Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Legends (please share yours)

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer

Cool Local Legends (please share yours)

I think local myths and monsters kick ass, and many of them are not heard of by anyone who lives outside of the area. That wolf-dog thing recently found in Maine is a perfect example of a local legend. For 15 years there were whispers of some bizarre creature there, and now the carcass has been found which proves there was something to the legend.

In my area there are a few local legends that I am aware of, and probably more that I'm not. I know that in the late 60's there was a report of a woman being attacked by a bigfoot in my area. That's pretty much it as far as bigfoot sightings go, that I know of.... my area is probably too far developed now to sustain such a creature (if it ever did).

I wish I knew of any local ghosts or anything else, but I can't say I know of anything like that around here...

What are some local legends in your area? I would love to hear any tales of local ghosts, curses, monsters, UFOs, aliens, lake monsters, and any other bizarre happenings that no one outside of your area really knows about.
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

Well, I live in Northern California, right in the middle of Bigfoot country. ALthough I haven't seen it, I have a friend that has. When he was about 8 years old.

ALso, I live in the coast near a bay. Inthe middle of the bay is an island called Indian Island. As the story goes, in the 1800's a group of white people from the main land got together one night and went over to Indian Island (where a community of Native Americans were living) and slaughtered them all in one night, men, women and children. I don't know how many people died, but it had to be at least a hundred or two. Ever since then it's well known that there is something about that island that is not right. There is a bridge that goes to that island and continues on to the peninsula. No one lives on that island anymore, I think that they have tried to put buildings on that island and something alsways went wrong. But basically everyone knows that there's something wrong with that island. It's very creepy. I would never be caught on that island at night.

I also know a ghost named Patti who is 16 years old in a house in a nearby town. She is the daughter of the man who built the house. She killed herself when she was 16 and because she was afraid that she would go to hell for killing herself, she stayed on earth. She killed herself by hanging herself out of her bedroom window. How I got to meet Patti was my friend was living in the house that Patti lived and died in. Apparently, and occording to my friend, she is afraid of men. She always runs back intoher room whenever myfriend's husband come home.
    THere's nothing TOO DAMN STUPID humans won't do!
    - Terry Prachitt

I think Bigfoot has a cousin in Oklahoma because supposedly he/she's hiding out there too.

As for Texas, hm...well aside from a Route 66 running through a part of Texas, there's this thing my 6th grade Texas history teacher told us.
    During Halloween, he'd dress up as a Crypt Keeper, deck his entire class room like a cemetery and tell us Texas ghost stories. (He went all out with sound effects, lighting and fog)

I remember one in particular about a railroad in San Antonio.
    A long time ago there was a school bus filled with kids crossing a railroad but the bus broke down in the middle of it. A train came and killed everyone on it. Now the children haunt that railroad track. It's said that if you go there at night and put your car on neutral, the children will push your car across the tracks. If you put powder or flour on the back of your car you can see their little hand prints. I think it happens year round but more people go out there during Halloween.

Some people are just asses and slam on their breaks when they're being pushed across though. Then the kids start pounding on their car.

The Alamo of course is haunted, never been there so I have no stories.

Another place is the USS Lexington docked out at Corpus Christi beach.
    I took a school trip there and we got to spend a few nights on the ship.
    It's said to be haunted by old crew members. The lights would flicker, the water in the showers and sink would turn on by themselves.
    When I was there we were separate, girls and guys slept in different quarters of the ship.
    One of my teachers freaked out in the middle of the night because she felt someone kissing her. All I remember was screaming and the lights came on and all the girls woke up.
    My greatest power is my mind.

My Blog Associated Content The Daily Cougar

Okay, here are a few from my area.

There are legends of caves along the river bluffs that were/are used by devil worshippers for rituals and sacrifices. Everyone has heard of them, but no one knows just where they are. All accounts of visiting them are from a "friend of a friend." It's a story that I think is more myth than anything else.

The main branch of the city library system is in an old building downtown. It's reported to be haunted by the ghost of what is assumed to be a former librarian. The staff at the library call her Rosie. I know a lot of the librarians and many have told me of personal experiences they have had. One woman said things would routinely disappear, and when they asked Rosie to return them, the items would turn up on the checkout counter. Another was working late in the children's department, in the basement, and heard footsteps in the hall outside. When she went to see who was there, the hall was completely empty. The desk faced the open doorway, which provided her with a clear view of the hallway, so she would have seen if anyone had come down the stairs. She also said that on one occasion, the keys of the computer keyboard were typing by themselves. Another couple of librarians told me that one morning, the huge card catalog cabinet, which normally sat on a table, had been set down on the floor. This was a heavy oak cabinet, and it took six men to lift it back onto the table. The janitor has reported numerous instances where the elevator will turn on and start operating early in the morning when he is the only one in the building. The school district offices are located on the top floor of the library building, and they have reported doors opening and closing by themselves.

We also have a reportedly haunted art gallery. It used to be the home of a wealthy couple in the late 1800's/early 1900's, the Albrechts. One of the items on display is a chair and desk that belonged to Mr. Albrecht. People have reported seeing a figure sitting in the chair. A few years ago, the gallery underwent some renovation to restore some of the rooms to their former appearances when the building was a home, and strange things apparently started happening. The story is that Mr. Albrecht was a drinker and gambler, and his wife didn't like that aspect of his life. He had a room in the basement where he and friends would drink, play pool and cards, and just basically carouse. After he died, Mrs. Albrecht decided to redo that room to remove the memory of her husband's activities there. She had everything taken out of the room and repainted the black walls white. Okay, that was the background info, now back to the renovation. According to the workmen, while they were stripping this room, they uncovered the original black walls. That's when things began to happen. Missing tools, mysterious power outages, flickering lights, that sort of thing. Nothing new or original, but interesting nonetheless. Naturally, everyone thought it must be Mrs. Albrecht coming back to show her displeasure at having this room she had despised restored. I don't know if these activities have continued since the renovation was finished or not.

Anyway, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
    -Euripedes

No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim.
    -W. Emerson Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trithemius
    There are legends of caves along the river bluffs that were/are used by devil worshippers for rituals and sacrifices.
    I highly doubt thats what they were for (sacrifices).

The Jersey Devil (Leeds Devil)

We have a story that dates back to the 18th century. There are dozens of different versions of it.. X-files borrowed the theme for one of its eppisodes..

The origin of the creature dates back to the 18th century. The story goes as follows: when Mrs. Leeds, an indigent woman living in secluded poverty with her twelve starving children, found out she was to have another child exclaimed: "I don't want any more children! Let it be a devil." When the child was born, it was horribly deformed. It crawled from the womb and up the chimney and out into the woods. It is rumored to have fed on small children and livestock while haunting the area for years to come. Hence, the creatures other name is the Leeds Devil.

here is a link to an article which was featured in strangemag.com
    http://www.strangemag.com/jerseydevil1.html
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

My university campus is haunted like you wouldn't believe. o.o
    Pretty much every building has at least one ghost for some reason or another. Some like to knock things off shelves or cause some sort of mischief (there was one in my old dorm like this...there's a long shelf extending across the room sometimes I would be up doing homework or something and things would inexplicably tumble off of it that shouldn't, and continue to do so until I placed them on my bed or my roommate's.), others tend to be just kinda there as apparitions that appear for a few seconds and fade away. Most tend to be the quieter ones.
    Also, people have been dropping dead a lot on campus of late...someone on my floor in my old dorm of asphyxiation due to asthma, another of an aneurysm in one of the science buildings, and yet another just before spring break of alcohol poisoning, so their spirits might haunt the campus now as well...also, a little theatre area inset into a small hill (The Ravine, as we call it) is also quite haunted, at night you can see all kinds of people that seem to vanish instantly...creeps me out something awful.

Well, This area is so quiet and nothing ever pops up around here.
    *Goes to next room and shuts door[[[ :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla ]]]
    OK, I'm better now *
    Here is a start....

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/hauntedtours3.html

http://www.prairieghosts.com/brayrd.html

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/burlingtonwi

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/burlin...swehmhoff.html

There are more within a 10 mile radius I could try to hunt down if anyone is interested. LOL
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by amunakht
    I highly doubt thats what they were for (sacrifices).
    I highly doubt they exist at all, but that's the legend, which is what the topic of this thread is about - local legends.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
    -Euripedes

No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim.
    -W. Emerson Wright

Newfoundland has a ton of ghost stories and stuff... here's a few that I found (I thought there would be more - guess most of them are in books instead.):

http://www.hauntedhike.com/nlghosts.htm

http://www.castleofspirits.com/stori...nsitivity.html

http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories06/thetree.html

http://www.offdarock.com/ghostStories.asp

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast