Thread: The world on its head - please donate

The world on its head - please donate

Wow... this past week... I've been up late, reading the news until I drop... crying over what's happened... shocked by how the government has utterly abandoned them, and caused the drowning of New Orleans by taking away the funding to keep the levees repaired...gutting FEMA... blaming the victims... children and the elderly and disabled dying even today as I post this...

I feel as though I'm in some kind of strange nightmare... and I'm 3000 miles away from it all. It's all laid bare. New Orleans has become a hellmouth.

Please, if you can, give generously to the charities trying to help. My August Willow's Place donation was to the Red Cross, September's donation will probably be split between the Humane Society and Officers of Avalon. I will also be donating what I can to the Pagan author auction being set up by Dorothy Morrison, M.R. Sellars and others. I plan to donate not only signed books, but one-of-a-kind crafts I've made as photo models for my upcoming book "More Witch Crafts". Please watch this thread and Dorothy's for more news as it happens.

Charity Links:
    www.redcross.org
    www.hsus.org/
    www.officersofavalon.com

Headline News Link:
    www.jabberwonk.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Willow Polson
    www.willowsplace.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Polson
    Please, if you can, give generously to the charities trying to help. My August Willow's Place donation was to the Red Cross, September's donation will probably be split between the Humane Society and Officers of Avalon. I will also be donating what I can to the Pagan author auction being set up by Dorothy Morrison, M.R. Sellars and others. I plan to donate not only signed books, but one-of-a-kind crafts I've made as photo models for my upcoming book "More Witch Crafts". Please watch this thread and Dorothy's for more news as it happens.
    [/URL]
    So far, I chose to give strictly through Avalon Cares: http://www.officersofavalon.com/index.php

In my Sept 3 entry in my blog, I made a list of organizations (hyperlinked) through which one can donate or otherwise help -- and I couldn't stop reading until I better understood the probabilities, facts, plans and failures that led to how the disaster played out and I made some notes along the way ... http://www.xanga.com/skin.asp?user=sari0009&nextdate=9%2F3%2F2005&cal=1 Doing this was my way of handling it ... of feeling at least a little useful instead of sitting there, helpless.

This morning I literally felt sick. Not only did I think of all those who still need help but I read more about Roberts. Who is in what capacity really does affect life and death and other hefty matters ... I wonder if that will be reflected in the turn out for the next election and in grass roots or other activism in the interim? I wish it didn't take tragedies to drive home the importance of a variety of civic duties.

Sigh. Sounds like a most excellent idea, the auction does.
    Last edited by sari0009; September 5th, 2005 at 05:35 PM.