Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

Pasta doubles in size. One pound of pasta is technically 8- 1/2 cup servings. Depending on the sauce you are using or any other additions (like chicken, veggies, sausage etc) one pound of pasta shpuld feed 4 good size eaters as a main course.

Once the pasta boils after adding it to the water, lower it. It doesn't need to stay at a full boil. And if you leave it at a full boil, good chance it will boil over onto your stove.

To put out a grease fire *do not* throw water on it.
    Smother it with a pot lid or baking soda.

Here we go for further reading:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_114403_kitchen-fire.html

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67
    Meal Planning, Grocery List????

these items do help

Great Thread !!! :cheers:
    Definitely a grocery list. Go thru your recipe and make a detailed list; if I'm making a cheesecake and I need 3, 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese I put exactly that - it makes shopping so much easier. If you're very familiar with your market and know the order of the aisles, set it up according to aisle so you don't have to keep running back and forth (I almost always forget something in aisle 5 or something so I have to go back). Also take advantage of sales and coupons. If there's a special on pasta, buy it, it won't go to waste in your pantry and you can keep it stocked for that day when you just gotta have spaghetti and meatballs.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Just a few more tips:

1) When using canned tomatoes, taste them before you put them into the pot. If they taste acidic or 'tinny' you can put a bit of sugar into them while they are cooking or do like my dad does - put a whole carrot into the pot with the tomatoes and pull it out when the meal is finished. Carrots have a lot of sugar and it'll help tame the acidity of the tomatoes.

2) Always start with cold water when boiling potatoes, if you use hot water they may cook unevenly. Salt the water quite liberally, potatoes have virtually no flavor and can take alot of salt.

3) If you're cooking with a marinade for fish or chicken, things like lemon juice and wine are high acid, so don't leave it in the marinade too long (15 minutes for fish, half hour for chicken thereabouts), the acidity will change the structure of the fish/chicken and it could turn 'mushy' after it's cooked.

4) If you oversalt a pot of soup or stew, throw a whole, peeled potato into it and cook until the potato is tender, then remove it. Potatoes soak up salt and it'll help remove some of the saltiness (not all of it, but some). Also, salting your food closer to the end of cooking time prevents oversalting.

5) When baking, always have your eggs at room temperature, they'll blend in easier and more thoroughly. I will usually take my eggs out of the fridge about an hour before I'm ready to start and that's plenty of time.

I'll add more as I remember them.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; November 14th, 2005 at 11:19 AM.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Sorry guys, I have a feeling I've taken over this thread!!! I'm a plethora of food information and I love to share... I'm such a dork!

Now if I could find a job teaching about food I'd be set.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

You guys are great! Thanks!

*Copy & Paste & Print Print Print!* :D

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel
    Sorry guys, I have a feeling I've taken over this thread!!! I'm a plethora of food information and I love to share... I'm such a dork!

Now if I could find a job teaching about food I'd be set.
    *bows down* Please don't stop, oh great mistress of the kitchen!
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

Awww shucks...

Believe me, it's my pleasure, I could talk about food all the time.

Maybe if anyone has specific questions they can post them here and others can answer them??? There's plenty of food savvy folks here.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; November 14th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Ok, I'll start =)

What is the best way to learn to cook? Finding recipes and trying them? Experimenting? Starting with pre-packaged frozen entrees? lol

I am a total disaster in the kitchen. I have a beginner cook book that spells things out for you, but I miss little details like "how to steam vegetables" and cutting chicken breasts in half before breading and cooking them.

Basically, how can I start cooking and build some kitchen confidence at the same time?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast