Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: So-called bad herbs

Deadly Nightshade or Belladonna was always used in cosmetics. Women painted their eyes with this poison and some of the eye make-up was full of belladonna as it was supposed to make them look sparkly.

I read a novel recently about a fictional queen who used belladonna to make herself look young and I checked it out later, doing some research. It was common to use Atropa Belladonna for centuries by women, especially ladies and princesses.

I think it's still used today in some products that mention it.
    Last edited by ~Runa~; November 19th, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

^^^ Our adoration of all things sparkly will be the death of us.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

I have to agree about Echinacea and mention that to an even stronger degree, Goldenseal can upset the GI tract. These are powerful antibiotic and antiviral medications, and should be used with caution. Taking probiotics before, during, and after their use can help replenish the natural GI flora that is depleted while on these meds. I think that sometimes folks aren't sure quite how/when to take them. A friend of mine was taking an Echinacea capsule once a day with her multivitamin...

Overuse of antibiotics can result in C. Diff - clostridium difficile which is a very serious and potentially fatal disease. I had never heard of it until a loved one contracted and ultimately died from it. Antibiotics are wonderful drugs, but their use should be only as needed and they should be taken with great care. Protect your tummies!
    I am a part of all that I have read.
    ~John Kieran

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
    ~Mother Teresa

You don't have a soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body.
    ~C.S. Lewis

Almost every herb can have an adverse effect on someone
    ~ Má Víli Minn Verđa ~
    ~ Vísenda Vǫlva Verđa ~

All medicinal herbs, and in fact every organic substance on Earth can have an adverse effect on your health, depending on your individual biochemistry, your medical history, medications, dosages, frequency of use, and so on.

Even water is toxic in large doses (we're talking gallons daily, people who have OCD that manifests in drinking water every twelve seconds can have problems), because it actually thins your blood and other fluids in the body and can result in mineral deficiencies because the more water you have to eliminate the more minerals go with it.

Some of the top herbs to be wary of:
    Atropa Belladonna- Raises the heart rate to dangerous levels.

Aconitum Napellus- Aconite, lowers the strength and rate of the pulse, and will stop it in high enough doses.

Amanita muscaria- Agaric Mushroom, causes vivid hallucinatory experiences, followed frequently by death.

Digitalis purpurea- Foxglove, strengthens the heart muscle, but can also cause cardiac arrest.

Cannabis Sativa- Marijuana, has powerful effects on the mind and emotions, but can cause depression, usually destroys motivation, and always decreases intelligence. Some research suggests permanent brain damage and chromosomal damage, but this has not been proven conclusively.

Nerium oleander- Oleander is commonly used decoratively, but merely touching the sap to your skin can cause a systemic toxic reaction.

Datura stramonium- Datura, commonly known as Jimson Weed, and occasionally ingested for its psychedelic and hallucinatory effects, but it is well known for producing "bad trips" and frightening hallucinations, often resulting in death by cardiac arrest.

This list is very short, it includes only plants which are routinely deadly or permanently debilitating to those who are exposed to them, and of those only a small few that are commonly known and that the average person stands a high chance of actually encountering.

I have not included exotic lethal substances, or commonly available toxins that may reasonably be used safely without extensive training, such as Wormwood (which I actually have at home).

I may post again later with some of those, and I'd be happy to dig through my references for information on specific plants.

May you find what you seek,
    Landra

Wolfsbane, as much as it's a poison it can be a medicine. One is the pharma medicine, Arnica cream used to help the skin recover from pain, scratches and bruises.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4