Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel
    My best friend will zest all her lemons and oranges and freeze them in small airtight containers or baggies; they'll stay pretty fresh for a couple of months.
    That is an awesome tip.I can't tell how many times I either peel an orange for the kids and throw away the peel or need just the zest and throw away the fruit.
    Thanks!

What is she freezing?? The fruit, the zest, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteowl
    What is she freezing?? The fruit, the zest, or both?
    You can actually freeze both. Freeze the zest in airtight baggies or small plastic containers and you can freeze the juice by putting it in ice cube trays till frozen solid, then transferring them to baggies or containers. I usually measure the lemon juice with teaspoons or tablespoons into the ice trays so they're consistently measured, then transfer and label so you remember how much each cube is.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Ground beef on sale in family size packages is a staple at our house. I divide it into 3/4 or 1 pound servings, put each into a freezer bag and seal it, then press it as flat as I can before freezing. It thaws out in less than 30 minutes in a sink of warm water when it's a thinner package.

When I'm browning ground beef to make a dish, I use a turkey baster to siphon off the grease instead of trying to tip a hot skillet over a sink or a pan and having the little bits of browned beef fall all over.

Okay! I gotta question! How can you tell when pumpkin pie is done? The directions on the recipe say cook until the edges puff out and the middle sets, but I dunno what a setting middle looks like and the edges puff out pretty soon in the cooking.
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

A good resource for freezing foods:
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3065.htm

kendrah, I wish I knew what to tell you... I just kinda know from seeing it. If you insert a knife tip it shouldn't coem out covered with liquidy filling, there might be some "crumbles" of filling however.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrah
    Okay! I gotta question! How can you tell when pumpkin pie is done? The directions on the recipe say cook until the edges puff out and the middle sets, but I dunno what a setting middle looks like and the edges puff out pretty soon in the cooking.
    When you open the oven to check, give the pie a little jiggle while it's on the oven rack, watch the center and if it jiggles too much, it's underdone, it should only slighly move; it will continue to set as it cools. After a couple of pies, you'll be able to tell by eye like Faery-Wings said.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie
    Ground beef on sale in family size packages is a staple at our house. I divide it into 3/4 or 1 pound servings, put each into a freezer bag and seal it, then press it as flat as I can before freezing. It thaws out in less than 30 minutes in a sink of warm water when it's a thinner package.

When I'm browning ground beef to make a dish, I use a turkey baster to siphon off the grease instead of trying to tip a hot skillet over a sink or a pan and having the little bits of browned beef fall all over.

*nods* Those three pound packs go a long way in my house as well. I like the turkey baster tip, I usually just tilt the pan and soak up the excess grease with paper towels, but I usually wind up spilling some or burning myself. Guess I better buy a baster and the dollar store for just that purpose. Thanks!

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by Faery-Wings
    A good resource for freezing foods:
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3065.htm
    That's a great site with lots of useful info... thanx!

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

If I'm planning on baking 2 pies at once, how much long should I cook them for?
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast