Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Therapeutic Herbal Tea Recipes

Therapeutic Herbal Tea Recipes

I thought I would start a thread specifically for Theraputic Herbal Teas. If anyone has a special blend that they like and you would like to share it with others, I guess this would be a great thread to post it in. Some of these I have tried, some of them I have not.

Herbal Teas for Asthma/Bronchitis

Mullein and Anise Blend

1 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon dried aniseed
    1 teaspoon dried mullein leaves

Bring water to a boil in a glass or stainless steel pan. Add the aniseed, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer, uncovered 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the mullein in a teapot. Without straining, pour the anise decoction over the mullein leaves, cover, and steep 10 minutes. Strain, sweeten with honey, and sip slowly while warm.

Thyme, Cayenne and Peppermint

1 tablespoon dried peppermint
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 cups water, barely boiled

Place the herbs in a teapot. Pour the boiling water over them, cover and steep 5 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey. Sip slowly while still warm.

This is good for times when you want relief from bronchial symptoms but cannot stay home and rest. Carry the warm tea in a thermos and sip in 1/2-cup doses a few times throughout the day.

Herbal Teas for Colds and Flu

Hot Ginger Lemonade

1 1/2 cups water
    3 (1/4-inch) slices fresh ginger root, bruised
    1/2 of a fresh lemon
    1 teaspoon honey
    1/4 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper

Bring water to a boil in a glass or stainless steel pan. Meanwhile, hit each ginger root slice gently with the broad side of a knife to break up the pulp a bit. Put the ginger in the boiling water and simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Meanwhile, Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a cup. Add the honey and cayenne. Strain the ginger tea in to the cup, stir and sip slowly while hot.NOTE: You may add an ounce of brandy to your bedtime dose to help ease you into sleep.

Cooling Blend (For Feverish Colds)

1 teaspoon crushed dried rose hips
    1 teaspoon dried peppermint leaves
    1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
    1 cup water, barely boiled

Place the herbs in a teapot. Pour the boiling water over the herbs, cover and steep 10 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey to taste. Sip slowly while warm.The rose hips deliver a large dose of vitamin C, while peppermint and sage have a cooling effect on the system. This tea is particularly helpful with feverish colds. And it tastes good!

Stuffy Nose or Tight Chest Reliever

1 handful eucalyptus and bay leaves
    1 pot boiling water

Remove the pot from the stove. With a towel, make a tent that covers your head and the pot. Breathe in the soothing vapors, taking care not to burn yourself.

Herbal Teas for Coughs

Thyme, Hyssop and Sage

1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried hyssop
    1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
    Place the herbs in a teapot. Pour the boiling water over them, cover and steep 10 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey. Cool a bit and sip slowly in 1-ounce doses as needed (up to 2 cups a day for no more than a few successive days). Do not use excessively. The tea can be gargled an ounce at a time for topical relief of a scratchy throat. For sipping, combine with plenty of honey for its throat-coating action.

Linden and Licorice

1 1/2 cups water
    1/4 teaspoon chopped dried licorice root
    2 teaspoons dried linden flowers
    Bring water to a boil in a glass or stainless steel pan. Add licorice root, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place the linden flowers in a teapot. Pour the unstrained licorice decoction over the linden, cover and steep 10 minutes. Sweeten with honey, if desired. Take in 1/2 cup doses, as needed. This tea is also good lung medicine. It can be drunk as often as desired during the course of a respiratory illness. NOTE: Licorice tea is not recommended for people prone to high blood pressure, pregnant women, or women with fibroids.

Herbal Teas for Fatigue

Fennel and Rosemary

1 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves

Bring water to a boil. Add the fennel seed, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes. Pour the hot fennel water over the rosemary leaves, cover, and steep 5 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey, if desired. Allow to cool a bit and sip slowly while warm. This is a mildly stimulating tea, useful in increasing mental alertness. If you have fresh rosemary, you may substitute 1 tablespoon of bruised, fresh rosemary leaves for the dried amount shown.

Herbal Teas For Boosting Immunity

Garlic Cocktail

1 large clove garlic
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon honey
    Pinch of cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a cup and pour boiling water over the mixture. Stir to dissolve the honey and allow to steep 5 minutes. Do not strain. Sip while warm. This is a wonderful all-purpose tonic, good for boosting immune function as well as energy level.

Catnip Tea

Best known for its appeal to felines, catnip, or Nepta cataria, is a member of the mint family. Catnip which releases a soothing aroma, has been medicinally used by humans for thousands of years. Its heart shaped leaves and lavender or white flowers have properties that can help relieve or prevent muscle spasms, increase perspiration and relieve flatulence. The herb also eases menstrual and indigestion related cramps. Because catnip tea has been known to stimulate menstrual flow it should not be used by pregnant women. For headache or to lower a fever, a tea made with the herb is beneficial. In addition, the tea's sedative effect may treat insomnia. The herb's gentle action also makes it good for children with colds, infections or flu, but always consult your pediatrition first.

To make the tea, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried, chopped catnip leaves. Steep the tea for 5-10 minutes covering the cup so that the volatile oil doesn't evaporate, the strain. You may want to sweeten the tea with a touch of honey. Of course, when using the tea to make a compress or a soothing herbal bath, no sweetener is needed.

When giving the tea to children modify the strength of the tea depending on the child's age. For children less than 1 year old, use 5 percent of an adult dose; Children 1-3 years old use 10 percent; and children 4-6 years old use 20 percent. To ease indigestion and colic make the tea and offer 5 teaspoons on a spoon for adults, or the same amount in a bottle for colicky babies. This dosage is safe for infants. To relieve stomach cramping apply a compress of catnip tea to the abdomen to reduce tension and bloating and to ease the painful spasms caused by gas. This remedy also works well for children. To soothe an upset baby make a tea using 1 teaspoon each of catnip and hops to cup of boiling water and strain. Add this tea to the baby's warm bathwater. As you bathe the child, stir the water to release the vapors. This will help relax the nervous stystem and promote a calm and restful sleep. To relieve cold or flu symptoms, promote healing and induce sleep, make catnip tea and drink. Of course modify the recipe so that it's appropriate for a child.

More Healing Tea Mixtures

To Reduce Fever

2 teaspoons dried catnip
    1 teaspoon dried vervain
    Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the herbs and allow them to steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain the mixture and to promote sweating, sip it often or until your fever breaks.

For Colds and Flu

1 teaspoon catnip
    1/2 teaspoon yarrow
    1/2 teaspoon angelica
    Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the herbs and allow them to steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain the mixture. Sweeten this tea with honey and lemon, if desired. Drink a cup every few hours to help alleviate your cold and flu symptoms.

For Indigestion

1 teaspoon catnip
    1/2 teaspoon fennel
    1/2 teaspoon lemon balm
    Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the herbs and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Strain the mixture. Sweeten lightly with honey, if desired. Sip the tea slowly to reduce stomach pain from indigestion, bloating and feelings of fullness.

Catnip may be purchased or grown in a garden, but growing it can be a challenge if you have cats. The plant's scent causes feline brain chemistry changes, so many cats love rolling in it. For all of catnip's benefits, however, it's worth the effort.

Pine Needle Tea

White pine trees, Pinus strobus, are considered by some admirers to be one of the most magnificent of forest trees. The rapid growing pine, one of Americ's most valued timbered trees, is also grown as a shade or ornamental tree. Native Americans used white pine needles medicinally as a remedy for many illnesses; a tea made from needles was found particularly useful. Today, we know pine needle tea is especially beneficial for such respiratory problems as colds and congestion. Pine needle tea is an excellent remedy for acute bronchitis, especially when it is accompanied by stubborn and thick mucus production and expectoration. The components in pine have wound healing, decongestive and disinfectant effects and disinfectant effects on the respiratory passages. Painful throat irratation is reduced and inflamed bronchi are soothed. Even inhaling the vapors of this tea can bring relief. Drink 3 cups daily with a little honey, if desired.

When it's it's used in a bath, the tea is considered quite effective in treating chronic gout pain, nerve pain and arthritis, as well as sprains and muscle strains. To prepare a bath, place a large hanful offresh needles in a muslin bag and bring it to a boil and simer for 30 minutes. For best effect, add both the liquid and the bag of needles to the bath.

Pine needle tea has a mildly diuretic effect and will help remove small deposits that often accumulate in the kidneys and the bladder. This "gravel" may lead to painful kidney stones. The germicidal effect in the pine's essential oil alleviates inflammations associated with the urinary tract.

To Flush Urinary Tract

1 ounce white pine needles
    3/4 ounce dandelion leaves
    3/4 oince goldenrod herb
    Prepare this medicinal tea in 1 quart of water and boil for about 2 minutes. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. This tea is to stimulate urination and to flush crystalline deposits from the body, preventing a build up that can lead to kidney gravel and stones.

The needles from the white pine tree are used more commonly as a remedy than the familar Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris, which has similar components and is used as an ornament or christmas tree. While pine needles aren't available commercially, they may be gathered in the wild. The White Pine tree is distinguishable by its flexible, blue-gree needles, arranged in bundles of five. Caution: People may experience contact dermatitus from the resinous sap of the tree.

A tea made with white pine needles is most effective when using the young needles. Boil 3 Tablesthingys of fresh or dried pine needles in 1 quart of water for about 2 minutes. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Drink 3-4 large cups of tea, sweetened with honey to taste, between meals.

For circulation

1 ounce White pine needles
    3/4 ounce Hawthorn Blossoms
    1/2 ounce Peppermint leaves
    1/2 ounce Rosemary leaves
    Prepare this blend for an invigorating tea in 1 quart of water and boil for about 2 minutes. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Because it is a mild stimulant, anyone with highblood pressure should only drink small amounts of the tea.

For Neuralgic Pain

1 ounce Pine needles
    1 ounce Calendula Flowers
    1 ounce St. John's Wort
    Prepare this tea in 1 quart of water and boil for about 2 minutes. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. With this medicinal plant mixture to help calm nerves and to alleviate headache from neuralgic pain. Drink as a tea or use it in a compress to relieve headache pain.

Great recipes, here a variant I use for Bronchitis and chest colds helps tremendously

Mullein, Lavendar and Coltsfoot Blend

1 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon dried Coltsfoot
    1 teaspoon dried mullein leaves
    1 teaspoon Lavendar leaves

Bring water to a boil in a glass or stainless steel pan.
    Meanwhile, place the mullein and Coltsfoot and lavendar in a teapot. Pour hot water over and steep for ten minutes. strain and sweeten with with your choice of sweetners, raw sugar or honey are my favorites.. It helps with chest colds and Pnuemonia as a great expectorant to get the gunk out. The Honey does help soothe the sore throat as well.
    "I am but a grain of sand. Washed up on the shore...beaten & weary from the waves of life;
    I take shelter among the stones and hide my self upon the beach, among the masses.
    "

Special Thanks for rotating banner to SkySilver..

Thanks to my son for the Runes banner

Damiana
    1 tbs chamomile
    1 tbs damiana leaves
    1 tbs lemongrass
    1 tbs spearmint leaves
    1/4 tbs jasmine flowers
    1/4 tbs orange peel, grated
    Combine herbs in two cups of water, and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain out herbs and serve hot.

Lavender Verbena
    1 cup lemon verbena leaves
    3 tbs lavender flowerMix the herbs thoroughly, and store in an air tight container. For a cup of tea, use 1 tsp in a cup of boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes and strain out the leaves. Enjoy with a bit of honey.

Peppermint
    8 oz peppermint leaves
    8 oz lemon balm leaves
    8 oz fennel seeds
    Mix the herbs thoroughly, and store in an air tight container. For a cup of tea, use 1 tsp in a cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and strain out the herbs.

Sage
    1/2 oz fresh sage leaves
    1 oz fine sugar
    1/4 oz grated lemon rind
    Juice from one lemon
    1 quart water, boiling
    Keep water at a simmer, and add the rest of the ingredients. Steep for 30 minutes. Strain out the herbs and serve hot or iced.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?
    For sore throat and sinus infections;

Sage
    Thyme
    Lavender
    Lemon juice
    Pure Honey

Put all 3 into a tea ball and place in coffee mug full of hot water. Then add some juice of a lemon and some honey.

Sorry,I hardly ever measure anything when making remedies so just use your own judgement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Fog Lifter

Rosemary for remembrance; ginkgo biloba to prevent memory lose, gotu kola balances the right and left sides of the brain, Stevia Herb to make the medicine go down.

1 tea. dried ginkgo biloba leaves
    1 tea. dried gotu kola leaves
    1 tea. dried rosemary leaves or 1 1/2 tea. fresh
    Stevia to taste.

Pour hot water over the herbs and let steep 10 minutes or more. Serve with lemon and sweetner if necessary.

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
    I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
    democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Quote Originally Posted by Meadhbh View Post
    Damiana
    1 tbs chamomile
    1 tbs damiana leaves
    1 tbs lemongrass
    1 tbs spearmint leaves
    1/4 tbs jasmine flowers
    1/4 tbs orange peel, grated
    Combine herbs in two cups of water, and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain out herbs and serve hot.

Lavender Verbena
    1 cup lemon verbena leaves
    3 tbs lavender flowerMix the herbs thoroughly, and store in an air tight container. For a cup of tea, use 1 tsp in a cup of boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes and strain out the leaves. Enjoy with a bit of honey.

Peppermint
    8 oz peppermint leaves
    8 oz lemon balm leaves
    8 oz fennel seeds
    Mix the herbs thoroughly, and store in an air tight container. For a cup of tea, use 1 tsp in a cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and strain out the herbs.

Sage
    1/2 oz fresh sage leaves
    1 oz fine sugar
    1/4 oz grated lemon rind
    Juice from one lemon
    1 quart water, boiling
    Keep water at a simmer, and add the rest of the ingredients. Steep for 30 minutes. Strain out the herbs and serve hot or iced.
    those look good. what are they supposed to do?
    “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

[SIGPIC]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/EmberNichole7/Banners/Book%20Club/bookclub4.png[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners!

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
    —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
    Start immediately.
    Do it flamboyantly.
    No exceptions.
    - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

Less tolerant of the government and its hired guns
    Thank you all for the wonderful recipes. I will put them in my healer book AND on my shopping list.!

This is a blend I made for indegestion. I find it helps relieve the feeling of fullness, being bloated, etc after a meal.

1 part Coriander
    1 part Aniseeed
    1 part Fennel

Brew for 10 -15 minutes covered. I normally brew this in a teaball, making one cup. You can also add peppermint, which also helps ease stomach problems. Drink after a meal.
    Last edited by Lunar Raven; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

The sun is far away... It goes in circles.
    Someone dies.. Someone lives. In pain.
    It is burning, into the thin air;
    Of the nature, of a culture..
    On the dark side..
    Under the moon..
    the wolves gather..

Wow, Thank you for all of these, everyone!!

I'll have to dig out some old recipes I have and come back to contribute something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"All phenomena of which we are aware occurs in the mind, therefore the only thing we have to look at is the mind" -Aliester Crowley, on Yoga

"The mark of a moderate woman is freedom from her own ideas" -Lao Tzu

"I shall question him and examine him and test him" -Socrates

"You may win or lose, but to be yourself is all that you can do." -Chris Cornell

"Don't you f**king judge me" -Slipknot

"The fool who is conscious of his folly is thereby wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the one to be called a fool." -Lao Tzu

Sleep Support

For having a bit of time with winding down and going to sleep:

Chamomile
    Cloves
    Almond Extract / Almond Oil

You can use pure Chamomile and or Chamomile tea bags- Real Cloves and or the kind of cloves you would find in the spice aisles at your local grocery store and also Almond Oil or Almond Extract.

For stove top:

Boil water to full boil. Add your contents to a coffee cup or what ever cup you like to use for teas and other things strain or pull tea ball. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes or to the strength of your choice.

For microwavables: Put water in your coffee cup or cup of choice- microwave on power level high for 1 full minute. Add you contents- let sit for 5 to 7 minutes or to the strength of your choice- strain or pull tea ball.

You can always add a couple of teaspsoons of sugar for sweetness. With in 30 to 45 minutes of consumption you should feel a little more relaxed.
    "Our greatest conqeusts in life are those of waking from sleep every morning- living through out the day and doing both every day through out every season and year that come along as well as slowly pass with every hour."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast