Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So-called bad herbs

So-called bad herbs

So Im making a list of herbs that can have an adverse effect.

Generally on perscribed medicines, but also wanting any so called side effects, or herbs that dont mix together.

So far I have -

St Johns Wort
    Enchicea
    Milk Thisle
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

:idea:
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

well you did ask a difficult question .....as the answer even with St John's Wort isn't straight forward

It depends on the type of medicine you are taking, quantity taken other medical history etc

It depends how indepth you want to get

Yeah I suppose it was.

Oh well I just want general could have this efffect.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Hops should never be taken by anyone on antidepressants. (It's in a lot of sleep blends.)

Pennyroyal, false unicorn root, black cohosh, blue cohosh, and even catnip should never be taken by a pregnant woman, as they can cause miscarriages.

Isil Darkmoon : Site Administrator With Lovecraftian Cat
    AIM: wuukiee81
    | MW FAQ
    | MW Rules | Copyright | About MW |

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
    "It can't rain all the time" - The Crow

foxglove and valerian... not good for thoese with heart problesm.. also there's a large list to be avoided by the pregnant. Black cotosh comes to mind... its stimulates contractions.

St John's renders oral birth control useless I believe. It also inhibits clotting so if you are looking towards surgery, stop use at least a week before. (That comes from a local herbalist so don't quote me before doing a bit of research into that)

Raspberry leaf is good overall but don't drink the stuff daily if you're pregnant until you're in your late third trimester. It strengthens uterine muscles but it also can induce contractions.

ANY mint (including pennyroyal) will cause contractions but I checked with my OB on this one and Peppermint is ok in tea or flavorings but do stay away from the essential oils. We don't get that much from general peppermint flavorings but the EOs regularly used could be quite different.

An important factor in determining unsafe herbs is that it varies from individual to individual. Sorrel is a a common winter herb for soups and such. And it has definite advantages but it can also be deadly for the right or wrong person. http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent for example gives a healthy understanding in the knowledge that any herb can go either way.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent
    As noted here, Chamomile can cause upset stomachs if taken excessively. And that's one of the safest things out there.

I've asked two gynecologists during all three of my pregnancies about herbs that should be avoided. They understood I was talking about very basic very safe common herbs, chamomile, peppermint, rose leaves, hibiscus.... standard herbal tea 101 stuff. You'll find that on literally any herb will have a claim to avoid it during pregnancy. And from my experiences and the doctor's agreement, as long as you're not quaffing it down by the gallons, a cup of your favorite should be fine in the morning or evening.

As a general standard, I have stepped back from my feverfew and valerian intake completely however .

I'd suggest researching any herb you're going to take on a routine basis because each and every one of them can react with a current health condition. (You wouldn't want to take anything that has had rare adverse affects and causes kidney stones if you've had them in the past naturally)

Quote Originally Posted by teishabee
    So Im making a list of herbs that can have an adverse effect.

Generally on perscribed medicines, but also wanting any so called side effects, or herbs that dont mix together.

So far I have -

St Johns Wort
    Enchicea
    Milk Thisle
    what's bad or adverse about milk thistle?

as for your list, so far i've had odd experiences with sage.

Milk thistle is one of those that's normally ok, it's good for most livers. But if you have pre-existing liver problems then it may react opposite the desired effects.

Milk thistle and the contreception pill dont mix, It stops it from working.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast