Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

Smile Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

So, how many of you consider yourselves to be "beginner cooks?" Can you follow a simple recipe (mac and cheese or brownies from a box) maybe? Or are you a disaster in the kitchen, like my hubby who *killed* stove top stuffing? I am still trying to figure that one out unless it was a ploy to make me banish him from the kitchen for evermore....

If this describes you, than this is the thread for you.

This is where you will find tips on basic cooking, links to beginner cooking website and easy recipes.

Anyone may post here, so all of you more experienced cooks, let us know what you have learned through trial and error in your own kitchens.

My biggest suggestion for Cooking 101 is to plan ahead!!
    Read over the recipe, get all of the ingredients, tools, pans etc. Read the recipe again. I cannot tell you how many times I have screwed up a recipe thinking it said one thing and it really meant another.So make sure that you understand the steps, the ingredients and the terminology.
    Just recently I botched up what should have been a really good Apple Crisp. Instead of using softened butter, I melted it, and the crisp ended up very "uncrisp."

Also check the timing. I have also skimmed through a recipe, thought I had enough time to cook it. I missed one part, threw the whole recipe off, and while the potatoes were done at 6pm, the meat wasn't done until 7.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! The Gods KNOW I need it LMAO

Yes, I am definitly a beginner. I dont really have my own kitchen... I am hoping to move to my own place in the Summer, so I am beginning to learn, observe and attempt at cooking and Kitchen Witchery so that I have some basics ready when I finally am at my own place with more Kitchen freedom!

foodnetwork.com has all the recipes from all the shows, rated by skill level and sorted by episode, classification and ingredient.

by classification i mean style, dietary standard and course.

recipe.com is pretty great too.

Meal Planning, Grocery List????

these items do help

Great Thread !!! :cheers:
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Don't Forget about Mccalls and Good Housekeeping!

they both have good cookbook sets...
    "Encyclopedias" you can find tons of recipies...

I have my grandmother's cookbooks....... there were alot of them...
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

umm lets see... what advice can i give.... don't let your hubby cook anything if he doesn't know how to put out a grease fire....

other than that... stick to basic foods to start and try spicing them up... my favorite is frozen boneless chicken breasts or any type of frozen boneless fish. then add anything that sounds good on top, you almost can never go wrong...
    for an extremly good fish place thawed fish in a pan and cover with raspberry vingerette bake for about 20 minutes and poof. put on a bed of rice and professional looking meals easy...
    it doesn't have to be hard to look or taste good

My advice to beginners is to not get too over eager on your first tries. Get your pantry stocked with condiments and sauces. Make use of alot of the richer flavors for basic foods. If you start with a base as CalisticSunrise stated, like chicken with vegetables, use high flavor additions to make them tasty as well as healthy. Get high flavor condiments like soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin sauce, pesto (they sell those in small jars that are ready to go), chili sauce, marinara in jars, and things of that sort. Have dried herbs on hand and always... always have fresh garlic on hand, but keep dried for emergencies. I can't list everything in my pantry but some of the staples are:

olive and canola oil
    red and white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar
    powdered garlic, onion, Creole seasoning, Old Bay Seasoning
    dried oregano, thyme, rosemary and sage and bay leaves
    marinara sauce in jars when I don't have time to make my own
    many, many bags/boxes of pasta
    Tabasco, chili pastes
    jarred roasted peppers
    capers and green olives
    soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil
    canned beans
    canned tomatoes, sauce and paste
    rice
    canned anchovies
    sundried tomatoes (I prefer dried in packages, not packed in oil)
    dried chile peppers
    dried bread crumbs

This is just a small list of what I've got - believe me, you can make loads of different meals with just these things. I'll add more as I think of them.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; November 14th, 2005 at 10:31 AM.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by CalisticSunrise
    umm lets see... what advice can i give.... don't let your hubby cook anything if he doesn't know how to put out a grease fire....

other than that... stick to basic foods to start and try spicing them up... my favorite is frozen boneless chicken breasts or any type of frozen boneless fish. then add anything that sounds good on top, you almost can never go wrong...
    for an extremly good fish place thawed fish in a pan and cover with raspberry vingerette bake for about 20 minutes and poof. put on a bed of rice and professional looking meals easy...
    it doesn't have to be hard to look or taste good
    I had a bf that made some great grease fires!!

You can cook the thawed fish and even boneless chicken in foil on a baking sheet - cut vegetables thinly, place on foil, top with fish or chicken, add lemon juice or any kind of seasonings you like, close up the foil like a pouch, by folding and roast; there's no loss of nutrients and you'll have plenty of juices to top off your rice or noodles.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Flaire-FireStar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Faery-Wings
    Just recently I botched up what should have been a really good Apple Crisp. Instead of using softened butter, I melted it, and the crisp ended up very "uncrisp."
    I didn't know that... I just melt it out of convenience when making whatever I'm making.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast