Thread: Could someone please tell me raspberry leaf tea

Could someone please tell me raspberry leaf tea

Hi my wife is 37 weeks pregnant and has been gaven Respberry Leaf Tea which is said to aid Birth. but we are unsure to how many she should take at any one time the bootle just says up to 3 or 6 tabs a day they are 400 mg

Can any one give us a little advice how best to use them.

Thanks
    Peace and friendship
    Richard Hnery

It's a Boy!!!!!!!!!!

is offline Fellow member abuser and respect rule violator
    Hi, I am an herbalist and naturopath and all information given is just that, information and education. I am not a medical doctor, I don't play one on TV and in no way, shape or form am I diagnosing, prescribing, consulting, recommending any type of treatment for your wife's condition. All information shared should be viewed as educational in nature, and you/family take full responsiblity for the use, or misuse of presented information. Please consult with the licensed, bonded, insured HMO/PPO approved medical health practioner of your choice before embarking on any educational information shared here. (there, that should keep the boys at the AMA/FDA/District Attoney's office happy)

Okay on to Red Raspberry Leaf tea. First off I am unclear on if your wife was given capulses as opposed to loose leaf herb or tea bags. First I will discuss Red Raspberry Leaf as it applies to pregnancy, labor and delivery, and then I will discuss the dubious merits of capsules in general(yes, I am biased, to some it up Peter Griffin style-Boo capsules, YAY- fresh, dried, and tinctured plant materials!) and infusion. Lastly I will give you some standard dosages and a few personal experiences I had as a midwife/doula with Red Raspberry Leaf Infusions.

Red Raspbery Leaf Tea-or (Rubus Striguosus) common name Wild Red Raspberry/Wild Raspberry is an Antiemetic, Astringint, Laxtive and a fragrine. The last part is what you are after in the latter half of a pregnancy. A fragrine is an alkaloid that tones and nourishes the uterine muscles. It is not considered to be a herb that starts contractions, nor will it speed labor up per se. What it will do will tone and Help strengthen the uterus so that it will be able to "Let go" of the baby so to speak. Red Raspberry also has high concentrations of vitamin C, as well as easily absorbed iron and calicum. There are trace minerals, among them, phosphorus and potassium and vitamin E and vitamin A. All really good things to have when pregnant!

Benefits:

1. prevents miscarriage-see safety concerns
    2. ease labor pains-but does not ease pain of pelvic dilation!
    3. Increase the production of Breast Milk in most women-HOWEVER due to the astringency of the herb, it may not do this in ALL women.
    4. It may encourage the uterus to work more effectively. It won't speed labor up or strengthen conctrations, but due to the tonifying nature of red raspberry-it will help the uterus work more effectively during labor.

Safety-
    Red Raspberry Leaf is considered a really safe herb for pregnancy. There have been experiences of midwives that red raspberry leaf has caused miscarriages when ingested in the first trimester of the pregnancy, and therefore a lot of herbalists and midwives recommend that the infusion or tea be consumed only during the latter half of the pregnancy. (last trimester) I found no contraindications for Red Raspberry Leaf, however, that does NOT mean they aren't out THERE. Be aware that Kitty Camion in Holistic Woman's Herbal feels that Red Raspberry only works well in women who have an "average" uterus and is pretty much useless in women who have very weak or damaged uteruses. Also be aware that Red Raspberry leaf tea can be used a as laxative so yo umay want to keep that in mind.

Standard dosage-According to Lust- 1 oz of dried leaf steeped in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes drinking 2 cups per day.
    Personally, if it were me, I would consider doing an infusion, the standard infusion instructions are as follows-1 oz of dried herb by weight, or 1 cup by volume, covered by 1 quart of boiling water, capped and let to steep at least four hours or overnight-strained and then for this one-again if it were me-2 cups per day until labor.

Capsules. Ah, yes. I am not a big fan of herbal capsules. One, herbs are not allopathic medicine, and were not designed to have its main ingredient distilled out and then powdered and shoved down our throats. Herbs don't work that way, and I run as far away as i can from capulses. That and a whole host of other reasons on why whole plant materials should be used whenever possible. I know plenty of herbalists who disagree, but hey that is what makes us herbalists so freaking exciting to be around!

Now, for my stories involving Red Leaf Raspberry Infusion/Tea. I had four clients who were the "whole grains and nuts" variety of natural childbirth! (and as a whole grains and nuts, heavy on the nuts part myself, we got along just fablously!) In any case, each of these women did the research with my help and decided that they were going to start drinking two cups of red raspberry tea-infusion a day starting the last trimester, and they were going to have a gallon of the tea/infusion brewed in the fridge for when they started labor. (once again, as a doula, I helped them find the information, but I didn't prescribe this for them!) The daily brew they brewed well daily, the gallon one they brewed every few days until labor started. Yes, herbal teas/infusions go bad after two days or so. Once Labor started, each woman chugged, I am not kidding like a quart of the Red Raspberry Infusion then they packed up the rest to take to the hospital.(the homebirth two just kind of kept alternating water sips and tea sips, the hospital births had to "smuggle" it in-in dark colored water bottles which they "covertly" had to drink from while the nurses were out). In each case, the labor went smoothly easily and almost! effortlessly. One first time mom-only labored for 3 hours before giving birth, and the two multigravidas went about four hours before giving birth. Was it the red raspberry leaf tea? I don't know, these women like I said where the whole grains and nuts kind of people who did yoga, birthing from within childbirth classes, meditations and exercises and had a real healthy attitude about birth and the proper role of pain versus suffering, so since I am a wholistic person I like to think that Red Raspberry tea along with all the other fablous things these women did-great nutrition via the Brewerr's diet, healthy attitudes, great psychological work through birth art and classes, prenatal yoga and exercise-one was belly dancer and she danced her baby out at home, a great support network of nurse-midwives, supportive doctor, doulas and friends who loved these women-in any case, I think it was whole mind body, spirit approach that Red Raspberry Leaf tea was an important part of.

good luck let us know what happens!

Robin
    www.womanrisingholstic.com-wellness/life coaching for women
    www.onegrp.com/?womanrising-Missence SkinCare-the world's first Natural and Certified Organic Skincare line

Thank you I will take on what you say about useing the tea Howvere vanessa gets very sick when taking tea form so this is way she is using the tab form
    Again thank you very much oh what would you reccommed for backs and knecks this is me. For some time now I have had pain in my back and kneck also I ahve been to the Doctors and he was unable to do anything. Or unwelling to do anythkng

Again thank you
    Richard Hnery

It's a Boy!!!!!!!!!!

is offline Fellow member abuser and respect rule violator
    Rich:

I am sorry about your back pain!

Okay, so healing back pain is a multi-discplinary approach, like all healing as opposed to curing. Most people when I start going down my litany of healing say-"can't you just give me an oinment/herb/cure?" They are looking for the magic bullet or the red pill or blue pill, and they never get "better" or "healed" they may get short-term cures, temporary relief, but they certainly don't HEAL! So, keep that in mind. I am not being harsh, although I find the written word I can be harsh, not intended. My voice in my head is one of gentleness, great compassion tempered with my wry or dry sense of humor. There is no judgment on what I say, and to be honest I am just the conduit for the education, what you do or don't do with it is, as it always has been up to you. And, you are free to disagree with me, because HEY, this is a message board and the most important thing of all-I DON'T LIVE in your world or body.

So, let's begin, we will start with the easist-and I say that with a wry smile on my face, maybe the more appropriate word is simple,-simple isn't easy necessarily!-changes you can make and then if you would like I can come back and dive into some spiritual/emotional causes of back pain.(cause that fits my worldview of all disease starts in the psyche, spirit, soul, emotional body, whatever spiritual practice fits your view there)

Okay, number one, you have gone to the doctor that is great, because we can't do anything from our place of not knowing. One thing, and don't get freaked out by this, have you had yourself for urinary tract/kidney issues? A lot of times, people are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for kidney/Urinary Tract issues. Asympotamtic kidney disease is not uncommon, a lodged stone can cause dull achyness...and just this week I had what was called a "borderline UT infection" I was right on the edge of having one-and the presenting factor was my little nagging backache. So, insist upon being tested for UT infection and an ultrasound for kidneys because at least as I say to my clients all the time-modern medicine is great at telling us what you don't have-and that knowledge can be just as important as figuring out what you do have.

Okay next, let's say it is just muscle aches, and I am going to assume until I hear otherwise that it isn't a kidney stone or urinary tract issue, I am going to educate you on how to treat backaches. Please consult with your health care provider, and I am not prescribing, telling, diagnosing, or doing anything of that nature. You take responsiblity for any actions or inactions that you may or may not do from the information presented. Like I said, gotta keep the boys at the FDA local DA's office happy.

now, backaches.

1. First off, let's talk about food. I like to see people eat 6-10 fruits and veggies a day, limit the meat to condiment style-and a bunch of whole grains and nuts. Well, not a bunch of nuts, but a handful or two wouldn't hurt-walnuts, almonds,pistachos, and not nuts but seeds-Pepitas are good.
    The reason being is when we are feeding our bodies well, and nutritious food that nourishes we are amazed at how well we feel, and yes this could be part of the issue. I like to only consume organic dairy products too..and don't gasp-of the whole milk variety. If raw milk wasn't so damn hard to comeby-Pasteur was wrong, wrong I tell you!-I would drink that instead. So if it were me, I would consider my eating habits and work really diligently at eating as healthy as I can-

Along with food goes weight. Oh yes, here we are. I personally think after reading governmental studies and a bunch of literature that we have an "obesity myth" in this country based on Madison Avenue guys having the hots for 12 year old bodies . Fortuantely I have the data to back my first assertation through the CDC and other studies as well as anthropological history. Here's a hint the havard delveloped Body Mass Index is inaccurate and wrong-but unufourntately I am in the minority of this opinion because we are such a visual society brainwashed by TV. Okay, okay, rant over-LOL! I say all that because an extra 10-15 pounds doesn't bug me at all with my clients. In fact since I work with powerful women during their midlife birth of themselves, I KNOW an extra 10-15 pounds is one of the best things they can do. AND, let me state that being overweight can cause backaches. The stomach pulls everything forward from the back-I am not kidding here, I actually had three orthepedic doctors confirm this. So, if I were in constant backache mode due to musclar issues, I would defintely consider dropping 10-20 lbs off my frame depending on my health etc.

Ah, now we come to it. What is probably going to make the biggest difference in your life is...here you go..EXERCISE! Yeppers! I said it the dreaded "E" word! First off, the worst thing you can do for a back ache of the generic muscluar kind is sit still, lay down or stay in bed. Do you know that one study done in the late 90s showed that people who went about their normal routine and/or added exercise cured their backache slightly quicker and/or experienced a cure than those who took pills and stayed in bed? Hmm...interesting. So, at the bare minium I would consider if it were me-doing the following-
    gentle yoga-Rodney Yee's back care video is great-20 minutes a day 4-5 times a week
    situps-both upper and lower type-this is to strengthen those stomach muscles a strong stomach helps stablize the core of the body all around. I use a gymnastik ball-what are they calling them these days-an exercise ball which you can buy at target for like 15 bucks
    walking-30 minutes a day bare min. if I wanted to lose weight vigorous walking 45-60 minutes 5 times a week.
    Pilates is effective at strengthening and stretching the core muscles of both the front and back. HOWEVER it is a very intense workout, men are turned off by it being "womanly"-I guess walking into leotarded room full of women talking about Hormone replacement therapy and if the Stayfree maxis are better than the Kotex can be intimiating for a man. However, the founder/inventor of Pilates was a guy, and it does tend to kick guys' butts in when they first do it. Videos will help
    If you dont' like yoga or pilates, I would consider doing a Qui gong or Tai Chi program either with a teacher or with the Giam series. I like Giaiam tapes the best.

Now, we come to the part where you thought I was going to start with-didn't you-what herbs can you take? Personally, I would go with Susun Weed's herbs of nettles and comfrey LEAF-not the root, the LEAF. doing infusions. Oatstraw would also be a good nerve soother/tonifer. For the actual aches I am a BIG fan of St. John's Wort Oil and Castor Oil Packs. Also, I have had great sucess with Arnica Gel. Castor Oil Packs you will have to pull up the instructions for on the web. Its basically a cotton wool flannel soaked in castor oil applied to with a heating pad over it. Like I said google the instructions for more clear uses. The St. John's Wort Oil I would use oh, maybe two three times a day-rubbed in. (which, regular massages are a big thing with me, def. consider that, and YES you NEED it) Arnica gel, if I wasn't choosing St. John's Wort Oil, I would do the same-2-4 times a day rubbed in the achey part of my back.

And then, we haven't even touched on the spiritual side!

So, there you have it. If were me, its a lot to digest, so I would start here, and see what happens.

Good luck!

Robin

Hi Robin
    Thank you for your replaY Ho so where do I start? Ok kidney/Urinary Tract issues. Asympotamtic kidney diseaseI had a lot of Kidney problems has a child and this as left me with a problem of me leaning over. and not satnding as I should, I know this is part of the problem. I do also however do have IBS I don't know much about this as it has onl;y started a few years ago and I am still learning a lot.

. Food. I I o eat around 6-10 fruits and veggies a day, and since the IBM started I have cut down on the meat.
    and I can see your point about The reason being is when we are feeding our bodies well, and nutritious food that nourishes we are amazed at how well we feel, and yes I am sure this is part of the problem, but organic dairy products cost a lot fof money hear in England, I have consider my eating habits and work really diligently at eating as healthy as I can I have been on a diet for just around 8 mouths and I ahve lost about 2 stone so far OI am now 16.5 and wish to loose around a other 1 half to get down to around 15 half And yes the English are just as bad as the USA in wright loss but I am a big man and I feel if I lost any more I would look ill.

EXERCISE! Yes I do walk a lot I live in a small village where there is little or no public transport So I offtern find myshelf walking to get to the shops, I also live in the Englaish Yorkshire Moors so I do a lot of walking around there However it winter hear and it can get very dangerous at this time of year.

I ahve hard of many of the hreabs and I will try
    herbs of nettles and comfrey LEAF-not the root, the LEAF. doing infusions. But could you tell me what Oatstraw and Susun Weed's is.? Also I not sure if we can get St John Oil over hear I will try though.

Again thank you for your help so far oh love the wry or dry sense of humor
    I look forward to eharing from you soon. You can send a pms if you so wish
    Thanks again
    In peace and friendship
    Rich

Ps as you can see the baby is coming any time now so if I am off line for a littel time is is way I will be coming back

It's a Boy!!!!!!!!!!