Thread: The Pentagram

The Pentagram

The Pentagram is commonly known as an upright 5 pointed star surrounded in a circle. There are those who believe that the Pentagram is the two dimensional version, whereas the Pentacle is the three dimensional version (ie. drawing or inscription vs talisman). There are those who believe that the Pentagram is the star alone, and the Pentacle the star encircled. The thinking for that is that the "gram" refers to the geometrical shape - like a parallelogram, whereas "cle" refers to the circle around the 5 pointed shape. The pentacle may also be used to refer to the shallow dish inscribed with the 5 pointed shape that is laid on the altar.

As far as points, the 5 are often thought to represent the 4 natural elements and the element of spirit. They may also represent the 3 forms of Goddess (maiden, mother, crone) and the 2 forms of God (Lord of Light, Lord of Dark). Some believe that not only is one point upright, but 3 are, and 3 is a sacred number referring to the 3 faces of Goddess, the 3 stages of life (birth, life, death), etc.

Reversed, the pentagram has meant many things. While it is a symbol of Satanism there is more symbology behind it. The point of the star that spirit is attributed to is turned downwards, and can represent the elevation of material and elemental things above spirituality and divinity. The inverted pentagram is often used as well to symbolize the second level of initiation into a coven, which is often characterized by an exploration into the darker energy of the universe. The two points at top are often used to represent the two horns of the God, Pan, etc.

In general the symbol is for protection and spirituality. Recently it has become the most common symbol related to Paganism and Wicca. It is drawn in the invoking form to bring energies or entities forth, and in the banishing form to remove energies or entities. It is also drawn to represent all elements or as a welcome to each element as they are welcomed to the circle.

Clearly the symbolism and usage of the pentagram or pentacle are complex. It is up to the practitioner to draw their own conclusions as to the meanings and terminology, and to understand that others may feel differently.

is offline "God help you if I find pickles!"

Question

Myst,
    I've noticed that in your signature, there is a phrase: "From the Tower to the Star". Does this refer to the Tarot? What's the deal?
    "Often you hate most in others what you resent most in yourself."
    -Lucidia

"The older I grow, the more I become certain that it makes no difference what words we use to tell the same truths."
    -Taliesin, The Mists of Avalon

"I never allowed my schooling to interfere with my education."
    -Mark Twain

Olórin

Wow, I never thought about the Dark God and 3 Aspect of the Moon thing or some of the other things that were mentioned.

It also symbolizes the 5 senses, man spreaded out, 5 toes/fingers on each foot/hand, and 5 places Christ was wounded.

- White Draco -
    Just because the amount is less doesn't mean the value is any more. Ex : 1000 pennies = 10 bucks

"It's not how many breaths you take, it's how many breathtaking moments you make" - Jennifer Dickson-Brown.

Informative post, Myst.

Thanks.
    You're really lovely underneath it all...

The Tower is a time of tumultuous, often painful or difficult change. The star is rebirth and new hope. From the Tower to the Star means through the difficult times I will persevere until the joy of the Star is back again.

is offline "God help you if I find pickles!"
    That's excellent.
    "Often you hate most in others what you resent most in yourself."
    -Lucidia

"The older I grow, the more I become certain that it makes no difference what words we use to tell the same truths."
    -Taliesin, The Mists of Avalon

"I never allowed my schooling to interfere with my education."
    -Mark Twain

Olórin

Quote Originally Posted by white_draco View Post
    Wow, I never thought about the Dark God and 3 Aspect of the Moon thing or some of the other things that were mentioned.

It also symbolizes the 5 senses, man spreaded out, 5 toes/fingers on each foot/hand, and 5 places Christ was wounded.

- White Draco -
    Christ was wounded in seven places.

Head (thorns)
    Right hand (nail)
    Left hand (nail)
    Right foot (nail)
    Left foot (nail)
    The back (flogged on the way up Calvary)
    His chest (spear wound)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At some point I said that life should be more like, robocop riding a unicorn that happens to be defecating rainbows...

Well life just got a little bit better.

"Take a picture of an electron in one instant and again the next, it will have seen Andromeda, do the same for me, and I will have taken the same trip."

I continue to battle my word processor in hopes of producing something useful...

Forum Guide in New Pagans
    Don't forget to Adopt your n00bie!

I have been by Bear Dancing

Personally, I don't like using these symbols. They lost all meaning to me before they even had to chance to have any. Making my own helps me during ritual or whatever, so I'm cool. XD Does anyone else do this? D:
    -
    They lost meaning to me because my first exposure to pentagrams/pentacles was from the goth sub-culture (not surprisingly). Those symbols are extremely prevalent in the sub-culture's clothing and jewelery, however... I've said it before, most goths don't believe in magic/deities, so I doubt those who buy that stuff actually believe in the things we do. Some see those symbols, inverted or not, as just fashion accessories. Whether it's offensive or not is a different story. (I don't find it to be.) It was never taken seriously by my peers, so I never took it seriously. I joined the pagan sub-culture only recently, so MW is basically my first exposure to people who DO take it seriously and use it properly.