Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

NEVER let your roommate cook...i.e. don't put a metal can in the microwave!
    Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love

Quote Originally Posted by Nightlove View Post
    NEVER let your roommate cook...i.e. don't put a metal can in the microwave!
    “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

[SIGPIC]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/EmberNichole7/Banners/Book%20Club/bookclub4.png[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners!

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
    —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
    Start immediately.
    Do it flamboyantly.
    No exceptions.
    - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

I want to bring this back because I've read so much good information!

Something I've struggled with is cooking multiple involved dishes. I never can manage the timing right. (For example, this side is done before this, the main course is done second, and this is done five minutes after). I've gotten a lot better at it, but any tips? Especially for tiny kitchens. =)

When I make banana muffins, I substitute applesauce for the butter.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Sollie View Post

Something I've struggled with is cooking multiple involved dishes. I never can manage the timing right. (For example, this side is done before this, the main course is done second, and this is done five minutes after). I've gotten a lot better at it, but any tips? Especially for tiny kitchens. =)

I should show you my Thanksgiving spreadsheets :-p I always cook in tiny spaces too, no counter space, etc. The trick is staggering starting times and knowing how long everything takes. Also take prep time into consideration. Then after that, it's practice that helps the best.

And then sometimes it's just gonna be a jerk. Something could be hot on the stove and cold by the time it get5d to the table.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

smack dab in the middle of the bible buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sollie View Post

I'm the same about not being able to time things right, or working on one dish and letting another one burn. I've specialized in casseroles for many years.

So when my granddaughter was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it really threw me for a loop. My adult daughter who works has had to take on much more of the cooking. Even though she's like me and can't time several dishes to be ready at once. She's been amazing at researching lo-carb cooking and minimizing the amount of meds her daughter needed. We may even be able to eliminate all meds for diabetes at the next check up.
    Home is not a place, it's a feeling.

I usually do my prep the day before so that time is cleared up for being able to set what needs cooked first. And I'm not shy about re-heating the foods that can cope with it, which lets me cook a few things the day before.
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Some tips:

1.Read each recipe carefully so you can integrate what needs to be done when as a whole system.
    2. Be aware you can cheat a little-- things that are saucy can be shoved to the back of the stove covered and left for up to 10 minutes if something else has slowed you down, an oven set to 180 degrees can hold things as well-- and don't forget roasts need 10 minutes after they come out of the oven to 'set up" (perfect gravy making time slot)
    3. Cleanliness counts, and keeps you from getting slowed down on dumb stuff-- before you start cooking, put away all clutter in your kitchen and wash every dish in the kitchen that needs washing-- no running into things that could be away or looking for measuring cups in the dirty dishes--ick!
    4. Organize the easy stuff--- set the table/get condiments on, and if there are uncooked portions of the meal-- salads, breads, put them on the table....
    5. Act like a short order and prep cook-- get out your ingredients, line up your recipes against the back splash, chop all your chopables, and have them ready to go when you get cooking.
    6. Know your limits-- don't make 3 things you don't know at the same time-- usually if I'm in experimental mode I do 1 hard dish and two I know like the back of my hand.
    7. Have a glass of wine while you cook and share with whomever you are cooking for--- it will help you tune into the cooking flow-- and that way.. if it all goes to hell... no one will care too much (keep cheese, crackers and fruit in your fridge/pantry at all times... if it all does go to hell... throw them on the table in pretty bowls... no one will care if they are drinking wine, and eating brie.)
    Last edited by Tanya; November 18th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.
    Mitakuye Oyasin

I love that I can have everything done at the same time. timing is everything for me.
    Divine Sanctum : a place of acceptance and tolerance without judgement...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12