Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Recipe Thread: Desserts

Hi everyone,

This recipe is in my mind right now as I've just made it. I make this cake every year for the solstice and Christmas and it's a really nice recipe for chocolate cake. I'm not actually sure where it came from but I do remembering editing it quite a bit so hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

Crackin' Yule Chocolate Cake

CAKE

125g of milk chocolate (or dark chocolate, if you want the cake to look darker; it doesn't taste much different)
    150g unsalted butter
    3 eggs
    3 table spoons of milk
    150g caster sugar
    200g plain flour
    1 table spoon of baking powder
    1 table spoon of cocoa powder
    1/2 table spoon of bicarbonate of sodar

ICING

1 table spoon of double cream
    1 table spoon of vanilla extract (or 1/2 table spoon of vanilla pods)
    75g unsalted butter
    175g icing sugar
    1 table spoon of cocoa powder

RECIPE

Preheat the oven. Butter the sides of a medium to large baking tin.

Melt the chocolate with the milk above a pan of boiling water until it's fully melted. Leave to cool slightly.

Beat the butter and add the sugar until soft and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and add the chocolate.

Sift the flour, bicarbonate of sodar, baking powder and cocoa powder into the mixture and mix. Place the mixture in the baking tin and bake for 30 minutes (or until the mixture has settled - check with a knife, which should come out clean).

Allow the cake to cool while you prepare the icing;

Using any leftover chocolate in the bowl you used previously; beat the butter, cream and vanilla until soft. Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. This should turn out very soft and creamy.

Once the cake is cool, simply lay on the icing however you want. This recipe, if done right, produces an amazing cake. And it's so simple to change things to suit your taste. Lovely at this time of year.

is offline King of the Odd, Strange & Arcane
    I'll jump into the fray with one of my "signature" deserts, the Autumn Harvest Skillet Cake. As the name implies it is made in a cast-iron skillet, however, I have done this in 9" pie pans with great success, as well as 8, 9 and 10" round spring-forms.

Autumn Harvest Skillet Cake

Ingredients

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup all purpose flour
    teaspoon baking powder
    teaspoon baking soda
    teaspoon salt
    cup sugar
    1 large egg
    cup buttermilk
    1 cup Cranberry Raisin Mix (equal parts, dried cranberries, golden and & California raisins)
    2 apples, coarse diced

Topping:
    cup brown sugar
    teaspoon cinnamon
    3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 Tablespoons butter, softened

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 inch cast-iron skillet and dust it with about a tablespoon of flour, tapping out the excess flour. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

In the bowl of a mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Then add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, alternating between the two (a little flour, a little buttermilk, a little flour, a little buttermilk, etc.). Scrape the batter into the prepared skillet.

Distribute the cranberry raisin mix on top of the batter, then distribute apples as well. Don't worry about the pan looked super-crowded with the apples, they shrink during baking, so use more than you think you will need or you won't have enough.

In a small bowl, mash together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Distribute the topping over the cake.

Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    Sgt. Howie - "But they're NAKED!!!"

Lord Summerisle - "Of course...it's much to dangerous to jump through fire with your clothes on."

From the Wickerman

is offline King of the Odd, Strange & Arcane
    Here is the best chocolate cake recipe evar! I get asked all the time at work when I'm going to be bringing one of these in! (Compliments on this cake also come from 2 people who despise chocolate and will eat this like there's no tomorrow.)

The Bestest Chocolate Cake EVAR!

Ingredients
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup boiling water

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x18-inch sheet pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer (beater attachment), combine sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix on low until ingredients are well combined.

Mix in the eggs, oil and milk. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.

Reduce speed to low and blend in the water. The batter will be soupy.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes. 40 to 45 minutes for 9 x 9 pan. Cool completely.

Chocolate Ganache

Ingredients
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter.

Directions
    In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat, just until boiling. Pour cream over chocolate and butter, whisking gently until melted.

NOTE: I usually use a 9 x 9 x 4 pan for this.

Also: Recently, I acquired the petite pie pans from Le Creuset. I added roughly 3 tablespoons to the petite (6 oz) pie pan and the result is in the photo below. I'm pretty sure 1 more tablespoon would have put the cake up to the rim.

Seems MW doesn't want to upload the photo, will try again later.
    Last edited by TripsieD; December 21st, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Sgt. Howie - "But they're NAKED!!!"

Lord Summerisle - "Of course...it's much to dangerous to jump through fire with your clothes on."

From the Wickerman

ROFLMAO...I have to say I got all the way to the Cookbook thread before I realized there were more than one page to each thread and I was missing out on ALOT!!!

as my daughter would say... EPIC FAIL O.o he he

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsie View Post
    ROFLMAO...I have to say I got all the way to the Cookbook thread before I realized there were more than one page to each thread and I was missing out on ALOT!!!

as my daughter would say... EPIC FAIL O.o he he
    Well then you've got alot of catching up to do! Welcome, by the way.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I was going to make apple wontons last night but they were a disaster, so I made bread and butter pudding instead. Thought I'd share my recipe and get the Foodie Army marching again.

Apple Cinnamon Bread and Butter Pudding

Ingredients:
    2 apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (I used Honeycrisp, but really anything will do)
    6-8 slices of bread (depending on thickness of bread and size of baking dish)
    Butter (soft or room temperature)
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg
    2 eggs
    12 fl oz milk
    Brown sugar (optional)
    Ice cream (optional, but highly encouraged. Custard also ok)

1. Preheat over to 350F.
    2. Spray or butter inside of oval baking dish.
    3. Butter one side of a slice of bread and set at the end of the dish. Add a couple spoonfulls of apples on top, then a couple dashes of cinnamon.
    4. Butter another slice of bread and lay it on top of the first, overlapping. Add apples and cinnamon.
    5. Continue until you run out of bread or space. Adjust the bread so that it fills the pan evenly.
    6. Crack eggs into a bowl and add milk. Whisk or stir until conbined, then add cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining apple bits.
    7. Pour slowly over the bread, careful to wet everything evely, especially the crusts.
    8. Sprinkle brown sugar on top, if desired.
    9. Bake for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven. Insert a knife of toothpick in the centre to check for doneness. Pull the bread away from the side of the dish. It should be soft and moist and there should be no standing fluid.
    10. Remove from oven and let sut 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream, custard, or on its own.

This recipe can be modified infinitely. It is itself a modification from the traditional raisin recipe. I had a lot of apples to get rid of :-p Another of my favourite variations uses subdried tomato sourdough, crumbled breakfast sausage instead of apples, oregano, and cheese on top.

It's a pretty fool-proof recipe. Have fun with it and let me know how it goes!
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7