Thread: Would a class on ecology for pagans be usefull?

Would a class on ecology for pagans be usefull?

I think it would be really cool to teach a basic course on ecology and environmental theory. I think understanding how natural systems interact and change and are affected by outside forces would be really useful for pagans and non-pagans alike. If I did this, I would present lessons in two froms, the science and the spiritual interpertation which would be a discussion. This way beliefs would not be intermingled with scientific facts but it would be more than -just- an ecology class. I wouldn't go into great depth (req algebra and calc) we'd just review the theory behind everything and then discuss how we feel that ties into our spirituality.

I've taken several college level courses on ecology and have a BA in Biology so I think I'm pretty qualified to teach a course like this. This course would also deal with current problems facing the earth (invasive species, global warming (whether or not its caused by people), habitat loss, pollution etc..) and ways these can be combated by the individual.

What do you think, would this be a good class?
    Yavanna Kementari

I would be interested

Sounds interesting
    I like long walks, especially taken by people who annoy me...

Once you face your inner fears everything else seems easy... ~ Thanks Bethra

If you can make it interesting, I'm in. I have had a bad track record with ecology and environmental science; I have a feeling I had bad teachers who didn't make the subject as interesting as it could've been. Hence, it bored me something stupid. I like that you're going the science and spiritual side of things, I think that's what's swinging me towards saing yes. I have done ecology classes before. I won't have to get up at 5 am to check traps for bandicoots, will I? :D Just kiding, that was only once and was quite fun once we'd gotten the hang of handling them. So, yeah, count me in.

Argent

Quote Originally Posted by argento_occhi
    I won't have to get up at 5 am to check traps for bandicoots, will I? :D

Argent
    Of course, what ecology class is complete with out the field work
    Man, I want to see a bandicoot!

I totally agree with you, science should be interesting and theres no reason it can't be fun. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty, just the basic theory and then have discussions on how people feel this new knowledge affects them spiritually. I want to include case studies and readings from secondary literature (optional, only if people want to go further in deapth). So rather than talking about abstracts we're actually learning about how animals/plants really interact with eachother and their environment.

So we'd talk about the classic snowshoe hare model of pred/prey cycles and the blue starfish example of keystone species. Then we could discuss how the scientifically supported natural cycles give us a better view of our life cycles, the wheel of the year, etc... It won't be limited to wicca, witchcraft, paganism, just whatever spirituality you happen to have. And of course, when it comes to spirituality, there are no wrong awnsers.
    Yavanna Kementari

let me know when you do it, i'll be delighted to sign up. I mean its pretty awesome how we are a world within worlds, from the flowing oceans to one single tree. There are several different communites all going on even within a foot of each other! How cool is that? I love learning about things like that.,
    Last edited by aluokaloo; September 28th, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close Packmates with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Quote Originally Posted by yavanna
    Of course, what ecology class is complete with out the field work
    Man, I want to see a bandicoot!

I totally agree with you, science should be interesting and theres no reason it can't be fun. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty, just the basic theory and then have discussions on how people feel this new knowledge affects them spiritually. I want to include case studies and readings from secondary literature (optional, only if people want to go further in deapth). So rather than talking about abstracts we're actually learning about how animals/plants really interact with eachother and their environment.

So we'd talk about the classic snowshoe hare model of pred/prey cycles and the blue starfish example of keystone species. Then we could discuss how the scientifically supported natural cycles give us a better view of our life cycles, the wheel of the year, etc... It won't be limited to wicca, witchcraft, paganism, just whatever spirituality you happen to have. And of course, when it comes to spirituality, there are no wrong awnsers.
    Well, that sounds like a mighty fine goal there. Count me in. I think I still have my wonderful Ecology texytx lying around somewhere too. That's really good at sending me to sleep.

Bandicoots are cool though. Cos we got to handle them too. It was a fun morning, despite the early rising.

Argent

You can add my hand to the vote.
    my.NAME.is.DURIEL.
    <--------------->
    We are the many-born. We are the immortal.
    We have been known by many names throughout the ages,
    though few have understood the truth of our existence.

Awesome. I will probably be starting it sometime in January. This will give me lots of time to prepare and get over moving

I'll keep you all posted as to a potential start up date

Thanks again!
    Yavanna Kementari

neat, glad to hear