Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Local Legends (please share yours)

We have two local legends relating to Campbelltown, Aus. One is a ghost story from the 1800's. The story is basically that a Local man (Fred Fisher) goes missing, and his neighbour tells the police that he has gone home to England. Later a 'respectable local man' claims to have seen the ghost of the missing man sitting on the railing of a bridge, pointing into the river. The police then inspected the river, only to find the body of the missing man. Every year there is a festival (Called the Fisher's Ghost Festival, inventive eh?) and they hold a fete, and a parade and a race in the now dry river bed where the body was found.

Our second local legend is far more recent. There have been several reports of a large black cat living in the bushland around where I live. There have been over 100 sightings (not all credible though) and not too long ago there was meant to be a cryptozoologist coming out our way to look at the evidence. The cat is known as the Wedderburn Panther. It probably wouldn't be a big deal, except that there aren't meant to be any large preditory animals here. We have feral cats and dogs, but that is meant to be it.

There is also a ledgend that say there are lions living in the bush about 25kms away, that escaped from the lion park that used to operate up until about 10 years ago. But I don't know too much about that one.

Let's see I live about an hour away from Alton, IL....wait it might be an hour and a half no that my man and I have moved to be closer to his college. There are so many stories about Alton, that some have been mixed up, but there are stories about the giant (who was a real person) the prison, the spa, and if I remember right there are plenty of resources for it.

I lived in Okawville, IL for a while, and their biggest story is at the Okawville Springs Hotel. Collinsville has a legend about the Nine Gates of Hell being a series of tunnels. Most people have gone through parts of it if they live or visit the area. Highland has an allegedly haunted old B&B and the Masonic lodge is across the street. Then there's Lebanon, IL where McKendree college is located and there's as many stories around there as there are known about Alton. That's just the stories I've actually heard. Of course the college is supposedly haunted and one of the graveyards near it has a legend about one of it's members. I wasn't even tempted to visit it after I heard the story, which is saying something since I seem to always want to check out the things that seem to scare others off.

The only thing is I've never heard any legends that stem from Native Americans, and I've been to Cahokia Mounds several times. Got weird vibes from it to, but everything I've heard was focused around European settlers in Southern IL not Native Americans. So I wonder which ones have been kept a secret from outsiders considering that most of the area was extremely private from others. Highland's main roads even avoid the main parts the original town in an effort to keep people from moving in, at least that's what my old middle school American History teacher claimed.

The most talked about around here is Edgefield. It use to be an asylum and has been turned into a bed and breakfast with a restaurant and theater. Every year the local news stations do something about ghosts and such and this place is always on the top of the list.

Its actually and very beautiful place with the vineyard and all. They make their own wines and such.
    "A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam" ~ Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

I live in Northern Ireland, which is part of Ulster, so legend wise Ulster has it's own cycle of mythology. The Táin, Craobh Rua, Cú Chulainn, are all rich in this province.

More recent wise, there's an Estate called Gillhall close to my work that's supposedly haunted. There's an old story along with the estate that all the locals know. The army actually blew the actual mansion up in WWII, but to this day locals, including my wife and brother in law all have stories about that place.

I'm originally from St. Louis, MO, which happens to be where the historic account that inspired the film, The Exorcist took place. I grew up hearing stories from my parent's poker friends about weird phenomenon happening in the wing of the Alexian Brother's Hospital that it happened in, until it was destroyed. St. Louis always had a weird vibe to it. Hitchhike Annie is one similar to Resurrection Mary, phantom hitch hikers. It's a place that's always had a close relationship with New Orleans, and fro some reason Marilyn Manson prefers to do St. Louis gigs on Halloween. Needless to say, there's al,ways been a huge pagan scene in STL
    Semper Fidelis

I live near Dundee, Wisconsin. This is a huge hotspot for UFO activity and there is actually a UFO/alien convention here. It's not gigantic like one you'd find in say Roswell, New Mexico but for such a small village it's a pretty big event. There's actually a bar there that's UFO themed because of it. And one guy... I think he is the owner of the bar? He claims that he and his son were abducted and he watched aliens perform experiments on his son. Local legend.

We also have alleged werewolf sightings. To be honest, though, I think they're just wolves... wolves were wiped out of this area, but some may have migrated from areas they're being reintroduced.

In Rhinelander, Wisconsin the local legend is the Hodag. That was based on this taxidermy piece that was built of a bunch of random animals much in the way "mermaids" in Cabinets of Curiosities used to be made by sewing a monkey to a fish. I don't know that anybody actually believes in Hodags anymore, but it makes for a fun legend.

Here in Rual Oklahoma there's a lot of stories. The nearby lake is supposedly home to some kind of monster - Either a "freshwater octopus", "prehistoric whale" or "monster-sized catfish". Regardless of the supposed cause there are a lot of drowning deaths there. A sort of sub-legend has formed around a cliffside semi-underwater cave that most of the local occultists consider to be housing a hellaciously bad-tempered unseelie fay.

There are some shape-shifter/werewolf/*hemhemskinwalkerhemhem* legends out here as well. A werewolf-like beast, about human height, who is usually seen when there are high winds is reported pretty often. A spectral howl, which seems to "fade" in and out of hearing range, usually silencing the other coyotes and dogs is common, as is the howling of an unmistakable pack of wolves.

We have some "real" legends. A pack of wolves that are the offspring of a pair (or more, we're not sure) of "freed" 90% timberwolf-dogs from the 80s.

My personal favorite is the "bone thing". It's a nasty chest-high thing that looks like it's made of bones and tar (i.e. owl scat). Thankfully it only seems to show up long enough to be see, scare the tinkles out of someone, and vanish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I lived here all my life.... this town is "F"ed all around. The whole area is!
    This woman made a business of it!
    http://www.burlingtonnews.net/talkaboutit.html

Any "normal" person living here won't be in a few years! LOL

And we have "The beast of Bray Rd." BTW.... the movie was nothing like around here ... or the beast... My son and I saw the real thing about 15 years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Bray_Road

Hummm....seems I posted before! (It's this town I tell you... the town! Makes you do strange things!) LOL
    Last edited by Cindlady2; September 18th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I don't know to many from around here. But when I was living up in Indiana we did have one that has always scared the crap out of people.

Up in Indiana there are several abandoned one room school houses. Near Warsaw In. there seems to be one that is housing a pretty nasty specter. Sometime in the late 1800's there was a lady who was a piece of work who used to torture some of the children she taught. What she did supposedly is up to some speculation, but whatever it is she got herself strung up in the only tree in the yard. And now of course she is said to haunt that piece of property.

My best friend, who has always been able to see ghosts, decided to go and check it out at midnight. They pulled up to the corner, (it's situated on the right hand side of a crossroads intersection.) and flash their lights at the school house. After several minutes of nothing the rest of the group decides to get out and explore, leaving my friend in the car. Her boyfriend of the time gets a bit ticked off at not seeing anything and gets the brilliant idea to drain the vein on the "hanging" tree. BF looks up into the tree and see 'Sister Sarah' peering down at her through the branches. Freaking out, she calls to them and tells them to get their rears back into the car. She said that the thing just didn't look like most of the other ghosts she had seen, and it left her feeling wrong for awhile.

Now, I have beem around her for a long time and I know that she doesn't lie about this stuff. But, here is something that happened that actually made the papers. A man about twenty years of age hits the "hanging" tree dead on one night on his way to work. There was nothing that they could figure out that had caused the wreck. He had just gotten up, so he didn't fall asleep at the wheel. There were no tire marks suggesting he had slammed on the brakes or what not to avoid anything in the road, it was driven simply straight on into that tree. The tree isn't exactly right at the corner but off into the yard a little bit. They wrote up the story in the papers, and interviewed the wife. She said that the reason listed from the autopsy as the cause of death was "natural causes" but he didn't have a heart-attack or brain aneurism, so she wasn't quite sure how they had come to that conclusion. He had simply hit the tree, there were no apparent reasons for it. Was this the work of a malevolent spirit or a freak accident>>>

Cheers!!

I grew up with the stories of Monte Cristo. That house is seriously creepy. I remember when I was little and my parents drove past it I would scrunch down in the back seat so I wouldn't see it lol. Then again I did the same thing with with a giant painting of Alf on the side of a building.

http://www.montecristo.com.au/hauntings.html

The only things I've heard of come from Fremantle near Perth, Aus. I've been to the old Fremantle Jail countless times (the ghost tours are the best), and there are quite a few stories you hear about. Probably the best known one is of Martha Rendell, who was the first WA woman (and one of three women) hung in I think 1909. She was convicted of killing her husband's son, and was accused of also killing his two young daughters (who died of having hydrochloric acid put to the back of their throats). It's said that her ghost can be seen in the window of the large chapel, and I know many people who have claimed to see her.

Also, I don't live there, but I've been there enough times as it is: Port Arthur Penitentiary in Hobart, Aus. My mum grew up about an hour away from it, and I LOVE this place, it's incredibly creepy. Unfortunately I've never done a night tour.
    The Lady Blue is a young woman, probably a teenager, who appears around the accountant's house and the parsonage. She was probably one of the accountants' wives - we can't prove it - she died in childbirth and so she's often very sad, she's often crying, and sometimes she talks to kids. One young child on the veranda was in its mother's arms and it struggled and said, "Mummy, put me down." When the child ran down the veranda and threw its arms up as if expecting to be picked up, they asked what was going on. It replied, "The nice lady who lives here wants to play." Between 1,100 and 1,200 people are buried on the Isle of the Dead here, and another 35 were murdered at Port Arthur in 1996 during the Port Arthur Massacre.
    For more interesting stories, Ghost Hunters International visited Port Arthur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=MYVvuLpNUT0&feature=related (just take out the enter between the ? and the v).
    Last edited by Airia; September 18th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast