Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Thread: Are there Prophets of God among us today?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias
    I agree, Ptah.

I have been very quiet about what I do for many years. Why do you feel it's wrong to talk about it?

Talking has opened the doors for me to accept other people's wisdom that otherwise would probably never had anything to say to me. If we all went home and practiced our spirituality in the closet, what would that benefit anyone?

There are advantages to coming out of the closet with your spirituality, even if the people you tell can't comprehend it. When you tell your relatives you're a pagan, they do quit expecting you to go to church and act like a Christian. They also get really curious about paganism, which opens up many opportunities for you to explain what you believe, and how that's helped you.

It doesn't necessarily have to be pride that leads you to come out. It could be simple frustration with being misunderstood! Unfortunately, misunderstandings usually multiply at that point. Similar to some of what's transpired in this thread.

Perhaps I have displayed some lack of control over my ego along the way. But that is because I don't see ego as a bad thing. It can get in the way if we let it, so it has to be controlled. But eliminating the ego completely is not a goal of my path. Just like some people believe that sexual expression of any sort cannot coincide with spirituality, so people are mistaken when they expect anyone "holy enough to be a Prophet" to be completely devoid of ego (and every other vice for that matter.)

Personally I believe in giving credit where credit is due. If God actually did something, then he deserves the credit for it. If he didn't do it, don't try to suck up by telling him you believe he did. If an angel delivers a message to you, wouldn't it be proper to thank him/her? But don't pretend to think the message originated with the messenger.

In the same way Prophets are not automatic machines like tape recorders. It takes work to prepare yourself, and skill to deliver message right. They are far from being God incarnate (so don't worship them as such); but a little bit of acknowledgment for what they have to endure isn't misplaced.

The same applies to anyone who labors in any spiritual capacity.

tobias,

you do have a valid point about giving crdit where it is due. i admit i probably put more into your writing than what was really there. im not saying i believe you are a prophet, but i do understand what you have been trying to portray.

your example about me coming out as a pagan really hit home for me. so i can see your point of view easier.

Ma'at's_Feather

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah
    How about this abbreviated list of biblical generational curses that could already be on your family and mine?

What?? No curses mentioned about those who follow the false gods of Egypt??

Either you believe this is an accurate depiction of who God is or you don't. I don't.

The reality of God is somewhat different than what Bible-believing Christians think about Him. Yet on some levels they do have it right. Sometimes they have to ignore parts of the Bible, and go by personal experience.

I've considered leaving Christianity as a religion, and just saying that I follow some other god. It would make it easier sometimes, because I could then describe him as I know him. Yet I can't deny that many other Christians besides myself have also stumbled into the same god that I have.

Over the years I have developed extreme amounts of resistance against Christians quoting scripture to me to prove what they believe is the nature of God. If they can't back it up with personal experience, then I don't really care how they interpret scripture; or what they believe. Even then, experience can be very subjective. But at least it's a starting point.

Ptah, do you feel you have personal experience with encountering God's wrath? With him cursing you? I feel so much of the time that I misunderstand where you're coming from. What is your point in posting a bunch of scripture references on a forum where nobody believes the Bible anyway?
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'at's_Feather

your example about me coming out as a pagan really hit home for me. so i can see your point of view easier.

Well, I wasn't talking about you specifically. I don't really know firsthand how hard that is on any of you. But I'm glad you got my point.

And, I have my own reservations myself about whether I'm a prophet or not. At this point I'm not looking for any followers.
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Ptah, do you feel you have personal experience with encountering God's wrath? With him cursing you? I feel so much of the time that I misunderstand where you're coming from. What is your point in posting a bunch of scripture references on a forum where nobody believes the Bible anyway?
    Well, I've had Sekhmet slap me around a bit.

Actually, I don't believe the curses god supposedly visited on man or the prophesies in the bible are anything more than hindsight. For the most part the authors of the bible place the blame on God/Demons or Satan, after the fact. The failed political leadership, who also controlled or were controlled by the religious order of the Hebrews, could never seem to place the blame for their severe lack of leadership on their own shoulders. Most of the curses I listed, were curses the religious leadership were placing on their own following, in an attempt to keep them in line. So no I don't believe God is cursing me but it seems a few bible quoting Christians are and if you read the entire list you'll find you have probably been cursed also.

I thought this was a theological discussion. Tell me again how we can discuss your religion without discussing the foundation book of your faith. You couldn't do it, you quoted the bible. If we were discussing the Egyptian belief, I hold, I would be quoting the PertEmHru, the Precepts of KiGemini or PtahHotep and speaking of heiroglyphs. Anyway, you shouldn't get defensive if someone posts something out of your Holy Bible, in a discussion based solely on biblical principle.

But mainly you shouldn't say things like biblical curses are actually blessings. How many of the curses, that I listed, are blessings? Who was blessed by the census curse? It certainly wasn't the 70,000 people who died, it wasn't Israel, it wasn't David... where is the blessing?
    Last edited by Ptah; March 14th, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
    Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui...
    Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit!

Well, ok Ptah. Like I said, I can easily misunderstand you. "Curses" posted as warnings by ecclesiastical writers thousands of years ago to keep their people in line seems like quite a jump from the reality of one person being able to proclaim a curse on another today. But I did mention God cursing people too, didn't I? I'm slow sometimes, but I'm catching up.

I do sense that my God opposes people at times. Especially those who he has called into service but resist him. At least, that's the most sense I can make out of it. Maybe because these people are called, they are given certain gifts or insight into the workings of God's kingdom. By resisting their calling they are actually opposing God on certain levels due to the special knowledge they are privy to. This causes God to respond in a war-like manner. He does defend His interests.

It could all be psychological too. A person who knows they are resisting God's call, may sub-consciously feel they are in sin, and respond by making poor decisions in their lives. They know they are not submitting to what God wants them to do, so they instinctively oppose wisdom as well. Many of us can feel the flow of the Universe around us, and can line ourselves up with the currents that are most advantageous to us. A person who resists God may also find themself sensing the currents in the spiritual but misinterpreting the information and always fighting against it.

Maybe they resist the call because they fear what God may ask them to do. Or maybe His only calling is for us to come and learn at His feet, but the Christian religion causes us to expect something else.
    Tobias

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Well, ok Ptah. Like I said, I can easily misunderstand you. "Curses" posted as warnings by ecclesiastical writers thousands of years ago to keep their people in line seems like quite a jump from the reality of one person being able to proclaim a curse on another today. But I did mention God cursing people too, didn't I?
    These curses like prophesies seem to me to be man's inventions. I can't see a divine purpose for punishing the innocent but there would be reasons for one person to curse another. Placing a curse in the name and authority of diety, is no different than Voodoo. The concept of God being vendictive enough to punish your innocent offspring because of something you have done is strictly a monotheistic mindset.
    Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui...
    Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30