Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking 101 (aka Cooking for Dummies)

Wish me luck, ya'll's. I'm going to make a pot roast in my crock pot following this recipe tomorrow morning. Let's hope it turns out alright.
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

Good for you! I took a peek at the recipe- You can also add some carrots onthe bottom of the crock. And I would also put some sliced onions on top of the meat and probably use fresh garlic if you have it.

Let us know how it comes out!

Good luck with the pot roast!!

It turned out pretty okay. I didn't put the morton seasoning blend on it but it still tasted pretty well.
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

I am the queen of substitutes. I usually start cooking something and then read in the recipe it calls for something I don't have and also this helps a bit when trying to keep the fat content down.

For example, I use sour cream in cream sauces instead of cream. I don't have to use as much and I can mix it with my low fat milk and it STILL tastes very creamy.

No buttermilk for the biscuits. Add a tsp of vinegar to your milk and let it sit a few minutes before adding.

There are few things I keep in the cupboard for subs. I like to keep some dried egg whites around in case I run out of eggs. Add some water and you got eggs. They are a tad expensive but you keep them for a very long time.

If you don't have corn starch to thicken up a sauce or a dish, use some cold water and some flour - whisk out the lumps or strain them - the flour will have the same affect.

Dry milk - can be used and it's got NO FAT.

Want to cut down on fat in a cake? Use applesauce instead of that 1/4 cup of oil.

Cream cheese will help make creamy pasta sauces just cut it into cubes with some milk, add a dallop of sour cream - salt and pepper to taste and a bit of parsley - add pasta. Quick an easy alfredo type of dish!

What can you do with tomatoes that are kind of going bad? Cook them! Add garlic and onion some mushrooms -- add V8 or tomator juice or some chicken broth --- you got a pasta sauce.

Steam veggies in the microwave? Asparagus is easy. Make sure the break the yucky ends of the asparagus - place them onto a plate. (I usually put the entire bunch on the plate) Add 1/8 cup of water in the bottom-- add some fresh lemon if you want, place saran wrap over the plate TIGHT, microwave for about 8 minutes. Be very careful when taking off the saran wrap because the steam is hot! Serve with a bit of butter, salt for flavor - easy veggie dish for din din.

Broccoli, want it to be cheesy without the hassle of making a sauce? After you prepare it add a slice or two of American cheese and stir. The juice from the broccoli, steam and heat from cooking mixes with the cheese it melts and makes this sauce. Easy peasy!

I have tons of these.
    Eowyn - "The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain."

Didn't see this posted and thought someone would find it helpful.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...ow_to_Cook.htm

I consider myself a beginner too but a very good one, to be honest. :D

Now that I live on my own with my boyfriend and his landlord in England, I basically have to cook mostly my own food.. but of course, I'm really generous so usually the landlord eats some of what I make, too. And the same with my boyfriend. He teasingly calls me a "good wifey" whenever I cook, lol, it cracks me up cuz it's so cute!<3

Back in Estonia I used to cook as well but not as much as I do it now. I really enjoy this, really really do. I LOVE cooking, it's my passion. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a baker/cook cuz I suffer from gluttony and I'm in love with food! Which is VERY ironic because I'm skinny... and it's not because I don't eat (trust me, I eat ALOT) but it's because of my family genes. But oh well, at least women in my family tree don't get fat like at the age of 30 and look all old and ugly, haha. It's just that back in the Soviet times people didn't have the food they needed, especially for the babies so a lot of Estonian girls my age are quite slim but that doesn't mean they're pretty.. Estonian girls are considered the prettiest European girls cuz we are kinda vain.. hey, we just like taking care of our looks, lol.
    Anyways.. that was random, lol!

So yeah.. back to the cooking. Um, so basically, yeah, I'm a beginner I suppose. A few days ago I made spaghetti bolognese the way my mum always used to make, and I love it!<3
    Then I made Estonian casserole which turned out really good too! Except it was perhaps a bit too oily for my own good... but certainly good for my "hubby" and landlord, lol! Those fat bastards, haha. :D

Hmm.. what else? Well, I'd make so much more but the kitchen in this house isn't exactly the most excellent and comfortable one. Also, I got no money at the moment so I can't exactly make all my dream recipes come alive and tasty. I need to wait until I start working and get paid. My bf buys food too but not enough to please me.. lol.
    Last edited by WarriorZhanna; April 14th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrigidMoon View Post
    For example, I use sour cream in cream sauces instead of cream. I don't have to use as much and I can mix it with my low fat milk and it STILL tastes very creamy.
    OMG! Soured cream. I love it!<3 Estonians use it ALOT. Actually, not just us but also most East Europeans are very famous for their great dairy products like sour cream and other products we make that you cannot find in the Western part of Europe.
    Me and my boyfriend live in England now and we went to TESCO's a few days ago and searched for sour cream for like a half an hour! We just couldn't find it! I was starting to get really desperate, lol. Because I need sour cream in salads and casserole. Eventually, I found it but it still doesn't taste as good as the Estonian one.

I wasn't sure whether I should post a topic or just write it here but my landlord made this really tasty food yesterday that I very much enjoyed eating. So yeah, thought I'd share it with everyone since it's a really simple recipe (copying off from his personal cookbook):

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

12 shallots unpeeled
    8 garlic cloves unpeeled
    1 kg (orange-coloured) sweet potatoe (cut into even chunks)
    1 tsp corriander seeds crushed
    2 red chillis
    6 tbs oo - not sure what that means..
    sea salt
    black pepper

Cover shallots + garlic with boiling water. Soak 30 mins. Drain and peek.
    Put in roasting tin with sweet pots corriander and chilli. Add oo, salt + pepper toss well to coat.
    Roast 200 (Celsius) degrees 30 mins until golden and tender.

Is oo a type of flour? I thought it was the kind that is used to make pasta??

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast