Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So-called bad herbs

Ginseng can cause irritability and and basically just "wind you up" in a similar but more dangerous (when taken orally, it's easy to take too much) way as caffeine. I've also read that you should definitely not take ginseng when taking oral acne medications, but i'm not sure why that is.
    "We all live under the same sky, but we don't see the same horizon."

Quote Originally Posted by Meadhbh View Post
    If you look here they have a good lists of herbs and what you should watch out for : http://www.personalhealthzone.com/herbsafety.html

I'm so glad I looked that this site, I didn't know that chamomile was canceling out my medication for my epilspy.

I'll have to be more carefull from now on.

princeether Guest
    Herbs that contain natural MAO inhibitors, such as Syrian Rue, Yage, Passiflora, St. Johns Wort and Yohimbe, or any plant containing harmala alkaloids, should never be taken with SSRI anti-depressants, as this can cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Major warning slippery elm affects most drugs.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

This site often lets one know what herbs interact with what meds, as well as often listing studies that have shown promise or cast doubt on a particular use of certain herbs.

http://medlineplus.gov/

(Thanks Flaire!)

kava-kava. While I have definately benefitted from it's short-term use, used long-term or in high doses it can be habit-forming and damage the liver. Not that I wouldn't recommend it's use for either medicinal or ritual purposes. Just be smart about it, don't take it if you're on anti-biotics, or other meds that are rough on the liver, or if you drink heavily. And be smart and moderate with its use.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by SageofThyme View Post
    well you did ask a difficult question .....as the answer even with St John's Wort isn't straight forward

It depends on the type of medicine you are taking, quantity taken other medical history etc

It depends how indepth you want to get
    This is true and even mixing it with alchohol can have an adverse effect on people.
    “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years”

Thomas Wolfe

What's wrong with echinacea?
    Georgie Porgie Pudding n' Pie
    Genetic testing doesn't fly
    All the government had to say
    was thou shalt not alter DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
    What's wrong with echinacea?

Echinacea, a North American wildflower, contains a variety of biologically active substances.

Claims: Echinacea is said to stimulate the immune system. When taken at the start of a cold, it is said to shorten the duration of cold symptoms. Well-designed studies have not supported this effect. Topical preparations are used to promote wound healing.

Adverse effects: Most adverse effects are mild and transitory; they include dizziness, fatigue, headache, and GI symptoms. No other adverse effects are known. Theoretically, echinacea is contraindicated in patients with autoimmune disorders, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, TB, and organ transplants because it may stimulate T cells. Echinacea inhibits some cytochrome P-450 enzymes and stimulates others; it can therefore potentially interact with drugs metabolized by the same enzymes (eg, anabolic steroids, azole antifungals, methotrexate Some Trade Names
    RHEUMATREX
    Click for Drug Monograph
    ). Allergic reactions are possible in patients with pollen allergies.
    http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec22/ch331/ch331j.html

I'm currently enrolled in a diploma program for Western Herbalism. Echinacea is considered to be a generally SAFE herb for use by almost anyone. I would recommend that if you are taking medication, are pregnant, nursing, etc and are considering using herbs that you consult a local herbalist in your region. They will be familiar with all the plants in your area and can advise you to use them safely. Most herbalists agree for most of the common plants, but each herbalist will vary on their opinions depending on their experience. It is definitely recommended that you do research as well, and don't just take their word for it. I will attach some good links from my teacher, who has been practicing for over 25 years. Using general google search is a BAD idea! If you don't know what you're looking for you can get all kinds of inaccurate information.

http://herbnet.com

http://herbmed.org
    This site is sort of technical, it has case studies and such, if you're into that kind of thing.

http://www.merck.com

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/comindx.htm

Any of these will give you general information on the herb, lore, history, uses, recipes, contraindications, etc. Some are more useful than others. They are all very user-friendly, with search options.

http://www.plants.usda.gov
    this one is good for general plant info, cultivation, where it grows, etc

ETA: I'm not an herbalist, YET, but I wanted to share my experience/information from my teacher. Please do your research! :D I also take Echinacea myself for sinus infections, I have pretty bad allergies, and have had no noticeable side effects from using it. But please keep in mind your own situation and comfort level before ingesting herbs.
    Last edited by Raivynne; December 21st, 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teishabee View Post
    So Im making a list of herbs that can have an adverse effect.

Generally on perscribed medicines, but also wanting any so called side effects, or herbs that dont mix together.

So far I have -

St Johns Wort
    Enchicea
    Milk Thisle
    Yeah, I've never had even the slightest side effects from any of those, but I don't drink or smoke, and only ever take non-prescription acid-reducers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    Ginseng can cause irritability and and basically just "wind you up" in a similar but more dangerous (when taken orally, it's easy to take too much) way as caffeine. I've also read that you should definitely not take ginseng when taking oral acne medications, but i'm not sure why that is.
    It may have something to do with possible hormonal effects, but don't take my word on it.

I've also read that women shouldn't consume Ginseng on a regular basis, long term because of "loosening of the breasts" . . . .yeah, that's an actual quote!! . . .not sure if it's literal, or is some sort of terminology that Im unaware of . . . .but it's worth using caution!! . . . .It's more of a "man's herb" I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"All phenomena of which we are aware occurs in the mind, therefore the only thing we have to look at is the mind" -Aliester Crowley, on Yoga

"The mark of a moderate woman is freedom from her own ideas" -Lao Tzu

"I shall question him and examine him and test him" -Socrates

"You may win or lose, but to be yourself is all that you can do." -Chris Cornell

"Don't you f**king judge me" -Slipknot

"The fool who is conscious of his folly is thereby wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the one to be called a fool." -Lao Tzu

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast