Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Granny Magic Tradition

Appalachian Granny Magic Tradition

Anyone here follow this path?
    I found a few sites that explain the beliefs. But I'm still curious for more.

I'm interested in it because it blends Cherokee beliefs into the path. And well, I've been looking for anything and anyway to honor te path and Gods of my dad's ancestors.
    Somewhere mentioned that they honor Grandmother Spider (Kanene Ski Amai Yehi), used Tsalagi (cherokee) language for spells, hymns and other things.
    So it's looking really interesting to me.

We must be sisters. Keep bumping into each other on these different paths.
    Slavic, Native American and now this one!
    Sending a pm, but here's the Appalachian Pagan Alliance's links page.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/appalach...linkspage.html

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, And the wind longs to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

We are pilgrims on a journey/ And companions on the road,
    We are here to help each other/ Walk the mile and bear the load.
    I will weep when you are weeping,/ When you laugh I'll laugh with you.
    I will share your joy and sorrow/ 'Til we've seen this journey, through.
    ~Author unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by Belle Terre
    Anyone here follow this path?
    I found a few sites that explain the beliefs. But I'm still curious for more.

I'm interested in it because it blends Cherokee beliefs into the path. And well, I've been looking for anything and anyway to honor te path and Gods of my dad's ancestors.
    Somewhere mentioned that they honor Grandmother Spider (Kanene Ski Amai Yehi), used Tsalagi (cherokee) language for spells, hymns and other things.
    So it's looking really interesting to me.
    I also find this path interesting. Here is an article I found a few months back:

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...=trads&id=3207

Thanks you two

Lyntwyn: Got your PM. It'll take a while to read though it all!
    We must be sisters. Keep bumping into each other on these different paths.Slavic, Native American and now this one!
    Lol. Yeah, I noticed that. Pretty funny. Wanna compare notes some time?

Sage: Thanks for the link.

On a related note. Anyone rememebr the TV show, Beverly Hillbillies? Granny on the show was more likely this kind of granny than being anyone's grandmother, though I am not sure where the character's name actually came from. I have a book somewhere, it explained some things, like why we still burn trash in the county I grew up in.
    Official High Priestess,Oracle, Alchemist, and
    Polymother Church of Eris
    Little cheese, Nachos and Crapachino Cabal
    Ghirardellian for CLF

My TShirt says:
    Comfort the Disturbed
    Disturb the Comfortable

This has always been my mission in life :hehehehe:

I've noticed that when I use my intuition, I get the best results. Upon studying these methods, it all boils down to granny magick. I'm only the first generation of my mother's family to have been born outside of the Appalachians since my ancestors came over from various lands about Ireland, England, Scotland, etc. and started mingling about 300 years ago. (My other grandmother was from the Ozarks, and a Green Witch if I ever saw one.)
    Our Blog! The Intuitive Unschooler

Freaky Mama to Arlo, Donovan, and Iris! (Homeschooled since birth!)

as well as three cats, six cockatiels, and one parakeet.

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    I found this while searching for information on it. Also, this on Appalachian folklore.
    Last edited by Philosophia; May 14th, 2006 at 07:03 AM.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva Mind
    I found this while searching for information on it. Also, this on Appalachian folklore.
    Thanks Minerva (did you see how long that one posters sig was sheesh. lol) and everyone else

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle Terre
    Thanks Minerva (did you see how long that one posters sig was sheesh. lol) and everyone else
    I know...geesh, its worse than mine
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Hi
    There is a yahoo group. The woman who runs it, I believe is the founder of the specific tradition. The group however is an eclectic mix of people with ties to the Appalachian region.

I would not say it is true appalachian. That is like saying all pagans are wiccan. I myself practice a very similar path. The history of magic in the Appalachians is definately intresting. It is a mix of the traditions of the cherokee, other indiginious tribes. the scot-irish, and the germans, who all came to this area in the 18th century. The isolation of the area kept many of those traditions intact well into the 19th century. Many never called themselves witches, most considered themselves christians, and each path was almost completely unique to a family. I believe what exists today is more of reconstructionism than carried ver traditions. I have been doing some research and some of the techniques they used would not want to repeated in this day and age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast