Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on Christian religion?

Christianity seems to be a good path at heart, following the teachings of Jesus. However, I cannot help but think, many do not follow the heart of the religion, only the surface. Which is not a spiritual path, but one filled with intolerance, prejudice and often, hate, the opposite of Jesus' message, as far as I can tell.

like LB said elsewhere, what a lot of people are following might not be Jesus
    Betrayal is Forever
    :idea: inverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean? :D

"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy
    You shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.

"We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harming all."-Doreen

is offline Hmmmmmmm, will get back to you on it!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Little Billy
    I like their Christ.

I don't like most Christians.

They are so unlike their Christ.
    DITTO
    Warmest regards,
    Tamela
    "Were it not for hope the heart would break." --Scottish proverb

I don't mind the religion. It's alot of the people I don't like

Quote Originally Posted by LightDancer
    I love Jesus Christ! I am a Jesus Freak...lol.

I just wish more Christians would try to emulate the Man their religion is centered around. Lucky for me I have found a home church that does exactly that

I am a Christian so I am fond of the Christian religion, as long as those following it are living according to Christ's teaching, instead of getting caught up in rules and condemning members of the body.

I hope that made sense

Jamie

I like that answer!

I haven't been chatty in the threads lately (just reading occasionally) for health reasons - but reading this thread and your reply made me feel a sudden urge to speak up. You worded it beautifully. Big hugs to you - and may our Father bless you!
    your sister in Christ - Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Salanthos
    Christianity seems to be a good path at heart, following the teachings of Jesus. However, I cannot help but think, many do not follow the heart of the religion, only the surface. Which is not a spiritual path, but one filled with intolerance, prejudice and often, hate, the opposite of Jesus' message, as far as I can tell.
    I hear you.
    I think the problem is an interesting one... if you notice, a lot of times people will say, "I don't like Christianity because - " and then they'll say something describing *the people who identify themselves as being Christians.* They won't necessarily say anything about Christian theology or typical beliefs with which they disagree - but will express something about the behavior of people. So, if they've had awful experiences or relationships with certain people, that will translate to "I don't like Christianity." Or worse, they'll decide that if they've known ten rude Christians, then whatever those Christians have done becomes representative of what Christians believe or how Christians act.

It would be like if I started saying things about paganism that were based on my last negative interaction with a pagan, rather than expressing that I disagree with some aspect of pagan theology and then backing up my belief with examples that make sense.

If it's said that "many" don't follow the teachings of Jesus even if they call themselves Christian, that's certainly true... but it's also true that many people do follow His teachings. I know a lot of people in the pagan communities have been hurt by Christians in their lives or have been terribly insulted in some way, or whatever the case may be... but what bothers me is that there is such a highly charged emotional reaction to Christianity because of it (I'm not speaking of your post, Salanthos - I'm being very general right now). It becomes common to see discussions online where people talk about Christianity in a negative way, but if you pay attention, you see that the conversation is really about certain horrible experiences, and not really about Christianity at all. It almost seems like people believe that the *majority* of Christians are hideous, and that Christianity in general is just a hateful, negative faith.

The thing is, even within Christian circles, it's commonly known that not everyone who says "I'm a Christian" *is* a Christian in a spiritual-decision-and-relationship-with-Jesus sort of way... some are cultural Christians, some are Sunday-Christians, some are "pew warmers" as they call them (maybe their spouse "makes them" attend). As far as having a relationship with Jesus Christ... but some people really don't have that and don't necessarily *want* that.

Some people are Christian because they think it's good to go to church and have some sort of spiritual connection for their children.
    I've talked to people who go to church fairly regularly who don't read the Bible or really think much about their religion unless it's a church day. They may not even know the basics of Christian belief - and not be concerned about it at all because as long as they're going to church, then they feel they're spiritually connected.

Other people really study the Bible and learn the basics of their religious denomination's beliefs, and continue learning for the rest of their lives; they pray and keep their faith in mind throughout their day, try to emulate Jesus and apply His teachings and so forth.

Put those two types of Christians at a table for a religious conversation and chances are great that there will be many subjects that they can't discuss in the same way when it comes to theological concepts. For one of them it's a relationship-with-Jesus thing and for the other it's a "do it because it's the right thing" thing, or a "go to church because that's what the wife wants" thing, or a "we have to say the blessing at dinner because that's what good people do" thing... so they aren't going to be speaking the same language. They're coming from completely different places. Plus, one of them will have viewpoints about things that they've studied and they will have integrated lessons that the other person hasn't known about or given thought to.

Incidentally, there's also another type of Christian: the type that has studied theology and put some time into becoming a knowledgeable Christian, whether because they wanted to do it or because of attendance at a religious school or university... but they still don't have a relationship with Christ or a daily life that weaves their faith into the way they live.

Jerky, thoughtless Christians can be found in any category, but it's more likely to be found with people who are considering themselves Christians based on the fact that they were baptized as babies, or their family isn't Jewish, or some other factor that doesn't include a personal devotion to Christ. That relationship, if a person has one, tends to make people think before they act.

Of course, there are some rabid Christians - but if you notice, many of them are acting based on personal ideas or politics rather than purely speaking based on Scripture.

As I said, jerks can be found everywhere and in any religion - but their jerkiness isn't necessarily anything that speaks for what their religion is like. The person may be basing their views on misunderstood theology, or they may be saying horrible things because they grew up with really hateful examples in their own parents' behavior. Who knows?

Sorry for the rambling... just thinking out loud!

Stephanie
    Stephanie Áine llllllllllll
    Forum Guide/Celtic Christianity
    Paths: Druids, Celts, & Celtic Christians

2 Cor. 5:17-19 / Matt 22:37-40 / Luke 11:33-36

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieAine
    Sorry for the rambling... just thinking out loud!
    Stephanie
    I only wish my rambling was so well rambled!

I am not a Christian, but I have great respect for the religion and many of its followers. As Stephanie said... jerks can be found in every religion.

Ever notice the "jerk-y" ones are often the most outspoken ones in any religion or path?
    It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
    ~Henry David Thoreau

I respect the religion, but its not for me, and I dont care for the "holyier than thou" perspective that some christians have. I'm not saying that they all do, but it bugs me.

finding my wings so i can fly

Its not for me. Like people have said and I'll admit it has a lot to do with the people rather than the belief system. If people really try to act the way Jesus taught them to then it can be a good road for them. The thing is that the church has changed the teachings of Jesus to fit their own goals far to much. People take these new ways of doing things as they way they should be and this is not always true. The church gives people enough informartion to make them think they have some insight on the universe and how it works when all the priests are doing is hand feeding people just enough to keep them happy and thats not good.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Yay Jesus! Boo Church!---shuvanilu
    "Calm down, Neddly diddily diddily diddily, doodily. They did their best shodaiddily iddily iddily diddily diddily. Gotta be nice, hostidididildilidilly ah HELL diddily ding dong crap! Can't you morons do anything RIGHT!?"---Ned Flanders

I like Jesus and Mary Magdalene, but I'm not Christian. It's a nice enough religion; I just don't do religions.
    I'll put a spell on you;
    You'll fall asleep, and I'll put a spell on you.
    And when I wake you, I'll be the first thing you see,
    And you'll realize that you love me.
    Aqualung (Strange & Beautiful)

I am a very happy Christian. I am also very happy a practicing magick. After leaving the "church" because of the message and the way I was treated it took me almost 10 years of searching for spiritual peace before finding my path and realizing it was the people after Jesus that wasn't carrying Jesus message. It was not Jesus message. And now that I started studying the Nag Hammadi Library a new dimension has open up to me. Look at my signature is a message very similar to pagan ones. I am blessed.

However most Christian are so busy preaching hell they don't live by the words or actions of Jesus. Most Christian try to force Jesus never did. I can understand why many pagans are put off Christian faith. I believe in Jesus but would not be treated kindly because my Gnostic views of Jesus and what His message to us was differs from the tradition views. Heck 2,000 years ago it would have been a toss up, would I be thrown to the lions in the Roman coliseum for being a Christian or be burnt at the stake for being a heretic.:idea:

But I want you to know that not all Christian are like that and the number is growing. May one day all faiths will get along. :cheers:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast