Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

oo?? Never heard of it, maybe its a reference to flour or even semolina flour (legendary for roast potatoes).
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

I think it may be Olive Oil.

I'm guessing, but Rachel Ray has a cooking show on tv and she says EVOO all the time, meaning Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

I'm guessing, but Rachel Ray has a cooking show on tv and she says EVOO all the time, meaning Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    oh now you say it, that makes perfect sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

Aww we love you Lunacie but never darken this thread with Rachel Ray's name AGAIN.

oo and evoo, making sense - would make the veg crispy in the oven too, makes sense again
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

OO means olive oil but blueangel is correct as well. OO is also a type of flour.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by Against The Tide View Post
    ...but never darken this thread with Rachel Ray's name AGAIN.

oo and evoo, making sense - would make the veg crispy in the oven too, makes sense again
    I love you....

Rachael Ray has bastardized even extra virgin olive oil. Kitchen slang uses oo for olive oil and the correct term for extra virgin olive oil is XVO, not evoo. She did that herself and ask anyone in any working kitchen and they'll look at you like... well, like you're her.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Coming from a Spanish household where the choice of what olive oil to buy is one of the most important decisions you can make in any given month (and in which it is not unheard of to see people take shots of someone's choice in order to determine if the olive oil was worth it), I cannot tell you how much I would like to do unspeakably gruesome things to Rachel Ray for that "evoo" nonsense. Are the extra few syllables THAT hard to pronounce? Heck, is it even necessary to specify "extra virgin" for most of the uses she demonstrates? With very few exceptions, extra virgin should be the de facto choice as far as I'm concerned, those exceptions being pretty much limited to frying above medium heat in large quantities. This isn't so much because extra virgin olive oil is chemically necessary as it is because the olive oil we get here in the states tends to be pretty inferior stuff to begin with, so you might as well pay an extra dollar for something palatable.
    Last edited by Gwyddyon; April 15th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Just so I don't get smeared along with Rachel Ray - I had never heard of using the abbreviation ev/oo before I saw a magazine article about her. I don't watch cooking shows, and I don't watch her show. I just remembered reading that becausse I find words and slang interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyddyon View Post
    Coming from a Spanish household where the choice of what olive oil to buy is one of the most important decisions you can make in any given month (and in which it is not unheard of to see people take shots of someone's choice in order to determine if the olive oil was worth it), I cannot tell you how much I would like to do unspeakably gruesome things to Rachel Ray for that "evoo" nonsense. Are the extra few syllables THAT hard to pronounce? Heck, is it even necessary to specify "extra virgin" for most of the uses she demonstrates? With very few exceptions, extra virgin should be the de facto choice as far as I'm concerned, those exceptions being pretty much limited to frying above medium heat in large quantities. This isn't so much because extra virgin olive oil is chemically necessary as it is because the olive oil we get here in the states tends to be pretty inferior stuff to begin with, so you might as well pay an extra dollar for something palatable.

You're right, the extra syllables are not that hard to pronounce, she's just a lazy ass. I can say however, that when working in a busy kitchen, XVO is what's labeled on bottles (no glass is allowed so we put everything in plastic squeeze bottles) or shouted out if you run out and need it ASAP. She comes from the school of throw everything in the pan with 2 cups of olive oil, a pound of bacon and cheese and call it delicious when all she's doing is contributing to the obesity that's running rampant in America - people are looking to her to learn how to cook quick meals and all she's teaching is the quickest route to heart disease and high cholesterol/blood pressure.

Why'd you guys get me started on her again? You know I have no self control when it comes to my RayTurd aversion.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; April 16th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    You're right, the extra syllables are not that hard to pronounce, she's just a lazy ass. I can say however, that when working in a busy kitchen, XVO is what's labeled on bottles (no glass is allowed so we put everything in plastic squeeze bottles) or shouted out if you run out and need it ASAP. She comes from the school of throw everything in the pan with 2 cups of olive oil, a pound of bacon and cheese and call it delicious when all she's doing is contributing to the obesity that's running rampant in America - people are looking to her to learn how to cook quick meals and all she's teaching is the quickest route to heart disease and high cholesterol/blood pressure.

Why'd you guys get me started on her again? You know I have no self control when it comes to my RayTurd aversion.
    So does that mean I'm a bad person? I like Rachel Ray; I only watch her show once in a while (only if the recipe interests me), but it's the only reason I ever even considered cooking. I was always too intimidated to even try before. That being said, I fully admit I find her incredibly annoying sometimes.
    Uhh...never mind. I forgot what I was gonna say.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast