Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I left my church

is offline We'll always be somewhere on the outside

Unhappy I left my church

I had to leave the church I was attending. I just didn't feel like my spiritual needs were being adressed or even considered. Most of the people there were upper middle class, were affiliated with our local college, and treated people that weren't like they didn't exist. My boyfriend also left because he felt the same way. It seemed that these people only cared about money and someone's financial and educational status. One lady literally laughed at me because I attend a junior college in my area. Well, excuse me for wanting to go to a place with smaller class sizes and no fratboy/sorority bullcrap (no offense).

Also, they tended to talk more about politics than faith in general. Well, if I want to hear crap like that, then I'll just turn on CNN and have at it. Totally ridiculous.

Oh, for the record, this was a Unitarian Universalist church. I always thought they would treat someone a little better than that, but apparently not. :bastard:

This makes me wonder if liberals are any better than conservatives...
    Last edited by Storm Moon; October 3rd, 2005 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Spelling sucks

just remember, no ones any better then anyone else. if they look down on you, its probably because there is something about themselves they dont like. btw, good for you and your boyfriend for leaving. its always better to find your own spiritual path rather then listen to someone else B.S. and good for you for going to a junior college!

Penthesilea's Castle, where my heart is..
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Moon
    This makes me wonder if liberals are any better than conservatives...
    When it comes to snobbery and making politics and material things more important than spirituality and the development of one's humanity, they are all the same. Not having my spiritual needs met is why I finally gave up on organized Christianity which I did a couple of decades before realizing I was a Pagan! Develop your spirituality the way the original Christians did, alone, with your boyfriend or with a small group of fellow seekers. You will be better for it.
    I'm an Evil Woman. FOREVER!
    Just deal with it!

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave. Gandhi

Truth Lives... and will not be hidden forever!

"En Erebos, Phos." Rev. Greg Crowfoot

“There is no “reality” that can not or will not change, no matter how real it seems to us, but we have to give it something to change TO.” Lynn Grabhorn. The “Excuse me, your life is waiting” Playbook.

Penthesilea's Castle banner by Flaire, Keyholder Banner by DonovanJoseph, all other banners and Rotations by Patriciaj, the Banner Goddess!

I wouldn't think the whole faith is like that, maybe just the church.

But, I talked to my parents who used to go to Unitarian services way back in the day. They said it was mostly discussing social and political issues, so I expect that part.

You can always look for another unitarian church too.

No worries love. But sad that a UU church has gone that route. I looked into the UU church here as they had a suppossed pagan service. but it turned out to be very churchy and also political.

HUGS.

BB
    DS.

is offline We'll always be somewhere on the outside
    Thanks for the support, guys There were and still are a few cool people there, and I don't really have anything against them all in general, but I just wish that they would live up to what they supposedly practice. I really see it as more of a social club than a church and it's sad.

Inside the looking glass...Off with her head!...OH NO!!!!!
    I'm saddened by this news. And congratulate you on your decision. It was the right one. What makes me so angry when I was reading your post is the fact that they belittled you because you go to a junior college. I go to a junior college too, DAMN IT. Does that mean I'm lower than dirt in their eyes? F-ING ASSHOLES!
    Last edited by Guinivere; October 3rd, 2005 at 03:40 AM.

Aah hun, I'm sorry that your needs weren't being met. Well, maybe you should go it alone, or just organize some friends/family who share similar beliefs and do what you do.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

how wonderful!

you are secure enough in your beliefs and feelings to make choices that are good for you

too many people aren't, and instead jut stick with teh status quo and whine

good for you choosing to search out a better fit for you

love
    hope

is offline Wondering where I left the TARDIS....
    Unfortunately, a large chunk of humanity is egocentric.

If I may ask... why did you choose to go to a church to begin with? There are always ways to get your needs filled without the BS.
    Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
    "While I dance I cannot judge,
    I cannot hate,
    I cannot seperate myself from life.
    I can only be joyful and whole.
    That is why I dance."
    --Hans Bos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast