Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread: Appetizers and Dips

is offline Imagine a world without disclaimers.
    Salsa is a dip!

Green Salsa

1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
    1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded to taste
    1 roasted poblano or hatch, skinned
    1/2 roasted green bell pepper, skinned
    1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp kosher salt
    1 tsp toasted cumin seed
    1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    extra-virgin olive oil

1) Char roasted peppers. - peel bell pepper, keep poblano char if you like that sort of thing
    2) Toast cumin seed for 30 seconds in medium heat olive oil - add onion and sautee until soft.
    3) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add whole washed and stemmed tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic, and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not but have not burst.
    4) Add cooked and charred vegetables to a blender with the cumin, onion, and lime juice. Add reserved cooking liquid (appr 1/4 cup) and blend. Add fresh cilantro and blend to desired coarseness.
    5) Salt to taste.

Baked Brie
    wrap a wheel of Brie cheese in puff pastry.
    bakeit in a preheated oven at 325 until puff pastry is browned
    pull it out, break open pastry to nice melted chees and have with veggies, apple slices, crackers, etc.

For a quick "don't have any puff pastry" moment.......wrap Brie in aluminum foil. Bake til melted and enjoy(about 20 minuted).

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnWitchie
    Baked Brie
    wrap a wheel of Brie cheese in puff pastry.
    bakeit in a preheated oven at 325 until puff pastry is browned
    pull it out, break open pastry to nice melted chees and have with veggies, apple slices, crackers, etc.

For a quick "don't have any puff pastry" moment.......wrap Brie in aluminum foil. Bake til melted and enjoy(about 20 minuted).
    or a really easy substiture for puff pastry is Pillsbury cresecnt rolls. Unroll the dough, press lightly at the seams, wrap brie. Brush with egg wash if desired. Bake and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie
    There are no Shop Rites in Kansas.
    Bummer, they have great sales.

If you can't find tahini anywhere in stores or online, let me know, maybe I can ship you some.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Baked Shrimp Toasts

(Makes 32 hors d'oeuvres)

4 tsp minced garlic
    1 Tbl minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 Tbl vegetable oil
    1 Tbl mirin
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 lb medium shrimp in shell (31 - 35 per lb), peeled, deveined, and cut into
    1/2 inch pieces
    3 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
    1 (9 by 4 inch) white Pullman loaf, unsliced

Cook garlic and ginger in oil in an 8 - 9 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mirin, soy sauce, and salt and simmer, stirring, 15 seconds. Transfer marinade to bowl and cool to room temp.

Add shrimp and cilantro, tossing to coat well, and marinate covered and chilled, 1 hour.

Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350 deg.

Turn bread loaf on its side and evenly cut crust from bottom of loaf using a long serrated knife, discarding crust, then cut a 3/8 inch thick slice from botton amd trim crust from sides of slice. Put slice on a baking sheet (reserve rest of loaf for another use) and bake, turning over once, until dry by not colored, 8 minutes total. Immediately increase oven temp to 475 deg.

Spread top of hot toast with all the shrimp mixture, packing to down to thick even layer and covering surface entirely. Make sure oven temp has hit 475, then bake shrimp toast until topping is cooked through, 12 - 15 minutes. Transfer with a large flat spatula to a rack to cool 5 minutes, then transfer to cutting board.

Halve shrimp toast crosswise with a very sharp knife, then cut each half lengthwise into fourths, making 8 strips total. Cut each strip into 4 pieces. Serve toasts warm or at room temperature (they're better hot).

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Clam Dip

8 oz cream cheese, softened
    2 - 6 1/2 oz cans chopped clams, drained, reserve 2 Tbl juice
    1/2 C fine chopped tomato
    3 scallions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely minced
    1/2 tsp Tabasco
    1 tsp Worcestire sauce
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper

Stir together all ingredients, including reserved clam juice.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Avocado, Cucumber and Red Pepper Salsa

1/2 C diced & seeded cucumber
    1 small red pepper diced (about 1 C total)
    3 scallions, finely chipped
    1 small jalapeno - minced (seeded if you want less heat)
    2 tsp chopped cilantro
    1 Tbl lime juice
    1 Tbl unseasoned rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt or to taste
    1 medium avocado, diced (about 1 C)

Toss all except avocado until well mixed. Gently toss in avocado so not to smash it too much. Let stand about 20 minutes at room temperature for flavors to meld.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by Faery-Wings
    or a really easy substiture for puff pastry is Pillsbury cresecnt rolls. Unroll the dough, press lightly at the seams, wrap brie. Brush with egg wash if desired. Bake and enjoy!
    Definitely, I'll use the crescent rolls occasionally, altho puff pastry is pretty widely available nowadays. Pepperidge Farms has a good one and it's in the freezer section of the supermarket.

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Spicy Sausage Pizza Dip

1 pound bulk italian sausage
    1 small onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 7 1/2 ounce can tomatoes cut up
    1/2 of a 6 ounce can tomato paste (1/3 cup)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 cup chopped black olives
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    DIPPERS: breadsticks, breaded mozzarella cheese sticks, and green sweet pepper strips
    1) In a large skillet cook Italiann sausage, onion and garlic till meat is brown and onion is tender, drain well
    2) In Crockery cooker, combine sausage mixture, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sugar and red pepper. Stir all ingredients together. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. (or on low heating for 6 to
    3) Stir in olives. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Serve with desired dippers. Makes 3 1/2 cups dip.

KM - I'm bringing that pizza dip to my next party, sounds delish. Thanx!

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast