Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 118

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Penticton (next to Kelowna), BC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,987
    oo?? Never heard of it, maybe its a reference to flour or even semolina flour (legendary for roast potatoes).
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

    Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

    Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,571
    I think it may be Olive Oil.

    I'm guessing, but Rachel Ray has a cooking show on tv and she says EVOO all the time, meaning Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    ____________
    If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
    If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.




  3. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    I think it may be Olive Oil.

    I'm guessing, but Rachel Ray has a cooking show on tv and she says EVOO all the time, meaning Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    oh now you say it, that makes perfect sense!

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Penticton (next to Kelowna), BC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    I think it may be Olive Oil.

    I'm guessing, but Rachel Ray has a cooking show on tv and she says EVOO all the time, meaning Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    Aww we love you Lunacie but never darken this thread with Rachel Ray's name AGAIN.

    oo and evoo, making sense - would make the veg crispy in the oven too, makes sense again
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

    Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

    Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC ChefWitch & food psycho
    Age
    51
    Posts
    11,475
    OO means olive oil but blueangel is correct as well. OO is also a type of flour.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

    "That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

    "PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain


    R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC ChefWitch & food psycho
    Age
    51
    Posts
    11,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Against The Tide View Post
    ...but never darken this thread with Rachel Ray's name AGAIN.

    oo and evoo, making sense - would make the veg crispy in the oven too, makes sense again
    I love you....

    Rachael Ray has bastardized even extra virgin olive oil. Kitchen slang uses oo for olive oil and the correct term for extra virgin olive oil is XVO, not evoo. She did that herself and ask anyone in any working kitchen and they'll look at you like... well, like you're her.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

    "That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

    "PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain


    R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Age
    33
    Posts
    154
    Coming from a Spanish household where the choice of what olive oil to buy is one of the most important decisions you can make in any given month (and in which it is not unheard of to see people take shots of someone's choice in order to determine if the olive oil was worth it), I cannot tell you how much I would like to do unspeakably gruesome things to Rachel Ray for that "evoo" nonsense. Are the extra few syllables THAT hard to pronounce? Heck, is it even necessary to specify "extra virgin" for most of the uses she demonstrates? With very few exceptions, extra virgin should be the de facto choice as far as I'm concerned, those exceptions being pretty much limited to frying above medium heat in large quantities. This isn't so much because extra virgin olive oil is chemically necessary as it is because the olive oil we get here in the states tends to be pretty inferior stuff to begin with, so you might as well pay an extra dollar for something palatable.
    Last edited by Gwyddyon; April 15th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,571
    Just so I don't get smeared along with Rachel Ray - I had never heard of using the abbreviation ev/oo before I saw a magazine article about her. I don't watch cooking shows, and I don't watch her show. I just remembered reading that becausse I find words and slang interesting.
    ____________
    If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
    If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.




  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NYC ChefWitch & food psycho
    Age
    51
    Posts
    11,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyddyon View Post
    Coming from a Spanish household where the choice of what olive oil to buy is one of the most important decisions you can make in any given month (and in which it is not unheard of to see people take shots of someone's choice in order to determine if the olive oil was worth it), I cannot tell you how much I would like to do unspeakably gruesome things to Rachel Ray for that "evoo" nonsense. Are the extra few syllables THAT hard to pronounce? Heck, is it even necessary to specify "extra virgin" for most of the uses she demonstrates? With very few exceptions, extra virgin should be the de facto choice as far as I'm concerned, those exceptions being pretty much limited to frying above medium heat in large quantities. This isn't so much because extra virgin olive oil is chemically necessary as it is because the olive oil we get here in the states tends to be pretty inferior stuff to begin with, so you might as well pay an extra dollar for something palatable.

    You're right, the extra syllables are not that hard to pronounce, she's just a lazy ass. I can say however, that when working in a busy kitchen, XVO is what's labeled on bottles (no glass is allowed so we put everything in plastic squeeze bottles) or shouted out if you run out and need it ASAP. She comes from the school of throw everything in the pan with 2 cups of olive oil, a pound of bacon and cheese and call it delicious when all she's doing is contributing to the obesity that's running rampant in America - people are looking to her to learn how to cook quick meals and all she's teaching is the quickest route to heart disease and high cholesterol/blood pressure.

    Why'd you guys get me started on her again? You know I have no self control when it comes to my RayTurd aversion.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; April 16th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

    "That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

    "PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain


    R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sacrament, CA
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    You're right, the extra syllables are not that hard to pronounce, she's just a lazy ass. I can say however, that when working in a busy kitchen, XVO is what's labeled on bottles (no glass is allowed so we put everything in plastic squeeze bottles) or shouted out if you run out and need it ASAP. She comes from the school of throw everything in the pan with 2 cups of olive oil, a pound of bacon and cheese and call it delicious when all she's doing is contributing to the obesity that's running rampant in America - people are looking to her to learn how to cook quick meals and all she's teaching is the quickest route to heart disease and high cholesterol/blood pressure.

    Why'd you guys get me started on her again? You know I have no self control when it comes to my RayTurd aversion.
    So does that mean I'm a bad person? I like Rachel Ray; I only watch her show once in a while (only if the recipe interests me), but it's the only reason I ever even considered cooking. I was always too intimidated to even try before. That being said, I fully admit I find her incredibly annoying sometimes.
    Uhh...never mind. I forgot what I was gonna say.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •