Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread: Desserts

is offline Eloquence belongs to the conquerer

Just a sec...

I'll go dig up some recipes and get back to ya... if I can read through the spilled batter!

is offline Eloquence belongs to the conquerer
    Ok here's three really yummy recipes! Enjoy!

My Favorite Strawberry Shortcake

1 quart strawberries, sliced
    ½ cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    ¾ cup milk
    Margarine or butter, softened
    Whipped Cream

1. Mix strawberries and ½ cup sugar. Let stand 1 hour.
    2. Heat oven to 450
    3. Cut shortening into flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk just until blended.
    4. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Gently smooth into ball. Knead 20 to 25 times. Roll ½ inch thick. Cut into 3-inch squares. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
    5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
    6. Split shortcakes horizontally in half while hot. Spread margarine on split sides. Fill with strawberries; replace tops. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
    I put these in the oven right when everyone starts eating dinner, then take them out and let them cool a little while people finish up.

Victoria Sponge Cake
    2 cups all purpose wheat flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 egg or egg substitute
    ¼ cup plus ½ tablespoon shortening
    1-1/3 cups water
    flavor of your choice (I used two tablespoons vanilla)
    1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
    2. Mix the first four ingredients together. Add the shortening and mix well. Add the water and flavor and mix 2 minutes.
    3. Pour into a greased 8 inch cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the middle is firm to the touch.
    4. Carefully flip the cake out of the pan onto a wire cooling rack or plate. Let cool. If keeping for over 12 hours, cover with wax paper.

Upside-Down French Toast
    1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
    6 large eggs
    1-1/2 cups whole milk
    2 tsp. vanilla
    Pinch of salt
    10 to 12 1-inch-thick slices of white bread
    Nutmeg
    1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
    2. While the oven heats up, divide the butter between two 9x13-inch baking dishes or skillets. Place them in the oven until the butter melts.
    3. Remove pans from oven and sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter, dividing between dishes. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the brown sugar, dividing equally.
    4. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt.
    5. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and place in baking dishes. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
    6. Uncover and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the toast is lightly golden. Invert slices onto warm plates. Lightly sprinkle the nutmeg over the slices and serve with berries or jam on the side.

This sticky, a post about all-hallowed desserts, has been on since Nov and is only TWO PAGES LONG?? This will NOT do. *off to raid my files*
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

Creamy Chocolate Pie

(I should preface this flurry of posts by saying that I've been collecting recipes for about 4 years now.)

CREAMY CHOCOLATE PIE

6 (1.45 oz) milk chocolate w/Almonds candy bars
    2 tbsp hot water
    8 oz frozen whipped topping -- thawed
    1 piecrust, 9"

Place candy bars and water in top of double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until candy bars melt. Cool about 20 minutes. Gradually fold in whipped topping. Spoon mix into piecrust. Chill 8 hours. Yield: about 8 servings.
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

Chocolate Eclair Cake

2 (3 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
    3 c milk
    1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 (16 oz) package chocolate graham crackers
    ¼ c milk
    1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 c white sugar
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and 3 c milk; mix well. Fold in whipped topping and beat with mixer for 2 minutes. In a buttered 9x13” baking dish, spread a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the dish. Spread ½ of the pudding mixture over crackers; then top with graham crackers. Spread remaining pudding over crackers. Top second pudding layer with another layer of crackers.
    To make topping: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine ¼ c milk, cocoa and sugar and allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Mix well and cool. Pour sauce over graham cracker layer and refrigerate until set; serve.

Black Forest Cherry Cake (Made Easy)

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 ½ pints whipping cream, whipped with powdered sugar and vanilla to taste
    6 maraschino cherries
    chocolate sprinkles
    Brandy or Rum (if desired)

Bake cake according to package instructions, 8" round pans are the best. Cool and with a large sharp knife, split each round to make two. You will have four rounds now. Sprinkle each round with Brandy or Rum. I found a nice cake splitter at the super market.

Place first round on cake plate top down, cover with ½ of cherry pie filling. Place next round on top, bottom up. Ice with ½" of whipped cream. Place next round on top, bottom down. Add remainder of cherry pie filling and place final round on top, top up.

Ice top and sides of cake with whipped cream, saving enough to decorate top with 9 stars. Top the center star with ½ cherry and the other stars with ¼ cherry. Sprinkle with chocolate and store in refrigerator. If you want to take it to a picnic, use cool whip in place of whipped cream.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 c creamy peanut butter
    1 c sugar
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 c Cool Whip or heavy cream
    1 chocolate graham cracker piecrust
    1 chocolate bar, shaved

Combine cream cheese, peanut butter and sugar; mix well. Separately, mix butter, vanilla, and Cool Whip or heavy cream. Combine with cream cheese mixture and pour into piecrust. Top with Cool Whip and the shaved chocolate bar. Refrigerate to set.

Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Muffin Cake

2 tablespoons packaged unseasoned breadcrumbs
    Crumb Topping:
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons butter
    Cake:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/4 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 stick butter, melted and cooled
    1 cup sour cream
    2 large eggs
    1 cup finely diced cored and peeled apple

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart charlotte mold or soufflé dish, or 9” tube pan and sprinkle with the bread crumbs, tapping out the excess.

Make Crumb topping: In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.

Make Cake: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice and cloves. In a small bowl, stir the butter, sour cream and eggs until well combined. Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture just until the batter is smooth and satiny. Stir in the apples. Spread the batter in prepared mold or pan. Sprinkle with the Crumb topping.

Bake the cake 1 hour, or until the crumbs are lightly browned and cake tester comes out clean. (If using a tube pan, start testing for doneness after 45 minutes). Cool the cake in the mold or pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a metal spatula or knife between cake and the side of the mold or pan to loosen the cake, then gently invert it onto a work surface and remove pan. Turn it over onto a wire rack and cool completely. Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Serves 6-8

Irish Cream Macadamia Nut Pie

5 eggs
    1 1/4 cups white sugar
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur
    1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    2 cups macadamia nuts
    1 - 9 inch pie shell

Cream together eggs, salt, sugar, and butter or margarine. Blend in corn syrup and liqueur. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake in a preheated 300F oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until browned. Cool. Makes 1 - 9 inch pie

1234 Cake

1 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    3 cups plain flour
    4 eggs
    2 level tsp. baking powder
    1 cup milk
    pinch of salt
    1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar, and add eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add, alternating with milk, to butter mixture. Bake in two greased and floured 9" round pans for 20-25 minutes.

Lemon Cheese Icing
    2 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    2 lemons
    "nearly a stick" of butter

Break the eggs in the top of a double boiler. Add the grated rind and juice of the 2 lemons. Add about half of the butter. Cook slowly in double boiler for about 30 minutes, stirring periodically. Then add remaining butter and beat well. Put Lemon Cheese on bottom layer of cake, top with top layer and remaining half. The sides will not be iced.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast