Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Local Legends (please share yours)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluoxetine View Post
    Robin Hood is supposed to have come from Wentbridge near Pontefract, or born in Wakefield on the site of the new(ish) bus station on Marsh Way.

But Pontefract and the 5 towns area around Pontfract is haunted. As the town dates back to the Saxon era, it has history as welll as numerous ghosts. First off is the 1966-68 haunting on East drive, Pontefract. The Black monk haunting was more poltergiest than ghost. Even though it did pick up the gloves and conduct their singing while it caused mayhem to "Onward Christian Soldiers (which was written in Horbury near Wakefield). It even threw the large clock down the stairs after the local MP at the time visited the house. Some say the hauntings still happen. Reason for the hauntings is that a monk was hung for getting a local girl pregnant on Monkhill, Pontefract near to the site of East Drive.

Pontefract castle is where Richard III died (red hot poker ) but the castle has up to 6 ghosts. On the main green where they used to grow liquerice for th Pontefract cakes is the grey/white lady. Also is a duel of 2 swordsman and in the keep some feel the chill and that of being watched.

Salter Row in Pontefract is haunted. Taps turn on and things move. Even the Counting House, an old 14th century house (now a bar/resteraunt) is haunted by 2 children and an old woman that sits near the fire. ALso in town is a Cluanic monestary site before the reformation tore it down is also haunted. A nearby roman road has seen a leigon of soldiers marching from the knees up. A wood near Ledston Luck is haunted by a "witch". she was the last UK witch burned at the stake.

Those are the main ones that are known in that area. Here in Wakefield there are some, but I will have to look up in the library and museum any information regarding ghosts ETC.
    Wow, those are some pretty freaky tales! I've been wanting to visit Pontefract Castle for some time. There are so many places I want to go here in England as well as Ireland and Scotland.....places with this wealth of paranormal activity, hauntings, e.t.c. This country is so rich in history, and so many places have such fascinating tales to tell!

I've been trying to find out more about where I live in particular, Ripponden. I haven't found anything so far, other than first-hand experiences by myself and others. I've found loads of info on hauntings in West Yorkshire, and while I wouldn't mess with the unknown and I have respect for it, I find it immensely fascinating.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Kristle.Benton

Go then. There are other worlds than these.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." --- Groucho Marx

"I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows." --- Henry David Thoreau

We all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.

is offline Just another brick in the wall
    Well basically Pontefract is one of the best haunted town in West Yorkshire. Even the Queens Hotel (now sadly closed) has something like 5 ghosts and a vortex. One of which I heard while looking around the place in early 1993. Also was see nwere the light flickering below room 5, which is where a white dressed lady roams from rooms 5, up the stairs and into the first room where she disappears.

Also a Victorian man, small boy and other ghosts are there. It is built on top of the pit where the bodies were thrown in from the Black Death (could be local gossip though). One good feature is the Hermits cave. It is built on top of the psychiatric wing of Pontefract hospital (well it was that part when I lived near there) and when you walk down it has a reverse corkscrew staircase and a skeleton carved into the wall. Rumour has it that the water below the enterence has healing powers. One rumour has it that a young girl was cured after bathing in the water and was able to walk again. Unfoutunatly in the 1980's a small quake shifted the geology enough to make the water sink.

But Pontefract has it's tales of battles, ghosts and hauntings. Colin Wilson's book Poltergiest is one of the books to read. It has a documented account of the Black Monk and is near (if not more disturbing) than the Enfield Poltergiest. But as Pontefract is a very historic town dating back before th discovery of America, it is no wonder it is haunted. Even the line from Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy says: "Even the ghosts will have settled down and have children...". Pontefract is that old.

Heres one I posted a (looong) while back:

I'm living in Seguin, Texas, which has your run-of-the-mill ghosties, but I grew up in Columbus, Texas, and boy howdy....

South of Columbus there is a weathered old three storey Victorian mansion with a widow's watch on top. This is the Stafford House (not the Stafford Opera House that googling will get you - I couldn't google anything on the Stafford House.) I remember it being near the road, there is a lot of land around it, or was, if it hasn't been developed.

Read Carrie Estelle Stafford's obit for mention of the house, and a shootout downtown that many people still remembered when I was a kid:
    http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/ob...tsstafford.htm

Janice Woods Windle states in True Women that Columbus was unpoliced because the Staffords kept killing the sherriffs. And what did not make the papers was what a lot of old people told me: The Staffords were reputedly sadistic and sociopathic. If a person was passing through the area, they would capture them and use them as slave labor. The old men told me that they put a black man inside of a cow, cut the cow open and forced the man in the belly cavity with just his head sticking out then whipstitched the dying cow closed and left it to lurch around with this guy's head sticking out.
    Who knows what kind of sick things happened out there that nobody ever heard about...

Needless to say, there are manifestations on the property. At the turn of the century there were mysterious mutilations of people, kind of like cattle mutilations, and sightings of what people called a "Goat Man". All of this has become folklorised, I found this on a message board:

ShortiFeb 5 2006, 08:48 PM
    We have a goatman here in the Colorado/Fayette county area over here in Texas. There's a Goatman Woods, Bridge and road, all three are supposed to have the spirit of the goatman lruking around. Except the legend goes way back into the 1800s, it's still pretty interesting.

There was a man who lived in the woods, and he was somewhat deformed, but he had the look of him like a goat, thus giving him the named the goatman. He would often kidnap the local children, do what he pleased with them, and then either kill them, or kill and eat them. He'd skin them, too, because he wore a goatskin over himself, and he's wear the children's skin. No one ever caught him until a few years later, where they hung him on this big oak tree. Well, right before he was to be hung, he made a pact with the devil, where he'd later come back, except when he did, he had a human man body, but the head of a goat.

Now the tree is still here, alive and everything, but they say at night if you drive by, you can see his body hanging there. And you know which tree it is because it hangs completely over the road, (its a little country road) and if you go there and turn off your lights and stuff, he's supposed to come. Then you'd better high-tail it out of there as fsat as you can. In Goatman woods, thats where he was said to live, because it was the town around that area. This is all around the area of Weimar, Columbus, and Schulenburg, Texas. They're three little towns within a short distance of eachother.

But the way I heard it from the old people, the goat man and the wild man were two different beings. The wild man was just a guy who escaped from prison in the early 20th century and lived wild in the woods in the Millers Crossing area of Cummins Creek, north of Columbus. He basically didn't want to be bothered. But the Goat Man is real cryptozoology stuff, like the
    Moth Man. I think he comes to tell people when things have run horribly amok.
    Last edited by stella01904; September 12th, 2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: There is more than one Carrie Stafford in the obits!

Now that goatman story is a good urban tale. Sort of thing that I love to read about. Thanks for sharing that.

Now that goatman story is a good urban tale. Sort of thing that I love to read about. Thanks for sharing that.
    I'll second that sentiment. :D

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." --- Groucho Marx

"I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows." --- Henry David Thoreau

Bluewillow, if you ever want to go to Pontefract castle or see the area, let me know. I know the area well enough if you want someone to point out the places of hauntings/old buildings.

I was watching a special on zoocrptologist {not sure of spelling} but they actually reseach the legends, what a fun job! anyways, the special talked about the Jersy devil and a few others I had never heard of,
    here in Utah we dont have much as far as creatures,well big foot.. and most of our legends are native american legends we have a few haunted places here though..
    Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Bluewillow, if you ever want to go to Pontefract castle or see the area, let me know. I know the area well enough if you want someone to point out the places of hauntings/old buildings.
    Thank you! That would be very helpful, and it's very kind of you to offer! I'll be sure to let you know when I finally get around to going. :D

A goat-man? Oh, Wilbur Whately, your time has come again! Ia Ia!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast