Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 100

Thread: Bad Pagan Sites?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Communistwealth of Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,618
    I do know a site but I can't name it here since it's a rival site of MysticWicks

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,569
    Quote Originally Posted by RainInanna View Post
    Being a human being who can make my own decisions and have my own opinions gives me just as much right to consider LaVeyan Satanism not to be Pagan, or D&D not to be Wicca. Just as others have the right to feel it can be, I have the right to feel it can't be. Just because I disagree with them does not mean I prevent them from believing what they like, but we are all intelligent beings with the right, if not responsibility, to form our own opinions.

    Of course people have a right to believe the relevant "fiction" they choose, and in turn, others have a right to disagree. We go to online forums to share opinions. Not just to play a game of who has the right to believe what and who's a big fat meanie head.
    Actually, that was exactly my point. We all have the right to choose for ourselves what we believe - and no one else has the right to tell us that our faith is invalid, or wrong, or "less real" because it's not something that they themselves believe.

    As for saying what is and isn't Paganism - let's get elementary for a moment:
    "any of various religions other than Christianity or Judaism or Islam" - http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=paganism

    "Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "an old country dweller, rustic") is a term which, from a Western perspective, has come to connote a broad set of spiritual or cultic practices or beliefs of any folk religion, and of historical and contemporary polytheism religions in particular." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

    "1.pagan spirit or attitude in religious or moral questions. 2.the beliefs or practices of pagans. 3.the state of being a pagan." - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paganism
    I wasn't being a "big fat meanie head" nor was I calling anyone else that - I am simply stating that for someone who calls themselves a Pagan who believes in the validity of all religions, we cannot out of hand dismiss someone else's faith just because we find it silly or hard to believe. By definition, being a Pagan is anything not related to a "main stream" religion. Nothing more or less.

    (Note: If it seems like this is a topic close to my heart, that's because it is. My ancestors, in the fairly recent past, were tortured in camps and forced to flee their homelands because someone took it upon themselves to decide officially what counted as a "real" religion - and it wasn't what they believed.

    I believe in the tolerance and open-mindedness espoused by many Pagans I have known, and try to foster that mentality in others.

    This doesn't mean I don't understand that some sites can be inaccurate in their facts
    , or take pure fiction and attempt to pass it off as historical accuracy. That isn't what I'm referring to though. I'm referring to this as a matter of faith, and tolerance.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In Fairyland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,383
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLili View Post
    Actually, that was exactly my point. We all have the right to choose for ourselves what we believe - and no one else has the right to tell us that our faith is invalid, or wrong, or "less real" because it's not something that they themselves believe.
    Of course I have the right to tell you I disagree with you. Even when I think D&D is not Wicca. Even when I say Satanism isn't Paganism in my opinion. Even if you don't like it. I have just as much right to think, form an opinion, and post it here, as you do. Just as much right as you have to think my belief on this is wrong. And of course you do, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

    Even sweeping that aside, no one said Satanism is wrong, someone said it's not Paganism. For goodness sake, I used to be a Satanist!

    It's the difference between saying a toad is wrong, or saying a toad is not a mammal. One is a value judgment, one is a matter of classification with no value judgment whatsoever.

    I never said Satanism or D&D are wrong, I said they aren't Paganism or Wicca. Whatever value judgment you got out of it was your own.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

    "Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

    "When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In Fairyland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,383
    Incidentally, no LaVeyan Satanist I know would call themself a Pagan because LVS is considered a philosophy, not a religion, and considers belief in an outside deity to be idiotic if not sinful. LaVey actually made disparaging remarks about Wiccans and "white light" Pagans in The Satanic Bible for that reason. I was a LaVeyan Satanist myself for awhile, although ultimately I prefer to work with some form of the Sacred. Atheists, Buddhists, and Taoists are three other examples of folks who are not Christian, Judaic, or Islamic, but often would not like to be called Pagan.

    Luciferian Satanists can be a little less clear on the subject, since they may actually work with or worship a deity and consider themselves Pagan. I do believe David19 is interested in that subject, should you want to learn more.
    Last edited by RainInanna; January 11th, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

    "Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

    "When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,064
    I do know a site but I can't name it here since it's a rival site of MysticWicks
    yep I can imagine who your referring to to .

    Let's discuss the really BAD Pagan sites
    I know of several of them and have long left them. And I do not view them as bad due to their beliefs, it is either it is how they treat their members and thier out right hypocrisy and slander that gets to me and either that or how I have been treated personally.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,569
    Quote Originally Posted by RainInanna View Post
    Incidentally, no LaVeyan Satanist I know would call themself a Pagan because LVS is considered a philosophy, not a religion, and considers belief in an outside deity to be idiotic if not sinful. LaVey actually made disparaging remarks about Wiccans and "white light" Pagans in The Satanic Bible for that reason. I was a LaVeyan Satanist myself for awhile, although ultimately I prefer to work with some form of the Sacred.
    So what does this mean for Satanic Witches and/or Satanic Wiccans? Not popular paths, but they most definitely exist. I believe it was LaVey's daughter who literally wrote the book on being a Satanic Witch.

    Quote Originally Posted by RainInanna View Post
    Atheists, Buddhists, and Taoists are three other examples of folks who are not Christian, Judaic, or Islamic, but often would not like to be called Pagan.
    Atheists and Agnostics can immediately be removed from the issue because they are also philosophies, by definition. The debate over whether or not Taoists, Buddhists, Hindus, etc are considered to be Pagans or not seems to boil down to each person's regional or societal situation. There are some religious factions in the U.S. who very much lump ALL non-Christian religions together under the Pagan umbrella. Because it is such a variable term in and of itself, I don't know that there's a real objective, empirical answer to that quandry. Personally, I don't consider them to be Pagans in the current popular sense either, and most who I know who follow those paths tend to agree.
    Last edited by BlackLili; January 11th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Communistwealth of Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,618
    I don't know why but anymore I have trouble finding pagan message boards when I do search engines. Maybe there's not a lot of them anymore. When I was a teenager they seemed vast.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In Fairyland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,383
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLili View Post
    So what does this mean for Satanic Witches and/or Satanic Wiccans? Not popular paths, but they most definitely exist. I believe it was LaVey's daughter who literally wrote the book on being a Satanic Witch.
    I have no idea whatsoever how people could reconcile Satanism and Wicca. I don't see how it's possible. Maybe they're referring to Luciferian Satanism?

    I don't particularly like LaVey's daughter, and haven't read her book. I suspect her idea of Witchcraft is very different from what I consider it to be, and what I consider Paganism.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

    "Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

    "When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,064
    I don't know why but anymore I have trouble finding pagan message boards when I do search engines.
    I Still find them but it is a case of finding one that can challenge me, or teach me anything that is hard to find..

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    21,177
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensEye View Post
    yep I can imagine who your referring to to.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
    I do know a site but I can't name it here since it's a rival site of MysticWicks
    Oh grow up. Talking about this one?

    I hope not, because that hardly qualifies as a pagan site.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

    I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •