Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Originally posted by Demeter

Umm, actually the Silmarillion is the mythology of several millennia before the action of the LOTR, and it may not help much in understanding "Fellowship." But it's well worth reading on its own account. What's the name of the program, pray tell?

Saw the movie on Christmas Day, will see it again tomorrow. Will have to look for the three trolls!

My favorite line: Boromir's "They've got a cave troll" rendered with just the right touch of casual disgust. Second favorite is the hobbit discussion of meals. "What about second breakfast? I don't think he knows about second breakfast."
    Hee hee yes... my sister and I met for "Elevensies" when we went skiing last week... and Luncheon, Afternoon Tea.. all 6 meals

The Silmarillion is very different from LOTR. For one thing, in the First Age of middle earth the geography gets changed like 18 times by Valar going to war, and once more in the second age when the Numenorians get swept into the sea and Valinor is hidden.

However, a lot of the characters in the LOTR (Cirdan, Galadriel, Elrond, Cereborn... are in the stories. You also learn that 3 of the characters in LOTR are actually demigods.. I'll let you guess which ones. Also it reveals which 3 characters wore rings of power throughought the entire trilogy. And all the backstory about the Dragons, Balrogs, Silmarils, Rings of power, the nations of Elves.. well that's just gravy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cast out of Olympus by the Site Gods
    Email: illuminatus005@yahoo.com
    AIM: MayKen007
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No community rules for you!

LOTRs is the most incredible movie.

Worst film you ever saw? Well, my next one will be better.
    Heh, all this speak about "THAT'S IT?!" reminds me of how many people walk out of the theater going "what a crappy ending!"

When my brother went to see it, after it was over, he walked out and there were all these people moaning about the ending (as you've probably heard if you went to see it). Particularly there was one woman behind him who was going on and on about it. "What a terrible place to end a movie," said she. "I was really impressed until then. That's just awful. It was a great movie but had a horrible ending." and so forth. So my brother turns around and goes "You do know it's a series, right?" He said her face was very comical.

Needless to say, this woman had never read the books, obviously.

You know, I didn't get that at all. I would have turned around and said the same thing. I have a problem with everyone knowing this movie as "Lord of The Ring" too. Shouldn't they know it's "Fellowship of the Ring"!
    When the "Two Towers" comes out next year, you know people are just gonna call it "Lord of the Ring Part 2".
    There gonna think it's another Rocky movie when the third part comes out. Why did they promote it as "Lord of the Rings"? I can hear Tolkien rolling around in his grave right now.
    Um, ok that went a little bit far.... but you get what I am saying.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5