Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Catholic or Protestant?

is offline In Love with Celtic Solstice
    gurlygurl wrote:
    I've heard that before, but the weird thing is, with very little resources and references of Jesus, ... we don't really know who Jesus was, I mean he may have been the uptight bastard(excuse my language) that radicals make you think he was, or he could've been more laid back like the pagans, witches, and hippies are today. But at the same time I think pagans interpret Christ like that and wow,,, it's just so confusing. I'd like to think he's more laid back then my past preacher, or my mom(some of the really radical people I had to deal with) but if I'm just saying that to make me feel better.
    Well said. The little we can piece together about Jesus has good points (like his acceptance of the poor and weak), and bad points (like his constantly putting religion ahead of family, "I came to bring not peace, but a sword" , and such).

Here is something I just posted about his on the "Jesus was a goddess worshipper" thread:

Quote:
    a book titled "Jesus and the Lost Goddess"..
    OK, there may be a book on it. However, we have very little primary data on Jesus, so little in fact that I've read it all. Literally thousands of books have been written saying jesus was anything you can think of, such as a communist, a capitalist, a fundmentalist, an armed revolutionary, a pacifist, a Catholic, a Protestant, a radical feminist, a magician, a doomsayer, a mormon, an aryan, a Jew, a Nazi, a hobo, a hippie, and just about anything else you can think of. All of them start by deciding what they want to make jesus into, then taking a few lines that are favorable to them, then ignoring everything else, and proceeding to spinning a grand story, filled with their own speculation.

You might want to compare several sources on the historical Jesus, and see which are supported by evidence, and decide based on an unbiased look at the evidence (here is a good overview: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html ).

Here is a good taped college class that examines all the evidence:
    http://www.teach12.com/ttc/assets/co....asp?pc=Search

Or, you could do what most people do (both Christians and non-Christians).

First, just decide what you'd like Jesus to have been, and just stick with that. Evidence is irrelevant. You may choose a book which supports your view, and ignore all other books.

Seriously though, I don't mean to sound aggressive - this is just the approach I see much more often than not - everyone seems to think that having Jesus agree with them will make them popular, so they make Jesus say whatever they want him to.

Hey, that gives me an idea - I should sell Jesus ventriloquist dummies and candy-coated Jesus candies (everyone also likes to sugar-coat Jesus)!

For the Catholic/Protestant thing - don't forget that they have two different Bibles. The Protestants took out 7 books, plus some paragraphs they didn't like out of books like Daniel. So if you say "I use the Catholic path by reading the KJV bible", that doesn't make sense. A common catholic- approved bible is the New American Bible (NAV). The NIV, NASB, MSG, AMP, NLT, KJV, NLV, ESV, CEV, NKJV, NIV-UK , KJ2, ASV, WE, YLT, DARBY, WYV, NIRV, etc are all different protestant bibles.

Take care-
    -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Neither actually. I have incorporated Christian Gnosticism into my practice for both it's mystical aspects, as well as it's acceptance of the feminine side of divinity.
    "God created humanity, but human beings create God. That is the way it is in the world - human beings make gods, and worship their creation. It would be appropriate for the gods to worship human beings!" - Gospel of Phillip 71:35 - 72:4

Cool hey

i was born of the protestant faith
    Kal
    Oak Knower
    The Chosen One

Opinion's are like asshole's...everybody has one
    Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides
    By the inequities of the selfish and the tyrany of evil men
    Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill
    Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness
    For he is truly his brothers keeper
    And the finder of lost children
    And i will strike down upon thee
    With great vengence and furious anger
    Those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers
    And you will know my name is the lord

WHEN I LAY MY VENGENCE UPON THEE

Ezechiel 25:17

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    I'm essentially protestant in my outlook but I was brought up that way. I'm not currently attending any given church.
    For most Pagans, a Place of Worship is usually a Grove, which is a Peacefull Place in a Forest or a Park.

So for most Pagans or Druids, a "Church" is referred to as a "Grove".

So do you have some sort of "Grove" at which you can Commune with Nature and be at Peace with the World?

KNR

Prodestant all the way baby! Presbyterian spesifically.

Violin Goddess
    THere's nothing TOO DAMN STUPID humans won't do!
    - Terry Prachitt

Quote Originally Posted by KiNoRonin
    For most Pagans, a Place of Worship is usually a Grove, which is a Peacefull Place in a Forest or a Park.

So for most Pagans or Druids, a "Church" is referred to as a "Grove".

So do you have some sort of "Grove" at which you can Commune with Nature and be at Peace with the World?

KNR
    When I was in youth group in high school I learnd that church wasn't a place, it was a verb. It meant people getting together to worship together. I liked that when I heard it.

Violin Goddess
    THere's nothing TOO DAMN STUPID humans won't do!
    - Terry Prachitt

is offline ::Wolf in Sheep's Clothing::
    I guess I can defined as Protestant, if Protestant = Christ-centered. I don't combine it with witchcraft or anything, though.
    ~ Ryden

My soul longed and even yearned
    for the courts of the LORD;
    My heart and my flesh sing for joy
    to the living God.
    ~ Psalm 84:2 ~

Don't conform, transform.
    ~ Romans 12:2 ~

::Christian::Spiritual::Learning::Growing::Living::

I was raised in an interfaith household were members practiced Roman Catholicism, Judaism, and a smattering of Green Faith as I like to call it. Meaning some extended family members were involved in celebration of the earth even if they didn't outwordly say so.
    I like to think I take the best all of these have to offer, as well as some Budhist and Hindu teachings, and incorporate them into my own concepts of the spirit world. Many of the concepts all use, (ie. some of the Ten Commandments, some of Jesus' and Sidhartha's teachings,etc.) are sound codes to live by, trouble for me comes in absolutes. While the Budhist dont practice absolutes, the concept of THE VOID is one I have trouble with. Today my blend of spirituality is my own, as is my relation with the Universe.
    Montani Semper
    Liberi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well... a little of both...

Deanna "Mother Slytherin"
    Loving newlywed to my "Gryffindor" since 12/12/2008
    Proud to:
    "The Chocolate Kid" (Age 5)
    "The Loaf of Bread/Loafie" (Age 1)
    "Meatball" (Newborn)

Occasional touches of Gnosticism and Mysticism.---shuvanilu
    "Calm down, Neddly diddily diddily diddily, doodily. They did their best shodaiddily iddily iddily diddily diddily. Gotta be nice, hostidididildilidilly ah HELL diddily ding dong crap! Can't you morons do anything RIGHT!?"---Ned Flanders

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast