Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread: Desserts

I've been summoned, back to post more later... still have "cheesecakes" to sift thru....
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

Ok I'm back, back to candies & fudge...
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

Chocolate Mint Truffles

1 c (11.5-oz. pkg.) milk-chocolate chips
    1 c (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    c heavy whipping cream
    1 tbsp peppermint extract
    1 c finely chopped walnuts, toasted

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Place milk-chocolate and semi-sweet morsels in large mixer bowl. Heat cream to a gentle boil in small saucepan; pour over morsels. Let stand for 1 minute; stir until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 35 to 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir just until color lightens slightly. (Do not over mix, or truffles will be grainy.)

Drop by rounded tsp onto prepared baking sheet; refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes. Shape into balls; roll in walnuts. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

VARIATION: After rolling chocolate mixture into balls, freeze for 30 to 40 minutes. Microwave 1 3/4 c (11.5-oz package) milk chocolate chips and 3 tbsp vegetable shortening in medium, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Dip truffles into chocolate mixture; shake off excess. Place on foil-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Chocolate Bombe

1 bar (4 oz) Bakers semi sweet chocolate
    1/2 c finely chopped walnuts (black walnuts add best flavor) or pecans
    3 tbsp water
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 c whipping cream
    1 egg separated
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Stir chocolate in the water in top of double boiler until melted; remove from heat and add a little to egg yolk to temper it, then add this mixture to chocolate, cool until thickened. Add the vanilla and nuts and fold in the whipped cream. Beat egg white with cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into chocolate mixture. Line Bombe form (the middle size mixing bowl will work) with Saran wrap, then with ladyfingers or sponge cake. Pour in the chocolate mixture and place in refrigerator for four hours.

Turn out on serving plate and ice with another c of whipped cream flavored with 1/2 tsp rum and 2 tbsp powdered sugar. Garnish with shaved semi-sweet chocolate.

NOTE: You can double the recipe because they freeze well.

Hot Fudge Pudding

2 c (480 ml) water
    3/4 c (180 ml) sugar
    4 tbsp (60 ml) cocoa
    1 egg
    1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
    Dash of salt
    1/3 c (80 ml) flour
    1/2 c (120 ml) butter or margarine

Mix all ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is well blended and starts to thicken. Serve hot over ice cream, or cool, cover and refrigerate until set. Makes 4 servings.

NOTE: If you let the pudding set in the refrigerator, you can still heat it up later in the microwave to serve over ice cream.

Chocolate Cookie Pizza

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    Chocolate Pizza Sauce (below)
    1/2 cup pecan halves
    1/2 cup candy-coated chocolate candies
    1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted, if desired
    2 ounces white baking bars (white chocolate), from 6-ounce package, melted

Heat oven to 350 F. Mix butter, sugars, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour and baking soda (dough will be stiff). Pat dough in ungreased 12-inch pizza pan or into 12-inch circle on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes.

Make Chocolate Pizza Sauce; spread over baked layer. Immediately sprinkle with pecans, candies and coconut; press lightly. Drizzle with melted baking bars. Let stand until set. Remove from pan if desired. Cut into wedges.

Chocolate Pizza Sauce

1 bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 cup powdered sugar

Heat chocolate chips, butter and milk over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until chocolate is melted; remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar. Beat with wire whisk until smooth, glossy and spreadable. (If not glossy, stir in a few drops hot water).

Heavenly Hash

2 lb milk chocolate chips
    4 tbsp margarine
    1/4 c whipping cream
    14 oz sweetened condensed milk
    8 oz almonds
    8 oz pecans
    8 oz walnuts
    16 oz marshmallows
    20 oz maraschino cherries, chopped
    1 tsp vanilla

Prepare pan by greasing or buttering really well. Chop the cherries and set aside. Melt the margarine, whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and milk chocolate chips over medium heat, stirring constantly until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla until well blended. Add the marshmallows, nuts, and cherries until well covered. Pour immediately into prepared pan and cool on wire rack. Then cool completely in refrigerator until set.

Kool-Aid Sherbet

1 package Kool-Aid
    3 cups milk
    1 cup sugar
    1 tub whipped cream

Mix all together with electric mixer, freeze until thickened, then beat again, fold in whipped cream. Refreshing!

Fruit-Flavored Ice Cream Bon-Bons

2 c heavy cream
    1 small box sugar-free jello, any flavor

Blend all ingredients in a mixer on low speed until blended. Beat until stiff. Drop in tablespoon sized mounds on wax paper covered cookie sheet. Freeze until firm. Store lightly covered in freezer. About .3 grams carbohydrates per bon bon.

Mexican Cinnamon Crisps

8 ( 6 inch ) flour tortillas
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    Vegetable oil for frying

Cut tortilla into 6 wedges each. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon until well-mixed. In a large heavy saucepan or deep fat fryer, heat 4 inches of oil to 375. Fry tortilla triangles, several at a time, 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown.

With a slotted spatula, remove fried triangles to paper towels to drain. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Let cool completely.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast