief system anymore.

I kind of 'wandered' for a few years feeling lost.

I found my current spiritual path quite by accident--although I don't believe in accidents. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that is why I'm Pagan today. I'm an eclectic meaning that I myself take a little from here and a little from there and it works for me. I've been a Pagan for almost 12 years now and have felt a peace in my soul that I haven't before.

You never know where or when the 'fit' will hit you--but I truly believe that it WILL fit you.

THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

SMILE! Irving loves you.

Quote Originally Posted by RingoShort
    you don't need to be a Christian to act like one. My thoughts are that none of us truly have it right, and that in the end, if we do follow the Golden Rule as often as possible, then we'll do OK.
    I asked this qeustion once of another christian I knew and he kinda said
    the same thing and he was such a good person and did so much good.
    He said that so long as you've got love in your heart you can't be far from
    the divine, and I belive that. I realy do, so why do so many poeple then
    seem to have so much hate in theres? Its so sad to me that poeple live
    without faith, I have faith and I pray all the time to be more of a good
    person to serve god but I just cant lie to myself about jesus and I dont
    think theres a single word from god in the bible any more then in any
    other book and what do books got to do with god anyway I mean gods
    right there all the time I can feel him working in me and thats truth to
    me not some stuff somone rote so long ago. I donno.

I guess I just feel alone is all. Cos I say these things and alot of pagans
    look at me funny and alot of christians to. I dont think jesus was the son
    of god, or I do actualy I think we are all gods children so he wasnt any
    more special then anyone. And I dont care that "he died for our sins"
    sinse I know poeple are good and born to serve god and there arent no
    sins to die for, to god. He was murdered yeah but alot of people
    are killed over what they belive and its horrible every time.

But thank you. You sound like a realy good person and I dont mean
    to say that your wrong about god but only to say that its wrong for
    me.
    Last edited by lil_suzie; July 12th, 2005 at 04:32 AM.
    <center> <i> <br>
    </center> </i>

You can try a unitarian church there are a lot of pagans and christians at them. It might give you what you are looking for.
    Yes people are talking about you behind your back. That is where all the laughter is coming from.
    Dear Lord, I pray for:
    Wisdom, To understand a man Love, To forgive him and Patience, For his moods Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength
    I'll just beat him to death. Amen!

Help support my girl scout http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...66#post4022166

msn princesspain13@hotmail.com aim aangellmouse yahoo aangell_666

My second favorite place on the net is neopets if you want to check it out here is a link http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?u...e=aangellmouse

Quote Originally Posted by Lola
    I dont get that, jesus was a jew and thats not a pagan, I get what your
    saying though about the bible being all stories and alot of its taken of
    other stories and ok. But see I dont care much for any of the stories
    or gods I think its a terrible thing to say god is one thing or another or make
    up stories about god. Its like lying and I hate lies.
    <center> <i> <br>
    </center> </i>

What? He was Jewish and Paganism has been around for thousands of years.

If this was a joke, I apologize.

THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

SMILE! Irving loves you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast