Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reiki, Learning Sources

Thanks for sharing the Reiki site links.
    BB
    Seafoam

Just a note, be careful not to fall for any of the Reiki scams. While I know that distance attunements are possible, offers for highly impersonal Reiki attunements are nothing short of fake. I would strongly suggest taking classes in person, especially if you want to learn Usui Reiki. If you cannot, then over a distance (I believe) works fine. After all, Reiki can do distance healing, so why not distance attunements? With proper training, one can learn to allow it to transcend time and space. Be that as it may, be careful!!! Best of luck to you
    The truth against the world.

The best advice I can offer.

1. Look for a local meet up or reiki circle in your area. These are usually groups of Reiki practitioners and teachers that just get together to share experiences and Reiki. This will help give a "newbie" an idea of what to expect. All groups I have attended have been friendly, informative and welcoming.

2. Ask the prospective teacher what their "Lineage" is. Most every teacher should know their lineage and not be afraid to share it. If this is not know and shared, this should be a major red flag. This gives you an idea on the kind of training your prospective teacher has. There are far too many "Reiki Internet Masters" out there who are giving incomplete or wrong information. The general consensus is the closer you are to Mikao Usui the better. It’s kind of like the bucket theory. As water gets dumped from one bucket to the next, there is almost always some that spills and is lost. If you are receiving water for your bucket that has been transferred too many times, much of what was originally in there is gone. Often times other "add on’s" have been put into the bucket to make it seem complete. Please be aware of this when choosing a teacher.

3. Beware of teacher who claim to have been trained in many styles. A teacher with fewer styles but more depth in their practice is much more valuable than a teacher who claims to have been attuned to many different styles. The internet is loaded with these types of teachers. Beware of them. They usually lack any real knowledge of what they're claiming to be teaching.

4. Reiki Master. This term should bring up a red flag. It is based more on ego the on mastery of an art form. Would you take kung fu from someone who claimed to be a master after reading the online material? There are many website who will train you to be a master just by downloading their material and getting their distance attunement. Most teachers do not refer to themselves as Reiki Masters. Reiki Shihan is the proper title.

5. Go to a site like this to find a teacher in your area. http://www.iarp.org/
    If they do not have something in your area don't give up. Do not be afraid to contact them and ask them to point you in the right direction. Legitimate Reiki Teacher are a close knit group. If they cannot help you, they will probably at least be able to send you in the right direction.

Reiki is about healing yourself. As you progress through, you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. Healing others is, IMHO, just an additional benefit after healing yourself. If I am drowning, how could I possible help someone else who is also drowning. It is only after I learn to swim that I may help others learn also.

Komyo Reiki Kai
    Last edited by 1esoteric; August 14th, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling corection
    Dennis

After having a few sessions and finding it really helpful I am very interested in learning reiki myself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2