Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie
    You can cook the beans without pre-softening them, but they should be cooked without anything else added to the pot - for about an hour or until tender.
    basically soaking them using water and heat.
    Ziana

Quote Originally Posted by Ziana
    basically soaking them using water and heat.
    Yeah. And I meant to say I'm happy that your crock-pot beans turned out good and tasty.

You know I love my slow cooker, but I've never made beans in it, my mother always made them on the stove (I guess Puerto Ricans didn't use crockpots back then, we didn't have one! ). You guys have got me thinking about some beans in the slow cooker this weekend.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; January 17th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

it's me again. Pot roast. Apparently it's a Yankee thing to only cook a pot roast for a couple hours, to where it's basically medium rare. The correct (read southern) way to do it is to cook it on low heat for like a day. Kinda like a turkey or something. Any other southerns (or northerners for that matter!) have any specific ways they cook pot roast?

Just for background as to why there has to be a difference, I made a pot roast as described first above. This is the way I have always made them, because it was the way my mother made them and I only learned to cook by watching her, not by actually being 'taught'. Now I was born and basically raised in Texas, which means I am not a Yankee. It's not my fault my mother moved me to the frigid north to be near her family for 7 years when I was a small child. (moved when I was about 1, and came back just before I turned . My father is the one who taught her to cook, and his family came from Illinois, whereas with the exception of her mother and brother, her family is mostly in Louisiana. So apparently the reason I am a complete ninny in the kitchen is because I cook like a Yank, and his family cooks like Southern country folk. Go figure. Which is why we got into another fight over my cooking and I renamed the meal from 'pot roast' to 'Yankee pot roast'. (Which as usual was actually very good, even if I did cook it 'wrong')
    Ziana

Some people always want things cooked "the way Mom did." Not me. I never liked my mother's meatloaf or her goulash. Now they are two of my favorites because I fix them "my way".

The term "Yankee Pot Roast" is actually cooked the way you did, put all your veggies and meat in one pot or crock pot and cook until the veggies are done. Pot Roast is the beef cooked until done and then adding the veggies and cook more until they're done. Personally I prefer it the yankee way too. Cook for you and yours not for anyone else. (Yes I am a chef).
    DanuMoonrunner

I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the place in you of love, of light, of truth, of peace. I honor the place in you where if you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us.

Queen of tormenting Hawk Shadowsoul

Me, I always have just put the roast in the pot, cover it with broth, and toss some scrubbed potatoes in. The 7yo gets her dad to help her dump in some baby carrots when she gets home from school, and when I get home from work, it's a meal. I stopped trying to make gravy from the juice 'cause I never get it right, and I'm the only one who wants it - Doc & the 7yo will snarf up all the beef as is! lol

I'm coming into this late (as usual!) but has anybody tried chicken in the crockpot? I've found that unless you prop it up on something, it cooks in its own juices and falls apart. The suggestion I found was to put it up on balls of aluminum foil, but my crock isn't tall enough for that. So when I make honey chicken, I put the taters in first, then the chicken sits on top of them - that way we still have drumsticks, not just meat & bones. mmmmmm.... honey chicken... :drool: gonna have to make that this weekend... lol
    Meet my daughter, Mog. This is her listening to heavy metal with me in the car. No, really... seven years old and she loves AC/DC...

"Some of you may die, but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make." -- Lord Farquaad, Shrek II

"Hey - wasn't it around here that the Donner party got snowbound?" -- Wendy Torrance, The Shining

Hate only hurts the hater. Stop the madness or I'll put y'all in permanent time-out.

I found a recipe for a whole chicken inthe crock pot and man it comes out delish!
    It calls for a 3 lb whole fryer but I have used a roaster (7.5 lbs) twice. I just made sure I added some extra time and checked it with the meat thermometer.

Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Put it in CP. Mix fresh ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, green onions (cut in half) and I think some water. Pour over chicken, cook on high 3-4 hours (I did mine 4-5)
    To take it out of the CP I use a long spatula that I insert intot eh cavity and a fork on the other side and lift it out. The wings fall off but everything else stays together.

For sauce in CP- remove green onions.
    Mix a bit of cornstarch into cold water, stir into CP and cook on high 15 min or until thickened.
    Toast sesame seeds and toss over sliced chicken.

This comes out super moist and flavorful. I like the leftovers on toasted wheat bread with sesame mayo (light mayo, tiny bit of seame oil and non fat yogurt)

Quote Originally Posted by Faery-Wings
    So, how many of you consider yourselves to be "beginner cooks?" Can you follow a simple recipe (mac and cheese or brownies from a box) maybe? Or are you a disaster in the kitchen, like my hubby who *killed* stove top stuffing? I am still trying to figure that one out unless it was a ploy to make me banish him from the kitchen for evermore....

If this describes you, than this is the thread for you.

This is where you will find tips on basic cooking, links to beginner cooking website and easy recipes.

Anyone may post here, so all of you more experienced cooks, let us know what you have learned through trial and error in your own kitchens.
    i killed stove top stuffing once. it was because i figured i was *waaay* smarter than stove top stuffing could possibly be, and didn't fully read the directions. oops.

nowadays i am at "can follow simple recipe" level. i so can't wait til i have access to a kitchen again!
    “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

[SIGPIC]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/EmberNichole7/Banners/Book%20Club/bookclub4.png[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners!

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
    —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
    Start immediately.
    Do it flamboyantly.
    No exceptions.
    - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

I come from a long line of women who can bake, but can't really cook. If my family could survive on baked goods alone, we'd be all set.
    The bread trick works for hard cookies, too. Meaning if your homemade cookies get hard, putting a slice of fresh bread in with them will soften them up again.
    And I found out by accident that if you leave choc. chip cookies sitting in the sun for a couple hours, they're just like fresh-baked again.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast