Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Catholic or Protestant?

Catholicism, definitely.

Was raised Catholic, now attend the Episcopal Church, which is a better fit for me, so I would say Anglican, with a strong connection to Mary.
    "...You are a child of the universe;
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be..."

'Desiderata' Max Ehrmann 1927

Quote Originally Posted by gurlygurl2004 View Post
    Which branch or branches of the Christian faith do you incorporate in your faith?
    I was raised as a non practicing UCC, (Both sides of my family are very Protestant, although we should be either Catholic or Jewish on my mother's side- long story!), but have joined an Episcopal Church, and become very Anglo-Catholic. I even went on a week-long retreat to an Anglican nunnery last month, and did all sorts of things (saying the Hail Mary, making the sign of the Cross, genuflecting before the Crucifix before saying the Daily Offiice) that would have given my mother nervous twitches, and sent my grandparents running for their Bibles!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Roman Catholic! :D

nice thread

I'm just starting to return to my roots in Catholicism. I've always been attached to the saints and Mary, also some practices in the church such as prayers (the Hail Mary, of course and others). And having studied Paganism the last few years I see no problem in combining the two religions..yet!

I do have a question for all: do you choose to read a certain version of the bible (whether Protestant or Catholic, etc.) and does that have anything to do with your being a "Christo-pagan"?

I usually read the Protestant (66-book) Bible, but i do have a copy with the Catholic and Orthodox books in it. Having grown up Protestant, i find the question of how to consider these "extra" books; right now i respect them as part of Christian tradition, and i'm pretty sure at least some of them have been around since before Jesus came.
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

is offline 9/10 Christians agree, Im going to hell
    I just read a few of the posts and there is one thing that I would like to state. Catholicism doesn't refer to Roman Catholicism alone. To a RC, it would refer to the RC church alone, but to a greek (or a celt), it wouldn't.

That being said, I was raised Protestant (Methodist - which really is Anglican-lite), but changed my orientation when attending an ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran) church. Since then I have become more Catholic, particulary so after hearing that the literal translation view (which is decidedly non-Cathollic, Roman, Greek, Celtic, Martian) only appeared in the 20th century. Suddenly doubts began to form... were the people in the other 19 centuries wrong?

I began to look at my own prayer style. In the Bible, people prayed with their whole body. In my Methodist experience, we had a short-lived, sacred dance troupe, but no other physical involvement.

It was a great relief when I understood making the sign of the cross was a prayer. Just fish-tailed on the highway, almost got in an accident - sign of the cross. Keeping of with the flow of traffic and see cop lights, but they are after the person behind you? Sign of the cross.

And the Catholic view of the saints. My mom died, I still refer to her as "my Mom", same with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Just because he passed, it doesn't mean St. Dymphna and Francis aren't my siblings in Christ and I can communicate with them as I do with my deceased Mother (and not in a Norman Bates type of way).

And finally, my Church, Episcopalian by the way of Anglican, didn't separate during Luther's reformation. Do I consider Luther's reasons for splitting more noble than Hank VIII? Absolutely. It still isn't right for me to latch on to the reformation title when it is so obviously unfitting.
    Proud to be a "heretic"

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    I grew up in a very strict German Lutheran household (my grandmother raised me, and she was very religious), but I am also drawn to aspects of Catholicism, although I don't think I could ever be strictly Catholic.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

Which branch or branches of the Christian faith do you incorporate in your faith?
    Mormonism. I suppose that would fall under Protestantism in that it's not Catholic but I know it's not that simple, either.
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

I don't really incorporate and "branches" of Christianity into my faith. The only thing that I brought over to my path from Christianity was my belief on Salvation through Jesus Christ and worshiping God/Jesus/Holy Spirit (the divine). Other than that, all of my traditions and beliefs are mostly Pagan. I don't know if that really made a whole lot of sense lol.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast