Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on Christian religion?

I see christian BB's in this person's future. To the person who started this thread, I would suggest a better question in the future.
    Last edited by Sivafae; April 22nd, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

Ever seen the Poser-Mobile commercials? Those guys right there. Just not in such a literal sense.
    Darius

I think Christianity has amazing potential. Personally, I have never come across any message that has more potential to change a life, change a person to the good than the message of Christ. It is really radical. It is full of hope and very impowering. If I could believe it, down to it's very roots, I would be a Christian.

But I have my doubts...and I can never tell if they are with the message of Christ, or with what his message has been twisted into over the centuries. I have a hard time ferreting out what Christ beleived about himself.

Honestly, many of my personal heroes are/were deeply devoted, authentic practicing Christians. Many more of them than were pagans. Could be merely the result of who and what I have been most exposed to in my life, but there it is.

I am a pantheist, and I have found quite a good number of them that I respect. But I'm not the type to try to "prove" Jesus was a pantheist just because it would be convenient for me.

I think that Christian morality fits my personality best, and it is what I strive for in my own life. The message of service, and respect for my fellow man motivates me deeply.

I like a religion that is challenging, and Jesus said some hard stuff. Some faiths seem to have reinterpreted his words, and feed them to their followers in manageable bite sized bits. But to really read, ponder and follow the words of Christ...wow, that is some hard, close to the bone, often mystical stuff.

Where I currently stand, I don't call myself a Christian, because I simply don't believe what modern day Christians do, or profess to, and I am not going to hijack their name for my own purposes.

But I think a great deal of Christ's teachings and try to incorporate them into my life. Not because God demands it, because I don't see that as truth. I do it because doing so transforms my life, right here, right now, today, into something worth living, and allows me to do the most good. I don't believe in an afterlife...so it is really important for me to have the best earth life I can...and living that path allows me to do so.

I haven't met any more or fewer a**holes among the Christians than among any other group. Lots of times I am embarrassed by the behavior and beliefs of folks at pagan gatherings too.

In the end, I have found that people who have a strong faith in a tradition that has an ethical foundation of some sort, and they actually take their faith seriously and live it...those people I usually end up having high respect for. It seems to be the spiritually lazy, of any faith, that give it a bad name.

It seem if folks respect themselves, respect their trad and respect others...it hardly matters which faith they belong to, they will be the sort of folk I am honored to share the earth with.

cheddar

In agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Little Billy
    I like their Christ.

I don't like most Christians.

They are so unlike their Christ.
    I'm going to have to agree with Billy here. While I think the teachings are Jesus are incredibly powerful moral tales. If christians looked more to christ for inspiration to live their life by they would be more like buddist monks. I think that the Christians, in general, hold a very very narrow view of reality.
    :cheers:

I'm a huge fan of Abrahamic traditions. I believe there is a lot of power to be found in it (considering that 90% of the world is more or less Abrahamic) and there's a lot of wisdom to be found. Certainly many people view Abrahamic religions as 'un-magical,' but it has a very rich magical history. In fact, its influences in western magick is so immense that any studier of magick will eventually run into Hermetics, which, is tied strongly to Abrahamic beliefs.

There's a lot information to be gotten from Christianity and I feel like people should understand the merits of Christianity better. Other things that people forget include the persecution of the Christians throughout the Roman reign by pagans and the persecution of Jews throughout most eras of history (from Sumeria onwards, they were pretty much hated everywhere).

I reject Christianity entirely.

If I accepted Christianity, I'd be a Christian.

Instead I'm a Pagan, taking pleasure in the things that Christianity rejects.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred
    Ticfa Tálcenn
    Tar muir mercenn
    a thrí thollcenn,
    a chrann crombcenn.

Canfaid míchrábud
    a méis í n-airthuir a thige;
    fris-gérat a muinter uile:
    Amén, Amén.

Quote Originally Posted by coeur
    I'm a huge fan of Abrahamic traditions. I believe there is a lot of power to be found in it (considering that 90% of the world is more or less Abrahamic) and there's a lot of wisdom to be found. Certainly many people view Abrahamic religions as 'un-magical,' but it has a very rich magical history. In fact, its influences in western magick is so immense that any studier of magick will eventually run into Hermetics, which, is tied strongly to Abrahamic beliefs.

There's a lot information to be gotten from Christianity and I feel like people should understand the merits of Christianity better. Other things that people forget include the persecution of the Christians throughout the Roman reign by pagans and the persecution of Jews throughout most eras of history (from Sumeria onwards, they were pretty much hated everywhere).
    That's what i think too, i think there's a lot of great things in Christianity (and Judaism and Islam, etc), i know there are fundamentalists (but, at least to me, it seems they're all in America), but the majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc that i know aren't fundamentalist in any way (like my grandma, on my dad's side, was a devout Catholic, but she loved visiting other countries such as Egypt, and others, where the majority is Muslim, she also completly accepted my uncle when he came out as gay, etc).

Also, like you said, people forget that Christian's were persecuted too by the Roman's (and others), a lot of 'pagans' go on about the 'burning times' (even though most of the people killed were Christians or Jews) , yet forget the persecution of Christian's (and Jews, who like you said, have been persecuted by nearly every group - Romans placed a pig's head on their altar, re-dedicated their temple to Jupiter, a Greek king, who i can't remember his name but it begins with a M, viciously attacked the Jews, etc).

It seems to me, a lot of 'pagans' are hypocritical (not so much on this forum, though), and also i've seen people go on about how Jesus 'couldn't have existed', and yet they'll believe in Fae, and everything else (which i do too, BTW). Also, one thing i don't like is when, in books, people (like SRW, and others) will say that angels don't belong to any one religion, even though i don't think they have them in the Norse religion, etc, and they'll then use angels that are Jewish, (like Michael, Gabriel, etc).

I think, that the 'pagans' and others who have a problem with Christianity (or Judaism or Islam or whatever), really need to wake up and realise that Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc are perfectly valid belief systems, and that the people there do have perfectly valid spiritual experiences (with Jesus, Mary, Yahweh/Allah, etc), just like 'pagans' will have perfectly valid experiences with the Norse gods or the Greek gods or the Sumerian, or Aztec, Kemetic, etc.

They also need to wake up and realise there are bigger problems in this world, right now, someone is dying every 3 seconds, because of hunger or poverty in Africa, right now, innocent people in Iraq are being killed, etc. I think these (and other things) are worth more than what some people did a thousand years ago.

Also, something that bothers me is that a lot of 'pagans' will go on about how Christianity turned 'their god' into the 'devil', which isn't true, Azazel, a Hebrew spirit/demon/god is, probably, the inspiration for the Christian Satan, while my beliefs about Satan aren't as a 'ruler of evil', but more like Diane Vera's . It also seems to me that so many people won't believe in the Jewish/Christian/Islamic god and other spirits and gods that are associated with them, yet they will in every other single god that ever existed.

BTW, i've just realised that this has kind of turned into a rant a bit, and may have gone a bit off topic, so i'm sorry if it has.
    Last edited by David19; May 3rd, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

is offline Eloquence belongs to the conquerer
    Quote Originally Posted by ap Dafydd
    I reject Christianity entirely.

If I accepted Christianity, I'd be a Christian.

Instead I'm a Pagan, taking pleasure in the things that Christianity rejects.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred
    'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by David19
    That's what i think too, i think there's a lot of great things in Christianity (and Judaism and Islam, etc), i know there are fundamentalists (but, at least to me, it seems they're all in America), but the majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc that i know aren't fundamentalist in any way (like my grandma, on my dad's side, was a devout Catholic, but she loved visiting other countries such as Egypt, and others, where the majority is Muslim, she also completly accepted my uncle when he came out as gay, etc).

Also, like you said, people forget that Christian's were persecuted too by the Roman's (and others), a lot of 'pagans' go on about the 'burning times' (even though most of the people killed were Christians or Jews) , yet forget the persecution of Christian's (and Jews, who like you said, have been persecuted by nearly every group - Romans placed a pig's head on their altar, re-dedicated their temple to Jupiter, a Greek king, who i can't remember his name but it begins with a M, viciously attacked the Jews, etc).

It seems to me, a lot of 'pagans' are hypocritical (not so much on this forum, though), and also i've seen people go on about how Jesus 'couldn't have existed', and yet they'll believe in Fae, and everything else (which i do too, BTW). Also, one thing i don't like is when, in books, people (like SRW, and others) will say that angels don't belong to any one religion, even though i don't think they have them in the Norse religion, etc, and they'll then use angels that are Jewish, (like Michael, Gabriel, etc).

I think, that the 'pagans' and others who have a problem with Christianity (or Judaism or Islam or whatever), really need to wake up and realise that Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc are perfectly valid belief systems, and that the people there do have perfectly valid spiritual experiences (with Jesus, Mary, Yahweh/Allah, etc), just like 'pagans' will have perfectly valid experiences with the Norse gods or the Greek gods or the Sumerian, or Aztec, Kemetic, etc.

They also need to wake up and realise there are bigger problems in this world, right now, someone is dying every 3 seconds, because of hunger or poverty in Africa, right now, innocent people in Iraq are being killed, etc. I think these (and other things) are worth more than what some people did a thousand years ago.

Also, something that bothers me is that a lot of 'pagans' will go on about how Christianity turned 'their god' into the 'devil', which isn't true, Azazel, a Hebrew spirit/demon/god is, probably, the inspiration for the Christian Satan, while my beliefs about Satan aren't as a 'ruler of evil', but more like Diane Vera's . It also seems to me that so many people won't believe in the Jewish/Christian/Islamic god and other spirits and gods that are associated with them, yet they will in every other single god that ever existed.

BTW, i've just realised that this has kind of turned into a rant a bit, and may have gone a bit off topic, so i'm sorry if it has.
    Yes I agree with everything here. In addition to this, it should be noted that Judaism is very ancient and at least half of Christianity is more or less Jewish text. That means that the majority of Christian history is also Jewish history to some extent. How far back does Judaism go? As far back as Sumeria. Certainly this takes away credit from the 'our-gods-are-older' argument considering that this was also about the time that Egypt started its civilization and the Chinese started cultivating the area around the Yellow River.

As for Satan, many Jews believe that Satan is an agent of God. He is known as the 'Adversary,' and a tempter of man. However, he can also be seen as the creation that gave man a choice. Satan gives the other side of the coin and advertises the pleasures of 'sins.' After all, even with free will, if there were only good things in the world, then there wouldn't really be a choice anyway. However, if man could choose to be good and follow God or be evil and follow Satan, then that would be a practise of free will. I hate quoting Wikipedia, but it writes:

"In the book of Job (Iyov), ha-satan is the title, not the proper name, of an angel submitted to God; he is the divine court's chief prosecutor. In Judaism ha-satan does not make evil, rather points out to God the evil inclinations and actions of humankind. In essence ha-satan has no power unless humans do evil things. After God points out Job's piety, ha-satan asks for permission to test the faith of Job. The righteous man is afflicted with loss of family, property, and later, health, but he still stays faithful to God. At the conclusion of this book God appears as a whirlwind, explaining to all that divine justice is inscrutable with human intellect. In the epilogue Job's possessions are restored and he has a second family to "replace" the one that died."

is offline Conformity is for the simpleminded
    I don't believe in Christianity myself. Too many rules. I believe that one should be capable of being a moral person without having to be told like a little kid "don't do that" or "do this". I don't need a moral babysitter.
    Also, I think too many Christians take what ever their pastor or bishop or even the Bible says as the complete and utter truth without ever giving it a second thought. Besides the fact that because Christians are monotheists and believe that there is only one "true God" it seems they think that everyone who doesn't believe the same must either be evil or confused by the devil and going to hell. It's an us vs. them situation and breeds bad feelings all around. I just don't need it.
    Last edited by jinx1_2; May 5th, 2006 at 03:49 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast