Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread: Desserts

Cheesecake Sherbet

1 cup sugar
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour into 1-quart ice-cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Yield: 8 servings.
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

Crispy Bird’s Nests

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème (about 2 cups)
    ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1 can (5 oz.) chow mein noodles (about 3 cups)
    1 cup chopped chocolate candies

Combine marshmallow crème, peanut butter and butter; mix until well blended. Add noodles and chopped chocolate candies. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets; shape with greased fingers to form nests. Let stand until firm.

Dust bottom of nests lightly with confectioner’s sugar, if desired. Filled with chocolate candies before serving. Makes 10-12 nests.
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

DragonMom's Best Chocolate Fudge

This is it for tonite as Doc needs to get on. This one is one of my personal favorites, and a secret!!! shhhhhhhhhh.....

2 c sugar
    1/2 c butter – NO substitutions
    5 oz can (2/3 c) evaporated milk
    7 oz jar (2 c) marshmallow crème
    12 oz pkg (2 c) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3/4 tsp vanilla
    3/4 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Line a 9" square or 13x9" pan with buttered foil (or non-stick spray, but butter works best). In large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for exactly 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add marshmallow crème and chocolate chips; blend until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts.

Pour into prepared pan and cool to room temperature. Score fudge into 36 or 48 pieces with a sharp knife. Refrigerate until firm. Lift the foil out of the pan; remove fudge from foil. Using a large knife, cut through scored lines. Store fudge in fridge. Makes approx. 3 pounds.

Confetti Fudge: Substitute 2 c candy-coated chocolate pieces for walnuts. Stir 1 1/2 c candy pieces into fudge. After pouring into pan, sprinkle remaining 1/2 c over top; press lightly into warm fudge. Cool to room temperature; do NOT refrigerate before cutting. Continue as above; serve at room temperature.

Rocky Road Fudge: Stir in 2 c mini-marshmallows after vanilla and nuts; marshmallows should not melt completely. Quickly spread in pan.

Turtle Fudge: Substitute cashews for walnuts. Stir in 24 caramels, quartered, with cashews and vanilla. Cool to room temperature; do NOT refrigerate before cutting. Continue as above; serve at room temperature.

DragonMom...please adopt me. *shiny eyes* Your desserts sound great - I'll definitely be trying some! Thank you!
    Bored? Check out my deviantART gallery or my art Tumblr!

CARROT CHEESECAKE (sounds weird, but it's like a carrot cake/cheesecake)

Crust
    20 gingersnap cookies
    ½ C walnuts, toasted and cooled
    2 T each sugar and melted butter, cooled

Filling
    1 # baby carrots, boiled until tender and drained
    24 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese (also known as Neufchâtel cheese), softened
    1 C sugar
    1 T cornstarch
    1 ½ t ground cinnamon
    1 t ground ginger
    ¼ t vanilla extract
    3 eggs (large)
    ½ C reduced-fat sour cream

Topping
    16 oz tub of reduced fat sour cream
    ½ C sugar
    Food coloring liquid in red, yellow and green
    1 C toasted walnuts, chopped

Heat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9 inch springform pan with nonstick spray.

For crust: Pulse cookies and nuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add sugar and butter; process until blended. Press over bottom of pan. Bake 8 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Meanwhile, puree cooked carrots in food processor until completely smooth.
    For filling: Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with mixer on high speed until smooth. Add sugar, cornstarch, spices and vanilla. Reduce speed to medium; beat until very well blended. Add eggs; beat just until mixed. Stir (don’t beat) in carrots and sour cream just until blended. Pour into crust; spread evenly. Bake on a sheet of foil (to catch any drips) 50 to 55 minutes until cake is almost set, but still jiggly in center. Remove cake; leave oven on.
    For topping: Stir sour cream and sugar in a bowl to mix; remove and reserve ¼ cup. Spread rest evenly on cheesecake.
    To decorate: Tint 1T reserved topping orange (mix red and yellow food coloring) and 1 t green. Scrape into separate small ziplock bags. Cover and refrigerate leftover topping. Cut tip off corner of bag with orange topping; using a small back and forth motion, pipe 16 squiggly carrots on cake. Pipe green topping for stems. Return to oven; bake 5 minutes to set carrots. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
    Carefully run a think knife around edge of pan to release cake. Refrigerate in pan at least 8 hours until firm or up to 3 days.
    To serve: Remove pan sides and spread sides of cake with remaining topping, then pat on chopped nuts.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

RAINBOW COOKIES - Makes about 7 dozen diamonds.
    Active time: 2 3/4 hr Start to finish: 3 hr

7 oz marzipan paste or almond paste
    1 cup sugar
    3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
    4 large eggs, separated
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    5 drops green food coloring, or to desired color
    5 drops red food coloring, or to desired color
    12-oz jar raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
    6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 3 (13- by 9-inch) metal baking pans. Line bottom of each with wax paper, letting it extend at 2 opposite ends, and grease paper. Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor until no lumps remain. Transfer to a large bowl and add butter. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and beat well. Beat in flour and salt on low speed. Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff). Fold in remaining whites thoroughly. Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each). Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain. Spread each dough separately into a pan. (Layers will be thin.)
    Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total. Run a knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
    Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it. Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer. Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary). Cover with plastic wrap and weight with a large cutting board or baking pan. Chill at least 3 hours.
    Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer. Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal rows).
    Cooks’' note:
    • Do not make this dough ahead.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE

Crust
    ¾ C ground pecans
    ¾ C graham cracker crumbs
    3 T unsalted butter, melted

Filling
    32 oz cream cheese, softened
    4 eggs (large)
    1 ¼ C sugar
    1 T lemon juice
    2 t vanilla extract

Topping
    2 C sour cream
    ¼ C sugar
    1 t vanilla extract

Glaze
    ¼ C water
    2 T cornstarch
    12 oz strawberry jelly
    Red food coloring
    3 T orange flavored liquor or lemon juice
    1 qt fresh strawberries, hulled

For crust: Combine pecans, crumbs and butter. Press into 10 inch springform pan.
    For filling: Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix and spoon over crust. Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until filling is almost set (jiggle the pan to check). Remove from oven and let set for 15 minutes but leave oven on. Combine topping ingredients and spread on cake. Return to hot oven for 5 minutes. Cool to room temp. and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Several hours before serving make glaze: Combine hot water and cornstarch in saucepan and add jelly. Heat, stirring constantly until jelly is melted and it thickens. Remove from heat, add a few drops of food coloring and liquor or lemon juice. Cool glaze to room temp.

To serve: Loosen and remove sides of springform pan. Arrange strawberries on top of cake with pointed ends up. Spoon on glaze, allowing some to drip down sides.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I was going to post the lemonade cake but someone already did. It's been a favorite in our family for many years. We also love pineapple sheet cake.

PINEAPPLE SHEET CAKE

2 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 (15 1/2 oz.) can crushed pineapple, with juice

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
    1 c. brown sugar
    4 tbsp. margarine or butter

Mix flour, sugar, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, and pineapple (including juice) in a large bowl.
    Pour into a greased and floured 13x9 baking pan.
    Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes.

For frosting, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, and oleo/butter with mixer until smooth. Chopped nuts are good on top of the frosting.

Ah, candy ! I love toffee and this is an easy recipe...

Choco Toffee

35 saltine crackers
    1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 pkg (8 oz) chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.
    Line a 15x10 sheet cake pan with aluminum foil.
    Place crackers in pan in a single layer.
    Heat butter and sugar over med. heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
    Bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes without stirring.
    Spoon mixture carefully over crackers.
    Bake for 7 minutes.
    Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips, and let stand for 5 minutes, then spread melted chocolate evenly over crackers.
    Top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool and break into pieces.

I've also made this without the chocolate chips; with chocolate and peanut butter chips; and with white chocolate chips. With and without nuts.

Sitting in a corner thinking about what I have done
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonMom
    2 (3 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
    3 c milk
    1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 (16 oz) package chocolate graham crackers
    ¼ c milk
    1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 c white sugar
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and 3 c milk; mix well. Fold in whipped topping and beat with mixer for 2 minutes. In a buttered 9x13” baking dish, spread a layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the dish. Spread ½ of the pudding mixture over crackers; then top with graham crackers. Spread remaining pudding over crackers. Top second pudding layer with another layer of crackers.
    To make topping: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine ¼ c milk, cocoa and sugar and allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Mix well and cool. Pour sauce over graham cracker layer and refrigerate until set; serve.
    Wow DragonMom! You have almost all the same exact recipes I do!

Just a tip for those who are as lazy as me. On this Eclair cake, instead of making that topping I use any of those hardshell ice cream toppings. You need about 2 bottles. Just squeeze out over the top layer, and refrigerate.
    Last edited by Bronach Druid; March 3rd, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Thank You Sennefer!

"To me, photography is an art of observation.
    It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place...
    I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." ~ Elliot Erwitt

Once you have seen someones true colors,
    you can never paint over them. ~CLR~

is offline Eloquence belongs to the conquerer

Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMom
    This is it for tonite as Doc needs to get on. This one is one of my personal favorites, and a secret!!! shhhhhhhhhh.....

2 c sugar
    1/2 c butter – NO substitutions
    5 oz can (2/3 c) evaporated milk
    7 oz jar (2 c) marshmallow crème
    12 oz pkg (2 c) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3/4 tsp vanilla
    3/4 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Line a 9" square or 13x9" pan with buttered foil (or non-stick spray, but butter works best). In large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for exactly 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add marshmallow crème and chocolate chips; blend until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts.

Pour into prepared pan and cool to room temperature. Score fudge into 36 or 48 pieces with a sharp knife. Refrigerate until firm. Lift the foil out of the pan; remove fudge from foil. Using a large knife, cut through scored lines. Store fudge in fridge. Makes approx. 3 pounds.

Confetti Fudge: Substitute 2 c candy-coated chocolate pieces for walnuts. Stir 1 1/2 c candy pieces into fudge. After pouring into pan, sprinkle remaining 1/2 c over top; press lightly into warm fudge. Cool to room temperature; do NOT refrigerate before cutting. Continue as above; serve at room temperature.

Rocky Road Fudge: Stir in 2 c mini-marshmallows after vanilla and nuts; marshmallows should not melt completely. Quickly spread in pan.

Turtle Fudge: Substitute cashews for walnuts. Stir in 24 caramels, quartered, with cashews and vanilla. Cool to room temperature; do NOT refrigerate before cutting. Continue as above; serve at room temperature.
    DragonMom, THANK YOU! I've been looking for a good fudge recipe, and this one is to die for!
    It also helps because this week has been hard... a boy at my school killed himself and a girl almost died from bacterial menengitis... yes, I know that its bad to eat when you're stressed, but its my coping skill, ok!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast