Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rant - High School Signing Day

Rant - High School Signing Day

What a crock! I am once again hit with the shallowness of our system. The one that makes such a huge deal out of where Mr. High School Letterman in football is going for college. Who cares?

Because some kid is able to hang onto a ball, and has beefed himself up to gargantuan proportions physically, why do they get free rides to college? It's such a big deal, oh which one of the many schools vying for me will get me? I can run and hold a ball at the same time - ug wump.

What about the kids who are merit scholars in math? Or the kid who is an English wiz, and can write a poem to make your heart ache? And the kid who is able to play the trumpet and can make history come alive? Or the one who loves chemistry and can synthsize proteins to beat the band? That one might find the cure for cancer, who knows.... These kids are just as deserving of the hoopla that surrounds the jock who can run and throw. But it seems that the media and our culture only reward the football hero. We never hear about any of the others.

And how about that kid, who doesn't do any of these things that well, but stays in school, gets decent grades, doesn't cause trouble, and is average normal, good kid. Where are the signing parties for them?

Every year it's the same, the football heros making their big decisions, being shown on signing day with their folks and the college's representative - signing a contract to play a game, a GAME for God's sake, being treated like they are royalty, and getting their education paid for, to boot. Makes me sick.

Answering the Mother Ship's call
    Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover - we're on our way to financial freedom!

I don't know, a few of my friend got received full-ride scholarships for being smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhkharu Asgard
    I don't know, a few of my friend got received full-ride scholarships for being smart.
    Good! But did they get the media coverage, the "signing day" crap? I'm as ticked off about that as I am anything.

No one probably knew they got full ride scholarships, because our society doesn't fawn over smart kids, unless they can carry a football too.
    Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover - we're on our way to financial freedom!

i agree that we may not have some priorities straight, but at least kids are going to college
    Last edited by phoenixblayze; February 3rd, 2006 at 06:29 PM.
    my mood today is
    come to the dark side, we have cookies
    Jesus saves.....the rest take full damage
    ~*~*~*~*

At the end of the world
    Or the last thing I see
    You are
    Never coming home
    Never coming home

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChest
    Good! But did they get the media coverage, the "signing day" crap? I'm as ticked off about that as I am anything.

No one probably knew they got full ride scholarships, because our society doesn't fawn over smart kids, unless they can carry a football too.
    I think they actually had some sort of ceremony/dinner for the students and parents of those that received the scholarships. But I understand wholy what you are saying. The reason is probably because entertainment is apparently the most important thing in the lives of humans. And people find football entertaining. Just look at how people obsess over their teams, the super bowl, fantasy football, etc...

I don't mean to take this personally, or get defensive about it...because I know you, DC and I know that you aren't trying to be rude about it.

Having said that, I think you are a little out of line. Granted, there are MANY students who get by on thier athleticism alone, but your example just sticks in my craw like absolutely no other. Why? Because you described how other people perceive my brother.

Imagine this: 6'6" 250 lbs all-star football player, picked as valley and division best for both offensive and defensive line, two years running. Guess what? He was scouted by many colleges, some Division A to come play for him. Our little town made a big showing of his "signing day" and damn-near threw him a ticker-tape parade. *sigh*

So...who thought to look at his GPA? 3.9 in case you were wondering. Honor Society 3 years, all AP (and 27 college credits before he graduated HS). And "beefed himself up to gargantuan proportions physically"...I don't think so. This boy actually kept himself on a diet to stay that small. He's physically just huge and it caused a great deal of emotional distress in HS where he stood out like a sore thumb for being bigger than everyone else, and to top it off, the school didn't have uniforms to fit him, making him stick out even worse....it wasn't his choice, it was genetics.

Here's another thing. My parents can't afford to send him to school. But his grades alone were not enough for a "full ride" to a 4 year university. If it wasn't for his athletic ability, he'd be pushing a broom around some warehouse right now instead of getting a college education. Sometimes the ONLY way to give a kid a chance is based on his ability to "run and hold a ball at the same time".

As a matter of fact, when interview for the paper, my brother's response to what college he would choose was "I just want to get a good education, if I can play football at the same time, that's just a bonus." But do you think they printed that remark? Did you ever look beyond the media's flare for dramatics?

Crap. I've been stepping in it all over the place today. I'm sorry. Maybe I should just step away from the forum til tomorrow. I apologize!!

You are right - there are kids out there who do deserve the accolades. I hope he got into a great college - did he?

*sigh* It must be me - Everything I say has come out wrong today.

Still friends?

is offline Breathe deep, seek peace.
    That's pretty much why I have never cared for sports.

I'm going to have to agree with Tzhebee on this one. I want to share with you a personal experience of mine when I played high school football, Dragonchest. I don't really like showing that side of me in public so expect a PM... I guess I'm not as brave as Tzhebee.

Don't worry, I won't flame you or try to disrespect you, I just want you to hear the story.

Brightest Blessings,
    -Fire's Shadow
    Formerly known as Fire Sage

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
    -- Voltaire

Why should gays be afforded the rights of marriage? Click here for reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Sage
    I'm going to have to agree with Tzhebee on this one. I want to share with you a personal experience of mine when I played high school football, Dragonchest. I don't really like showing that side of me in public so expect a PM... I guess I'm not as brave as Tzhebee.

Don't worry, I won't flame you or try to disrespect you, I just want you to hear the story.

Brightest Blessings,
    Looking forward to the PM. And I'm not worried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast