Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Legends (please share yours)

Leaping Place of Souls
    Desolate Kaena Point was known as a place from which souls departed from the earth. Here, the souls of the dead, or near dead, wander. Here they leap into the night. Good souls move to the right when leaping; those who move to the left fall into the pit of endless night.
    Birthplace of Chiefs
    The sacred birthing stone of Hawaiian royalty. A large, brown lava rock with a sculptured area that supported the mother in a semi-sitting position while she gave birth. Often women who come to this site experience birthing pains identifying with the mothers of the past.
    Home of Fireballs and Spirits
    The cemetery has a reputation of being haunted. Over many years, tales have spread about the glowing fires and swirling little balls of light that fly over the graves here. The Hawaiians refer to fireballs as akua lele, or Flying Gods. Some say that the appearance of such a ball of light is an omen of impending death.
    The Menehune Pathway
    A heiau so ancient that it is believed the menehune a legendary race of small people built it. The menehune had a reputation for hard work, and they are believed to have hauled the rocks a long distance, passing them down a line hand-to-hand in a single night. A pathway of stones leading across the platform is known as the menehune pathway.
    Secret Burial Caves and Night Marchers
    The remains of more than four hundred chiefs are said to be buried in the caves above Kualoa Ranch. Night marchers have been seen here, chiefs and warriors in huge ghostly processions, marching from their burial caves high in the mountains to the sea. Some of the many road accidents in the area have been attributed to these sightings.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

There's the legend of Theorosa's Bridge. There are several versions ranging from Indians attacking a wagon train and stealing a baby to a mother having an illegitimate baby that she drowned and then she drowned herself. The original bridge burned down in the 70's, was rebuilt but that bridge also burned down. The road was then closed for several years, but was finally opened again and a concrete bridge was built there.
    http://www.prairieghosts.com/theorosa.html

I've never been able to find out exactly where this bridge is, just that it's a few miles from Valley Center, which is where I work.

My ex actually claimed to see Bigfoot a couple of times during his life. The first time he and some high school buddies went for a walk after dark along the Arkansas River behind the truck stop and saw several saplings that were bent over or snapped in half. Then they heard something walking through the underbrush nearby and started to run back to the car on the road. But the guy at the back of the group felt something push him down. He scrambled to his feet and caught up with the group at the car, and when he turned around there was a huge handprint on the back of his shirt.

The second sighting was a few years later after he and I got married. He was working at a plant that made farming machinery and he and another guy drove forklift trucks out into the storage area and would load up boxes and pallets and drive them into the plant. The plant was a few miles upriver from the first encounter with Bigfoot. The guys were working 2nd shift and were out on their forklifts one evening around 10:30 when they heard yelling coming from the houses just across the train tracks. They headed that way on their forklifts and their headlights caught a huge man-shaped figure running flatout over the train tracks and across the storage lot. They gave chase but couldn't catch up with the figure even though those forklifts can go 30 mph. When the cops arrived a short time later, all they would say was that someone had stolen a fresh baked pie that cooling on the table just inside someone's back door. They both said it didn't look like any guy they'd ever seen.

Not exactly a legend, but once, on Halloween, me, a friend, his g/f, and her son (a baby) went out on a "haunted" road near Stillwater looking for ghosts. (I'm not sure the name of the road or the legend with it). The child wasn't in a baby seat, we were all in my pick up. It was late at night, and everything was still, when someone (IIRC) in a pick up got on my back bumper. The road was just an old dirt road so there was plenty of room for them to pass, but they wouldn't, so we began to worry it might be a policeman who had seen the kid and was going to pull us over.

Well, we detoured down a windy side road (again, a dirt road) and the pick up truck went on straight, so we thought we were good. Well, the road we were on wound around but eventually took us back to the road we were on (just down a little ways), where the pick up that had been behind us was sitting at the intersection, waiting for us.

I don't know if it was something out of the ordinary, or if maybe it was just some drunk kids out looking for trouble on Halloween night, but it scared us all to death. We flew away, and they followed us for a while, but I was going too fast for the road we were on, and we got away.
    When the stars shine bright through the engine's trail
    And the dust of another world drops behind
    When my ship is free of the open sky
    That's a damn good day to my way of mind

There's a barren planet you never can leave
    There's a rocky valley where we lost a war
    There's a cross once hung round a soldier's neck
    There's a man's faith died on Serenity's floor

But I stood my ground and I'll fly once more
    It's the last oath that I ever swore
    - Mal's song by Michelle Dockrey and Joss

Local legend called Clayborn House

Where I live in Missouri there is a local legend of the Clayborn House.
    (It still sits atop a tall Gasconade bluff.)

About ninety years ago, Tabitha Clayborn blew her husband's head off with a shotgun one stormy night, then took her own life in the same manner while her children watched in horror.
    Tabitha Clayborn was buried near here, on the fringes of the private family plot, her grave facing west, a traditional sign meaning her soul is dammed for all eternity.
    Ever since that night, "Things" have been seen at Clayborn House....Blue lights, the figure of a woman coming down the stairs....some believe Tabitha still haunts her unhappy home.

There are many who have been to the site to visit the spooky old stone mansion, and it has been reported that they never made it inside before they would run back to their vehicles and leave!

They said the vibes of that house was unlike anything they have ever felt before. Someone described it as pure, cold, & evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Laisrean View Post
    I think local myths and monsters kick ass, and many of them are not heard of by anyone who lives outside of the area. That wolf-dog thing recently found in Maine is a perfect example of a local legend. For 15 years there were whispers of some bizarre creature there, and now the carcass has been found which proves there was something to the legend.

In my area there are a few local legends that I am aware of, and probably more that I'm not. I know that in the late 60's there was a report of a woman being attacked by a bigfoot in my area. That's pretty much it as far as bigfoot sightings go, that I know of.... my area is probably too far developed now to sustain such a creature (if it ever did).

I wish I knew of any local ghosts or anything else, but I can't say I know of anything like that around here...

What are some local legends in your area? I would love to hear any tales of local ghosts, curses, monsters, UFOs, aliens, lake monsters, and any other bizarre happenings that no one outside of your area really knows about.

There's a town near here, Ancaster, where there's a burned-out, falling down, and abandoned old stone mansion that is called the Hermitage for reasons I will never be able to determine. It's a popular party spot for those lousy teenagers and is also quite haunted. There are a few stories about someone who hanged himself for love and was buried nearby, which is why a nearby road is called Lover's Lane.
    In St. Catharines, which is a bit further afield, you've got such interesting things as the Blue Ghost Tunnel (fun) and the Screaming Tunnel (boring). There's a story that there was this little girl who somehow caught fire (either accidentally or on purpose), ran into the tunnel, and died in the middle of it. Apparently if you light a match there at the stroke of midnight, there'll be a hideous scream and the match will be blown out. It doesn't work with lighters :P
    Hamilton has a LOT of waterfalls and there are two (Albion Falls and the Devil's Punchbowl) that are reputed lover's leaps.

My legend is much less gory, and monstrous. My mother did a master's thesisi on it as folklore... it even has songs, it quite a Appalachia thing. The story is generally called Lost in the Woods

in the 1800s two little little kids (under 6) wandered away from their rural home on a bright summer's day.At first the parents weren't too worried but as night started to fall, and they didn't return they neighbor's were roused and the whole area started looking for them. They found nothing for 3 days, then a local psychic came forward and said she had been dreaming that the children had been cared for by a bear. She gave a good enough description of the area that some trackers were able to place it and found footprints of a bear and the kids and signs that they had indeed snuggled up with the bear to keep warm.
    Then the lady dreamed of a shoe in leaves and again directed the trackers to a place where they found bits of the children's clothing, including shoes. Nearby they found the bodies of the 2 children, they had died of exposure.

The song says that the birds had covered their bodies with leaves.

is offline The PG-13-safe Title holder - WooHoo!!
    ....a thousand angels dance around you....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    We have a story that dates back to the 18th century. There are dozens of different versions of it.. X-files borrowed the theme for one of its eppisodes..

The origin of the creature dates back to the 18th century. The story goes as follows: when Mrs. Leeds, an indigent woman living in secluded poverty with her twelve starving children, found out she was to have another child exclaimed: "I don't want any more children! Let it be a devil." When the child was born, it was horribly deformed. It crawled from the womb and up the chimney and out into the woods. It is rumored to have fed on small children and livestock while haunting the area for years to come. Hence, the creatures other name is the Leeds Devil.

here is a link to an article which was featured in strangemag.com
    http://www.strangemag.com/jerseydevil1.html
    I was wonderin' if one of my fellow Jerseyites would post here so i didn't have to...

there's also a movie, a video game and tons o' books....

I've been campin' a few times in the pine barrens and some weird crap happens there, oh the stories...
    "If there's a Heaven up above I know
    she's teaching angels how to love"
    ~ R. Kelly....and me
    Love you, mom....

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." --- Aristotle

"Friendship is the beginning of love; love is the beginning of life."
    ~Source Unknown

"And our scars remind us, that the past is real, I tear my heart open....just to feel..." ~ Papa Roach

"Yeah, I think I'll have more luck with the girl if I'm drunk, cause a drunk me is like a sober you"
    ~ one of my co-workers

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/cheshireeyes

"*shakes head* Without CE there would be no reason to drop by MW!" ~~~ lowlinora
    http://www.mysticwicks.com/showpost....&postcount=114

is offline Searching for my path . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewillow View Post
    Yorkshire's full of ghostly legends and hauntings. York is said to be one of the most haunted cities in the world.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/yo...s/yorkdata.php

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/05/May/ghosts.shtml

It's been said that Robin Hood (or at least a person that the legend was supposedly based apon)was actually buried in Yorkshire, and was said to be a Yorkshireman himself. Legend or not, who knows. I take it with a grain of salt, myself. There could have been plenty of people doing the sort of thing that his legend was based apon.

http://www.mysterymag.com/hauntedbri...=115&artID=282

http://www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk/haunts5.htm
    OMG I've been to York, back in '93 when I went to Europe with my family. We went on ghost tour in York and they told us all kinds of scary stories about people dying from the plague and such. Scared me so bad I begged my parents to leave in the middle of the tour, which we did (I was only 12 and a big scaredy cat hehe).
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup."
    ~*~Bumper Sticker~*~

is offline Just another brick in the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewillow View Post
    Yorkshire's full of ghostly legends and hauntings. York is said to be one of the most haunted cities in the world.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/yo...s/yorkdata.php

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/05/May/ghosts.shtml

It's been said that Robin Hood (or at least a person that the legend was supposedly based apon)was actually buried in Yorkshire, and was said to be a Yorkshireman himself. Legend or not, who knows. I take it with a grain of salt, myself. There could have been plenty of people doing the sort of thing that his legend was based apon.

http://www.mysterymag.com/hauntedbri...=115&artID=282

http://www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk/haunts5.htm
    Robin Hood is supposed to have come from Wentbridge near Pontefract, or born in Wakefield on the site of the new(ish) bus station on Marsh Way.

But Pontefract and the 5 towns area around Pontfract is haunted. As the town dates back to the Saxon era, it has history as welll as numerous ghosts. First off is the 1966-68 haunting on East drive, Pontefract. The Black monk haunting was more poltergiest than ghost. Even though it did pick up the gloves and conduct their singing while it caused mayhem to "Onward Christian Soldiers (which was written in Horbury near Wakefield). It even threw the large clock down the stairs after the local MP at the time visited the house. Some say the hauntings still happen. Reason for the hauntings is that a monk was hung for getting a local girl pregnant on Monkhill, Pontefract near to the site of East Drive.

Pontefract castle is where Richard III died (red hot poker ) but the castle has up to 6 ghosts. On the main green where they used to grow liquerice for th Pontefract cakes is the grey/white lady. Also is a duel of 2 swordsman and in the keep some feel the chill and that of being watched.

Salter Row in Pontefract is haunted. Taps turn on and things move. Even the Counting House, an old 14th century house (now a bar/resteraunt) is haunted by 2 children and an old woman that sits near the fire. ALso in town is a Cluanic monestary site before the reformation tore it down is also haunted. A nearby roman road has seen a leigon of soldiers marching from the knees up. A wood near Ledston Luck is haunted by a "witch". she was the last UK witch burned at the stake.

Those are the main ones that are known in that area. Here in Wakefield there are some, but I will have to look up in the library and museum any information regarding ghosts ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliona View Post
    OMG I've been to York, back in '93 when I went to Europe with my family. We went on ghost tour in York and they told us all kinds of scary stories about people dying from the plague and such. Scared me so bad I begged my parents to leave in the middle of the tour, which we did (I was only 12 and a big scaredy cat hehe).
    I love York! lol I've only been there once, and I haven't been on a ghost tour, but I seriously want to go back! When I went, I was in a wheelchair so it made getting around on some of those cobblestone streets a total drag......I think I'll wait til I'm walking again!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Kristle.Benton

Go then. There are other worlds than these.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." --- Groucho Marx

"I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows." --- Henry David Thoreau

We all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast