Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Bad Pagan Sites?

Although I haven't actually visited that particular site, I've seen many of their members on other forums and they seem focused on bad-mouthing other web sites and other people rather than having actual discussions about anything I would find meaningful. Their premise sounds good, but their execution is rather twisted.

Why is it ok for the Bar and Grill to be mentioned and even linked to in this thread but yet other threads that mention the the Bar and Grill get closed right away?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    Unless you consider Satanism to be a form of (reverse) Christianity -- at least those varieties of Satanists who rely on Christian mythology fit that bill.

If it fits into the Christian category then it's by definition not Pagan.
    Not really. Satan in any sense still isn't the god of abraham (YHVH).

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    But he is part of that mythos, neh?

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    I'm not so confident that it's that simple. After all, there are some Christians (gnostics for instance) who believe that the god of the New Testament is not the same being as the god of Abraham and the Old Testament. So if they still count as Christians (since they base their religion on the New Testament and worship the god of the New Testament) why shouldn't other religious groups that base themselves on the mythology of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam not fall in that category, and therefore fall outside the Pagan category?

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Ah Ben, you are one MWer that I have missed dearly. So glad you are still here. The thread seems to be sort of hi-jacked by this topic.

I had the pleasure of spending time with a Satanist when I lived in San Pedro. He was my neighbor and we walked our dogs together. According to him, Satanism has nothing to do with deity whatsoever. In a very rudimentary explanation, one could say that true Satanism is a form of Atheism... at least according to him.

So Ben is correct. Satanism is not classified as Pa ga nism based on the two scenarios given - either a form of Atheism or as a derivitive of the Christian faith.

There is a third choice, which could be classified as Pa gan and that is Chaos or Followers of Set. This is very clearly a Pa gan religion. However, once again, any website which refers to this particular path as Satanism is misguided.
    I think long signatures are a waste of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentor View Post
    Though it might be a good site for some, but it does not necessarily intend to be a p a g a n site. Last time I checked, a lot of the discussions revolved around defacing web sites and upsetting the general (internet) populace. One doesn't have to be involved in either to be p a g a n. But being involved in either does make you a person I wish to avoid. Thus I choose to avoid the entire site.
    That site aside, do you consider Discordians and Subgeni p a g a ns?

Just curious on your thoughts

WInter
    And you don't like being huged with? Well, welcome to Discordia, dumbass. This is what happens when you try to lean on the weird. - Little Billy

Quote Originally Posted by BeachWitch View Post
    Ah Ben, you are one MWer that I have missed dearly. So glad you are still here. The thread seems to be sort of hi-jacked by this topic.

I had the pleasure of spending time with a Satanist when I lived in San Pedro. He was my neighbor and we walked our dogs together. According to him, Satanism has nothing to do with deity whatsoever. In a very rudimentary explanation, one could say that true Satanism is a form of Atheism... at least according to him.

So Ben is correct. Satanism is not classified as Pa ga nism based on the two scenarios given - either a form of Atheism or as a derivitive of the Christian faith.

There is a third choice, which could be classified as Pa gan and that is Chaos or Followers of Set. This is very clearly a Pa gan religion. However, once again, any website which refers to this particular path as Satanism is misguided.
    So Atheists arent p a g a n?

Winter
    And you don't like being huged with? Well, welcome to Discordia, dumbass. This is what happens when you try to lean on the weird. - Little Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    Although I haven't actually visited that particular site, I've seen many of their members on other forums and they seem focused on bad-mouthing other web sites and other people rather than having actual discussions about anything I would find meaningful. Their premise sounds good, but their execution is rather twisted.
    Meh to each their own. I have found the site full of good people that I consider friends...which is rare on the internet. I have also gained comparable knowledge from that site and enjoy the discussions there. We all travel paths....some ways are just a bit more twisted.:hehehehe:

Winter

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Here is a very good link that explains this issue well:

Is Satanism "Pagan"?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast